The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240373 - 02/01/12 10:53 AM Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Okay, this is a bit long so bear with me. Many of you have probably used Esbit tablets before. I like them more as a fire starter than as fuel but they're good for that, too. Hikin' Jim has mentioned that Hexamine lasts essentially forever, even when left unsealed. It burns pretty hot and I've been able to shave it and light it easily with a firesteel. It's a bit, um, "aromatic" in use but nothing you can't deal with.

Only one local store had carried them (Sportsman's Warehouse) and they closed a couple years ago. Everyplace I see Esbit the shipping is killer. Last summer I found some good Hexamine, the same as Esbit fuels, for a good price from Coghlan's. The tablets are smaller but pretty cheap- I've been getting them 24 tabs for $4 with free shipping. Here's a pic of the stuff.

Here's another pic of just the tabs with a coin for size reference.

One item I used to keep in my 1st Aid/survival stuff was the glucose tablets as my dad was diabetic. After he passed away I didn't think I needed the glucose stuff badly enough to carry it around so I tossed it, but by a fluke 5 those Hex tablets fit the tube nicely.

I thought this is a nice, clean storage option for them, but short of spending $2.50 and throwing away the sugar I'd been stumped as to where to source another tube. Then it struck me that maybe a tube meant to organize the same US quarter I included for size reference. And it turns out to fit nicely. They cost me $1 each at Amazon.com with free 2 day shipping (Prime Member). In bulk they can be had even cheaper.

The tubes are made to hold 40 US quarters and have a screw on cap. If they'd been made made to hold 41 quarters I could have fit 5 tablets; as is the cap won't quite screw on. Not a big deal, I fill it with 4 Hex tabs and half a cotton ball. That gives me a super flammable tinder for lighting with a firesteel and stops them from rattling around.

The cool thing is that Hex burns even when wet. It lasts forever, and since it can be lit with a firesteel it serves as tinder and kindling/fuel.

#240378 - 02/01/12 03:13 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Nice!

#240381 - 02/01/12 04:35 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ok...time for some shopping!

Thanks

#240383 - 02/01/12 05:14 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Great tip - thank you!

#240384 - 02/01/12 05:24 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If the fuel tablets fit in plastic tubes that hold quarters, they should also fit in the commonly available paper tubes that hold quarters. Not quite as sturdy as the plastic tubes, but you can surely fit in five tabs, seal the ends with tape, and you will have additional tinder as well. Put a water repellent coating on the tubes and they will make even more effective tinder.

I haven't tried this, but it ought to work. Must get some Gouglan's fuel tabs.....

#240390 - 02/01/12 09:06 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
After my first response of "cool!" I started wondering if the wafers could be sliced to make thinner wafers. It would reduce the burn time for each wafer, but for a single tube you would have more than 5 fire-starts. I'll have to pick some up the next time I see them and give it a try.

#240394 - 02/01/12 10:45 PM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I hope they've improved it -- a lot. Last time I tried the Coghlan's product (over 10 years ago) it was worse than useless.

Nothing at all like the British military hexamine cubes I bought at a surplus store. That stuff lit easily and burned hot.

#240412 - 02/02/12 04:48 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: Phaedrus]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Great idea. Also, look in the craft stores for the coin tubes that have pressure fit caps. They may be cheaper. They may be in the bead area. Here is the link to the pictures of the "tube EDC" kit in the Photo Gallery I made: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=131209#comments They may be a bit longer. They are made of different material, so the impact-resistance may suffer a bit.

My $.02

Edited by MoBOB (02/02/12 04:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Added link

#240417 - 02/02/12 06:01 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: ZenEngineer]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Depends how you light them, with a firesteel it's not easy to light, with lighter/match no problem.

Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
After my first response of "cool!" I started wondering if the wafers could be sliced to make thinner wafers. It would reduce the burn time for each wafer, but for a single tube you would have more than 5 fire-starts. I'll have to pick some up the next time I see them and give it a try.

They crumble easily, so almost impossible to slice.

#240424 - 02/02/12 09:26 AM Re: Emergency firestarter that's tinder & fuel [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I hope they've improved it -- a lot. Last time I tried the Coghlan's product (over 10 years ago) it was worse than useless.

Nothing at all like the British military hexamine cubes I bought at a surplus store. That stuff lit easily and burned hot.

That's something I'm always concerned about: Will the "off brand" stuff be any good? All I can tell you is it's worked well for me. Since this was a different batch than I used last summer, I just tested one of the fresh tablets. I thought I'd share my results.

I used my Kershaw Scallion to shave a bit of the hexamine onto to the top of a large inverted stainless steel doggie dish. It's crumbly stuff and cuts/scrapes easily into fine powder. I wanted to see if I could light this stuff with my (fairly recently aquired) BlastMatch. Now, I'm still a little awkward using it since it's new to me and I'm more used to a regular firesteel (with the Firesteel.com com being the best IMO). It did take me maybe 10 strikes to light the dust but to be fair, about 1/2 the time I forget you have to push down on the striker tab really hard with your thumb to engage the striker. At any rate light it did, and I was easily able to light the tablet with the burning dust. Not bad.

I noticed this batch doesn't smell quite as "fishy" as Esbit, although it's close. It does feel exactly the same but doesn't stink as bad. Of course, it could be just because there's less of it. It quickly gets burning, and I noted that the flames off the small tab were over 3" high for around 5-6 minutes. It was burning strongly enough that you could probably cook on it at minute seven. From that point on the flame dropped off a bit, with flame strong enough to light stuff up til about 9 & 1/2 minutes. It finally flamed out at almost exactly 10 minutes. Unlike Esbit there was a little bit of solid matter left but not very much.

Overall I think that's pretty decent for the size. The tabs measure exactly 7 grams on my kitchen scale. That's good burning time for 7 grams of fuel, IMO. They're easy to light and burn very well. I would encourage anyone interested in these to shoot me a PM- I'd be willing to send a few of you a couple tablets to test out. I don't wanna build my survival gear around sub-standard products, and several of us testing under safe conditions is better than just me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.