Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#245696 - 05/07/12 04:47 PM Poncho report
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I got another reminder this morning of how bad ponchos are as rain gear.

I took the dog out for our normal morning walk and 2 or 3 blocks from home it started to sprinkle on us. I usually bring my fanny pack on our morning walks as it has two water bottle holders and I find it the most convenient way to carry them.

I keep one of the cheap emergency ponchos in my fanny pack for cases like this, so I dug it out and put it on, and kept going. It was only a light rain but the sleeves of my nylon windbreaker got soaked pretty quick.

As the rain steadily increased my pants below the knees got soaked. Rain just rolled off the bottom of the poncho and right onto my pants.

This has been my experience with ponchos as rain gear every time I have every actually used one in the rain.

Not a big deal as it was 60ish and little in the way of wind.

I just have not come across something better than this type of poncho that is packable in a small space.

Incidentally, my leather cowboy hat was pretty much soaked despite being given the mink oil treatment just yesterday. That has also been my experience with leather as well.

On the bright side, the parts of me that were not soaked stayed pretty dry.

Bob

#245699 - 05/07/12 05:55 PM Re: Poncho report [Re: ILBob]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i use one on canoe trips for a fast cover up while i'm in the boat.
my rain suit takes a bit of hassle to pull on so for those sun showers that come on fast i pull out the poncho from a side pouch on the pack and cover up.
i have used my Army one for dog walks but i have rubber boots that keep my legs dry.the poncho was the first thing we were issued back in 67,even before the rest of our stuff.a one size fits all and does all bit of gear.

#245712 - 05/08/12 12:05 AM Re: Poncho report [Re: ILBob]
Oware Offline

Loc: 49th parallel
Some like rain chaps with ponchos. They can be pretty compact.

#245716 - 05/08/12 01:17 AM Re: Poncho report [Re: Oware]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I generally prefer shorts with a poncho, or even a rain jacket, in the rain. As long as temperatures are reasonably warm, or I keep moving, that works fine. I concentrate on keeping my torso, head, and neck as warm as possible, and reasonably dry.

It always seem that you will get at least somewhat damp if the rain is heavy enough or long enough.

#245719 - 05/08/12 02:46 AM Re: Poncho report [Re: ILBob]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I would consider a just-in-case poncho in an area where the rain is pleasantly warm (and occasional).

In my area, where the rain is cold, it's a recipe for trouble (or at least, a fair degree of nuisance and/or misery).

Here's a thought: when I was a poor student backpacking in the backcountry, I would add the "Colin Fletcher trash bag kilt" when the rain socked in. This really made a difference in keeping my legs dry, but still well ventilated. More importantly, it kept my socks and the inside of my boots dry. I vaguely recall using first-aid tape to create a crude rain gutter, front and back, that drained the worst of the water to the sides instead of onto my legs. This concept could be applied in a whole lot of places.

#245733 - 05/08/12 08:32 PM Re: Poncho report [Re: ILBob]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Well, I take off my pants and tie them around my waist, stuff the socks into the shoes and hang the shoes around my neck under the poncho. Figure that identity would be hard to establish cuz poncho-clad folks all look alike. Generally the dog is under the poncho, too, which complicates ambulation considerably.

#245928 - 05/15/12 10:45 PM Re: Poncho report [Re: nursemike]
Carbean Offline
Stranger

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Well, I take off my pants and tie them around my waist, stuff the socks into the shoes and hang the shoes around my neck under the poncho. Figure that identity would be hard to establish cuz poncho-clad folks all look alike. Generally the dog is under the poncho, too, which complicates ambulation considerably.

That has got to be the best response I have read all month. I think it could be used to describe my opinion/additude about many other things I read about on forums. Thank you nursemike.

#246041 - 05/20/12 04:33 PM Re: Poncho report [Re: ILBob]
ViamFec Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
I agree with hikermor - as long as there isn't deep snow on the ground and I am hiking, no need to wear pants in the rain when shorts will do. The activity keeps me plenty warm as long as my torso is dry underneath a raincoat (of course then sweat becomes a problem).

If there is snow when it rains, generally I am wearing wool pants and capilene or polypro, which retain heat when damp and wet. But in this type of environment it is often better to hunker down and let the weather pass.

FireSteel.com
SurvivalTopics.com

#246047 - 05/20/12 07:30 PM Re: Poncho report [Re: ViamFec]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'll go one more, if you happen to live in the South... add a pair of Teva or other water sport oriented sandals so your feet can air dry later

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.