Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247467 - 06/25/12 07:55 PM Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted
drahthaar Offline

A few weeks from now, I am flying into the US Southwest to pick up a rental car (a mid size SUV) and then drive about 10 hours roundtrip through some fairly remote desert areas for 3 days. Daily highs will be 105-110 and night time lows will be in the 50s. I will be alone. I will be returning to cities at night. I will be on paved roads, but don't know how frequently they're travelled.

I am putting together a kit and welcome suggestions, as I never spend time in the desert areas.

Here's what I have so far:

cell phone, charger, aux. battery
plb
sil-tarp and lines
electrolyte replacement mix
pre-made food for a day
sunscreen
sun glasses
bandanna

4 gallons of water that I'll get en route and supplement if used.

I'll have usual small FAK that I always carry and will have climate appropriate clothing/hat.

I'll probably buy a cheap knife just because I hate not having one.

I will be leaving a detailed itenerary with friends and will check in when possible during the day with latest location.

#247468 - 06/25/12 08:13 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
My experience is in Southern Arizona, and limited at that. To me, the key is that you said you are staying on paved roads. If you go off road, that can change things a lot. Like completely.

So, for 100% on road, I think your in the ball park. Maybe a bit short on water, assuming a more than 1 day stranding (which I doubt on a paved road). You might also want something for shade. If the car breaks down, you will not want to sit in the car or the sun until help arrives. The tarp will probably be usable for this, if you can rig it.

Stay with the car. Don't go off trying to walk out.

Enjoy the trip. The Southwest is one of my favorites!

#247470 - 06/25/12 08:16 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I'd start out with more than 4 gallons of water and would add Gatorade powder, NUUN tablets or some such to my kit.

On muggy days hiking in the Shenandoahs (Virginia), I've consumed a gallon of water and not had to pee, such was the sweating.

I'd add a whistle and a Bic lighter, cotton balls, flammable lip balm and a stainless cup.

And whip by a grocery for some food (cold oranges would hit the spot on a hot day).

So that I could carry ice, I'd also seriously consider buying a decent cooler (Coleman X-treme) and saving the box it came in so I could ship it, with some of my gear, back home via UPS or Fed EX.

For the last twenty years, I've been in the habit of Fed Ex-ing to my destination my luggage (insured) rather than risking the airline baggage handling system. That way I take my hiking boots, poles and other outdoor gear that I consider essential.

Makes the airport process a simpler and faster, too.

Are you planning on venturing any distance from the car?

#247471 - 06/25/12 08:20 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
I have avoided the desert since '92, but the basic list is a good start and I'm +1 on the other suggestions. I was going to suggest mailing things (like a knife) ahead. A cheap hi-vis vest to tie off your antenna maybe?

#247472 - 06/25/12 08:25 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Looks like you are doing a good pre-plan. Suggestions:

- more water (it's cheap & the car can easily handle the weight)
- headlamp + batteries (for fixing that flat at night)
- signal mirror (spectacularly effective in desert air)
- cheap folding chair so if you are hiding from the sun under your tarp, you don't have to sit on the hot ground. Keep in mind that a sil-tarp won't block the sun nearly as well as a cheap blue tarp.
- fleece blanket for spending the (mild) night in the car
- cheap cooler packed with ice

The bulky things are available cheap at any Wal-Mart or Target.

Another thing to ponder: though you don't plan to strike out on foot, consider the possibility. I understand you have a PLB and don't plan to drive off-road. But if you are on a seldom traveled stretch of road, out of cell range, and break down 10 or 15 miles from a town or something, are you really going to pop that PLB and call for a life/death rescue? Or would you consider walking the miles back to a major junction? If so, you have to plan in a whole additional way.

Not saying you should plan to walk, just think about it. It will influence your gear choices, and the form factor of that gear.

#247474 - 06/25/12 08:27 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
might add, or didn't mention..

long sleeved shirt, with brimmed hat, light weight gloves for Sun protection

couple of light sources... headlamp, good hand held

I like to have a couple bottles of GatorAid and water in the passenger seat..

enjoy yourself...

Edited by LesSnyder (06/25/12 08:27 PM)

#247477 - 06/25/12 09:16 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The only thing I saw missing was a good flashlight; if you break down, it will get dark. Others have spotted other missing items. There's an electrolyte thread running now which has some good info; I like V-8 juice. Start out with more water and if you use more than expected you'll be okay. Cheap insurance. I like the idea of water riding shotgun, convenient so you can drink as you go.

No idea what kind of cell coverage you'll have, but the PLB should provide back-up in case of actual emergency.

Check the SUV's coolant, oil, tire pressure et al each day and you should be fine.

#247481 - 06/25/12 09:47 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Lots of good ideas here.
IMO Perhaps a small pack in case you do take a walk, don't forget a stick. Remember in the desert most things bite, stick, or sting.
A second tarp for shelter, set one up over the other with a 12in. airspace between the two. That will give you a much better and cooler shelter.

#247482 - 06/25/12 09:49 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

Another thing to ponder: though you don't plan to strike out on foot, consider the possibility. I understand you have a PLB and don't plan to drive off-road. But if you are on a seldom traveled stretch of road, out of cell range, and break down 10 or 15 miles from a town or something, are you really going to pop that PLB and call for a life/death rescue? Or would you consider walking the miles back to a major junction? If so, you have to plan in a whole additional way.

Not saying you should plan to walk, just think about it. It will influence your gear choices, and the form factor of that gear.

You make a very good point. I don't think that in the southwest that there are very many roads that do not get some traffic, especially since the OP mentioned that he would be back into the cities at night. This means in all probability that while he is heading from / to a city, regardless of time of day that there will be other travelers as well at some point.

Unless a very dire life / death situation occurs, pushing the button on the PLB would be unjust cause for a major SAR response and should not be taken lightly as a realistic option as those valuable SAR resources may be needed elsewhere.

John Lubbock

#247484 - 06/25/12 10:11 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
LED Offline
Veteran

I love the desert. As others mentioned, water is most important. If you can, choose a car with a full size spare. ( I purchased an extra rim and full size spare since I camp in the desert a lot.)

Fill up whenever possible

Wide Brimmed Straw Hat (much cooler than cotton or synthetic)

Umbrella (Light colors. Not mandatory but makes a nice portable sun shade)

Map

Chapstick

Hand Lotion/Vaseline (the low humidity is hard on your skin)

If you've got sinus issues, a saline nasal spray might help. Did I mention its dry?

Have a fun trip!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.