The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#251195 - 09/26/12 02:42 AM Greetings
W4XEN Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs
Hello fellow survivalists,

I'm Caleb and I'm new here (sort of). I used to be active in these forums a number of years ago. I long forgot my last username and login info, so I figured it's time to start anew.

A bit about myself:
I'm a Marine on active duty and have over 8 years in. I will be getting out next year to go to college. I have a number of hobbies and in most of them, there is some survival significance. I personally am not a doomsdayer or a "prepper" as the word is commonly known. I do like to think I plan for an emergency but not to an extreme of hoarding and bunkering in.

A few of my hobbies include amateur radio. I'm a General Class and my display name is my callsign. I've been a ham for a little over a year now and really enjoy it.

Another favorite of mine is hiking. I don't really go to try run up the miles but I've done my share of the AT, and various other trails mostly on the east coast. I was recently informed that I am a "minimalist" hiker as opposed to what I considered myself as which is an ultralite hiker. FYI, a minimalist is a pack weight of 10 lbs or less and an ultralite hiker is 20 lbs or less. Yes, Les Stroud has the best job in the world IMO.

Recently, I've got my dream vehicle which is a new Jeep Wrangler JK, 2-door, soft top. I try to wave at all the other Wranglers on the road as I learned that is what Wrangler owners do. The off-roading bug hasn't bitten me fully yet. But I expect it will once I get a little mud on the tires.

I know firearms and knives are a big topic on these boards, at least they were when I was last on. I am handgun-less at the time, but my plan when I was building my "collection" was to have one gun of every category: pistol, shotgun, rifle. So, armed with that info, I have a Remington 700P long gun, S&W MP-15 general rifle, and a Mossberg 500 Tactical shotgun with the snazzy "cookie cutter" flash hider (Idk why they call it that, the flash isn't even close to being hidden lol). I suppose when I do get a handgun it'll be a Glock again for simplicity reason. I'm a fan of the .40S&W.

What brings me back:
Having hiked a lot and while shedding needless gear and weight along the way, one thing I never got rid of my was EMK Doug Ritter pocket survival kit. I supplemented the kit with a pocket knife, survival blanket, and a water filter straw. That all fit nicely in a small pelican case. That kit has been with me the whole time. I even got a few more for my car and friends. Now, I see there is a plus kit with even more useful stuff. Thankfully, I never had to use my kit other than for fire-starting when I forgot a lighter. The magnifying glass has started many fires. Awesome piece of gear there. But the kit just gives me a good feeling knowing I have some real gear to maybe save my life or somebody else should the need arise. I'm back also, just to rekindle my love for the outdoors and to meet other like-minded people.

I'm looking forward to chatting with other experienced folks and learning new things I didn't know and maybe even pitch in if somebody needs to know something I learned along the way. I look forward to getting my RSK Mk2 but for now, the Cold Steel SRK is the blade of choice. Let me tell you, in Afghanistan, a lot of MREs succumbed to the SRK's bag opening power.

God bless all and 73,
Caleb

#251196 - 09/26/12 03:41 AM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Caleb... welcome, and thank you for your service to this Country...

#251197 - 09/26/12 05:06 AM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hello and welcome...back! grin

#251201 - 09/26/12 01:54 PM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Hello sir and sit by the fire great people here.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#251207 - 09/26/12 06:01 PM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Welcome, Caleb!

#251212 - 09/26/12 08:32 PM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
W4XEN Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs
Thank ya'll very much. *pulls up a stump to the fire*

#251233 - 09/28/12 01:27 AM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
Vogeler Offline

Yes, welcome, and as noted previously, thank you for your service!

#251261 - 09/29/12 02:30 PM Re: Greetings [Re: W4XEN]
usmc0311 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Oklahoma
SF

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 521 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.