Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235252 - 11/08/11 02:05 PM Avalanche beacons in the summer?
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I know nothing about avalanche beacons, their technology, how far their signals propogate, etc. but a thought just came to mind and I don't think it's ever been asked. Could an avalanche beacon be useful in situations other than when someone is buried in an avalanche? Say you step on a loose rock on a mountain trail in the summer and take a tumble down the slope into dense brush and are injured.

If you were diligent and left info with someone about your route, overdue time, and that you were carrying an avalanche beacon, could searchers who were retracing your steps also be looking for your beacon signal? Is that something practical? Chances are, you'd be the only person in the area transmitting, so that's a good thing. Are aircraft equipped to pick up that frequency? (The James Kim family situation came to mind just now.)

I don't think I've ever heard of an avalanche beacon being deliberately used this way, so that's why I ask. Thoughts?

#235254 - 11/08/11 02:12 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Arney,

Avalanche transmitters are VERY low power and have a transmitting range of a few tens of feet. Not nearly enough to find someone unless you are about to step on them (which is basically what you do in avalanche rescue). Better than nothing (if everyone in the rescue team has a unit) but unlikely to help. Few except Ski Patrol, Avalanche rescue teams and winter back country types have one. Most rescue teams would not have them or would not bring them in the summer.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#235256 - 11/08/11 03:14 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: JerryFountain]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Avalanche transmitters are VERY low power and have a transmitting range of a few tens of feet.

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks for that bit of info Jerry.

Actually, I got sidetracked on asking about the official SAR angle in my first post. I didn't originally intend my question to sound like could these be used as a replacement for something like a PLB but I guess that's where my stream of thought took me.

I was originally thinking of using avalanche beacons in a form of "buddy SAR" before calling out the pros. Say you have a bunch of hiking buddies and you already all have avalanche beacons from winter trips together. Then, in the summer, you take a trip together and you take what you think is a quick lone hike away from the cabin or base camp and get lost or injured.

However, sounds like a whistle might be more useful, range-wise, in this circumstance. Or those bubble pack radios you can buy at any big box store.

#235257 - 11/08/11 03:23 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: JerryFountain]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Ditto what Jerry said. Avy beacons would be a very poor choice for the situation described. For some actual test results of the range of some popular beacons see http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/RangeTestResults.asp

This shows most have a maximum range of about 30-80 meters, under ideal circumstances. The digital beacons, which are most populur now becasue they indicate both direction and distance, are mostly less than 50 meters. For about the same price of an avalanche beacon, one could buy a proper PLB. A SPOT could be obtained for less.

#235259 - 11/08/11 03:48 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
SPOT is the most expensive of all options. The annual membership overshadows in entry cost. Get a quality PLB. And they always work!
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#235260 - 11/08/11 04:03 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: ponder]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree -- with the latest ACR PLB retailing at a lower price than previous ACR PLB's, $264.95 there is little reason to rely on anything other than a dedicated unit when your life hangs on performance.

#235278 - 11/08/11 08:26 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
For "buddy SAR" some of the basics (whistles, signal mirrors) are going to work better than an avvy beacon. Of course whistles and mirrors require that you be conscious.

The one advantage of an avvy beacon is that you don't have to be conscious. Relatively few people have avvy beacons, but if you and a buddy already both have them, then there's no overriding reason not to carry them.

I just think the circumstances where they'd be useful in non-snow conditions would be so limited that it wouldn't be worth carrying them. You'd basically have to see your buddy fall but then not be able to see where he landed (dense brush or something). You basically have to have a pretty good idea where your buddy is but for some reason not be able to see him in order for an avvy beacon to be useful. Great in winter when you just saw him get buried in snow and saw about where he is, but I'm having a hard time imagining an equivalent scenario in the summer. Maybe a rockfall/landslide, but the chances of surviving such an event (if it's big enough to completely bury him) are slim, and, unlike snow, any sizeable rockfall is going to be hard to dig someone out from.

HJ

#235280 - 11/08/11 09:16 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Maybe a rockfall/landslide, but the chances of surviving such an event (if it's big enough to completely bury him) are slim, and, unlike snow, any sizeable rockfall is going to be hard to dig someone out from.

Don't get too many illutions about avalanches... the white fluffy stuff has little to do with what you find after an avalanche: Snow that is disturbed settles and becomes rock hard. Digging someone out from an avalanche is really hard work. Not as hard as digging someone out from a rockfall, but still plenty hard.

#235310 - 11/09/11 04:24 AM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Good point. That's actually why I carry a metal snow shovel even though there are lighter weight lexan ones available. Lexan just doesn't hold up if the snow is as hard as a rock. And in an avalanche, you may well have tree trunks, rocks, etc mixed into the debris.

HJ

#235320 - 11/09/11 11:41 AM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Not my area of experience, but couldn't you each carry a Garmin "Chirp" programmed to each others GPS unit? only $23.00.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811&ra=true

This would give you the advantage of having a GPS unit plus a way to locate someone who is nearby but out of sight.

The reliable range of the Chirp is said to be '30-'40, the battery lasts a year, and I'm thinking it is about the same power as an av beacon.

No affiliation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (clearwater), 248 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.