#259024 - 04/13/13 12:12 PM If you Drink, Don't Drive into the River
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Another is the Continuing Series, "What's Happening in the National Parks"

Buffalo National Scenic River (AR)
Two Make Unsuccessful Effort To Cross River In SUV

On April 6th, district ranger and swiftwater technician Kevin Moses was off duty at his private residence a half mile from a busy river launch area when he was contacted by visitors who advised him that an SUV was partially submerged in the river at Mt. Hersey Campground. They also said that they did not know if anyone was in the vehicle or in immediate danger. Moses headed to the campground, where he observed a 1992 Chevy Blazer in the middle of the river, facing upstream, with the entire lower half of its body submerged in the very swift, cold current. Moses donned swiftwater PPE for swimming and/or wading to the vehicle, conducted a quick risk analysis using the SPE model, determined the operation to be well within "The Green," and called for a wrecker. Ranger and swiftwater technician Melissa Moses arrived on scene a few minutes later and provided downstream throw bag safety while Kevin Moses made his way to the vehicle. He determined that no one was in, around, or under it and attached the cable from the wrecker, which pulled it from the river without incident. Moses impounded the vehicle until he could determine who its owner and/or driver was. Investigation revealed that a brother and sister had borrowed the vehicle from an associate to “test the four-wheel drive” prior to possibly purchasing it and decided that attempting to cross the four-foot-deep river, flowing at 1,100 cubic feet per second, would serve perfectly for such a test. The driver was issued violation notices for careless operation, leaving the scene of an accident, and creating a hazardous condition. After being questioned about the eight empty beer cans floating in the SUV’s interior, the passenger was issued a violation notice for possession of an open container of an alcoholic beverage.

Would someone please brinng me up to date. What in the dickens is "risk analysis using the SPE model"? Is it any different from standing on the bank, scratching your head, and thinking "I dunno about this?" (I've done that for years).

Cheers

Edited by hikermor (04/13/13 07:14 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#259030 - 04/13/13 04:46 PM Re: If you Drink, Don't Drive into the River [Re: hikermor]
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
My brother, oldest son, and I came up on this scene last Saturday as we were pulling into the Mt. Hersey access from an overnight kayak/hammock trip.

Thanks for posting this, as we didn't hear much about the circumstances on that day. We watched the proceedings as we were loading out. For a little bit, we were doubting whether the 5500 wrecker was enough....lotta water, lotta current, lotta weight!

#259049 - 04/13/13 07:04 PM Re: If you Drink, Don't Drive into the River [Re: hikermor]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Would someone please brinng me up to date. What in the dickens is "risk analysis using the SPE model"? Is it any different from standing on the bank, scratching your head, and thinking "I dunno about this?" (I've done that for ears).

Cheers

Scratch Posterior End Model?

That engine is definitely gone, 4 ft of water it's hydrolocked and bent a rod or two.

#259074 - 04/14/13 01:36 AM Re: If you Drink, Don't Drive into the River [Re: jzmtl]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

#259139 - 04/15/13 06:03 PM Re: If you Drink, Don't Drive into the River [Re: BigToe]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
You are correct. It is an assessing tool used by the USCG and other rescue teams/agencies in evaluating whether to go with a rescue operation or determine if you can change one of the factors to reduce the risk factor.

Severity x Probability x Exposure = Risk

For example I have a possible rescue:

Is this a rescue or recovery?
What is the risk vs. benefit ratio? (i.e. Life safety: willing to risk a lot to save a lot vs. recovery: willing to risk little to save little)

Do I have trained crew in that particular type of rescue?

Do I have enough trained personnel to perform the rescue?

Do I have the right equipment for this rescue?

Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 314 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.