The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249469 - 08/05/12 02:28 AM Unsucessful SAR Search
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Today my SO and a couple of friends joined a SAR search about 20 miles west of us for a missing young woman who is developmentally challenged. This search has been ongoing since Thursday night and today, there were about combined 100 SAR team and volunteers out searching. Although I am not on a SAR team, I have done many volunteer searches over the years. This search though has turned out to be very different in terms of search methods used due to the missing person being developmentally challenged which the above link details a bit.

This search is ramping up to be one of largest in recent memory and could not of come at a worse time weather wise for us searchers. Today the temperatures were in the low to mid 90's which is unusual for this area and with many of us carrying heavy packs up and down steep terrain and trails it has taken it's toll on just about everyone. One positive aspect of the weather is the odds of survivability are much higher for the missing person, however as we seen today that once you hike up and through then along the mountain ridges and peaks (from sea level to around 3000' in places), there is little or no water. In fact, in the first search task we were on, we only came across water once and it was in a very slow trickle.

The distance/elevation covered and especially the heat of the day, has tonight left me and my SO brutally knackered. However we will be back out again tomorrow am depending on any new updates from SAR IC tonight. Many of us do not think there is going to be a good outcome on this one but we'll keep looking until a decision is made...

This brings up the question for those who are current or former SAR. I know that every missing person search is different but is there any distinctive info or stats on missing people who are developmentally challenged and their odds of survival as compared to other missing people.

John Lubbock

#249472 - 08/05/12 04:21 AM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The only factoid I can bring to this discussion is that years ago data seemed to show that children tended to hike uphill. My experienced is a bit dated so I am not sure if this is still the case. Any search operation is better informed if the personal characteristics of the victim can be considered, and it seems that this is the case in your operation.

Hang in there. Any long term search can seem quite hopeless (and of course quite a few are) but many turn out very well, even when the "odds" are contrary. Good for both of you for getting out there and making a difference- may you have a glorious Sunday.

#249475 - 08/05/12 05:02 AM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
This brings up the question for those who are current or former SAR. I know that every missing person search is different but is there any distinctive info or stats on missing people who are developmentally challenged and their odds of survival as compared to other missing people.
The best reference I know of is Robert Koester's book "Lost Person Behavior". See http://www.dbs-sar.com/LPB/lpb.htm

Koester has analyzed a tremedous number of cases and developed statistical patterns. He has chapters on children of various age groups, and mentally challenged people. There is no way I can summerize all the information here, but he says "Thus the behaviour patterns are a blend of Child and Dementia. Mentally retarded adults best match the equivalent child age, with the exception of having an older, stronger body. Unlike children, few of these subjects get lost taking a shortcut. Almost all are unresponsive (93%). The subject will not travel to an identifiable target. Many are found in structures (including yards and vehicles) or along a road. They will travel into brush or structures to seek shelter. They are attracted to water features. Much like children, some may be attracted to animals or other favorite objects." Note that "unresponsive" in this context means that she will not respond to searchers calling her name.

Good luck on the search. Don't give up hope for a good outcome, people often survive much longer than we think possible.

#249476 - 08/05/12 05:17 AM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Teslin,

Another quick bit of info from Koester's data. Your article said she was 21, with a mental capacity of half that. Looking at Koester's data for 10-12 year olds he finds that in mountainous temperate terrain, about 25% are found within .8 km of the last known point, 50% within 1.6 km, 75% within 3.2 km miles, and 95% within 9.0 km.

"They may be hiding intentionally to avoid punishment, to gain attention, or sulking."

I hope you have success tomorrow!

#249483 - 08/05/12 02:16 PM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: AKSAR]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Thanks Guys. The missing person's friend was found Thursday night about 2kms from the beach area and uphill so this fits in with what you have both posted.

Pending an update at 8:00 am Pacific, we will be heading out soon after.

John Lubbock

#249501 - 08/05/12 09:17 PM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Way to step up, Teslin_.

Good luck in your search.

#249503 - 08/05/12 11:24 PM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

The missing person has been found and is alive. Details are scarce right now but from what I can find out, it was around 4:00 pm Pacific.

John Lubbock

#249508 - 08/06/12 02:28 AM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

That's great! Good on you for helping out. Fill us in on the details when you can.

#249510 - 08/06/12 05:00 AM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Here's a post-rescue article (pretty sure it's the right one):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/05/bc-zhang-missing-search.html

#249511 - 08/06/12 12:29 PM Re: Unsucessful SAR Search [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Great news!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 644 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.