Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#248155 - 07/08/12 02:23 AM Becker Necker BK11 --- with an extended handle??
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Many years ago I bought a Becker Necker BK11. I really REALLY like the blade - the shape and size - as a smaller lightweight fixed blade knife, BUT I never really liked the handle. It was just too small and short for my taste.

I've always thought that this blade with a larger handle (not as big as the big BK&T knives though) would be a GREAT knife. Could that be the start of a Ritter MSK Rsk2 Mini???

Does anyone make handle scales (slabs?) that extend the size of the BK11 handle? Yeah, I know it wouldn't be a full tang handle, but this would be a small lighter use knife.

BTW, mine is an original BK11 - not the Kabar. Not sure if they are different.

#248163 - 07/08/12 02:37 PM Re: Becker Necker BK11 --- with an extended handle?? [Re: KenK]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
KenK,I have the BK11 and the BK14 ESKABAR.The Eskabar handle is about a quarter inch longer than the BK11 Necker.The blades are both the same.Kabar makes micarta scales for the BK11 but does not extend the handle.In fact they stop short of the bottle opening,wire breaking notch.The handles for the Eskabar are made of a really tough plastic called Grivory and come four to a set.Two orange and two black,plus hardware for each.These both can be found on the KABAR website under accessories.I have both of these knives but prefer the Eskabar handle.I am working on getting kydex sheaths for them as the zytel (glass filled nylon) has been shown to dull the edge....

BOATMAN
John

#248172 - 07/08/12 07:08 PM Re: Becker Necker BK11 --- with an extended handle?? [Re: KenK]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I also love the BK11. Been EDC for many years. Like you, I hate the handle. My solution has been to cover the handle area with JB weld to make it a bit thicker. Looks terrrrrible...

But it works well. The additional thickness makes it easier to use, and it fills the annoying slot at the butt end.

I was going to make an extended handle as you suggest, but I found I really like being able to bash the butt and drive the blade into things. I don't want to give up the full tang.

Next I was considering making a metal handle. Solid scales machined to match the cut-outs of the original. I think that would provide enough strength to mimic a solid tang. I don't hit it all that hard. Usually to punch through light sheet metal like when opening a can etc.

I spent a few hours in a very good knife store looking for a replacement. Could not find a blade I like as much. I have big hands and the BK11 handle is really too small. But the blade makes me keep it EDC.

I will follow the thread with interest.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 160 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.