Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232820 - 09/27/11 12:53 PM ETS Server Dying
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

It appears the ETS server is dying. One drive is dead, and another is flaky and if it goes we are down. The server is 5 years old anyway. We are looking at our options. The server not only hosts ETS, it also hosts Knife Rights and all our email as well. Since the beginning this has been provided gratis by Dave Pulver who is no longer really in that business and it is probably time to move on.

I am open to suggestions from those here who know about such stuff, just to add to our options we are considering.

Cost is a key factor. Remember, we've never paid a penny for our hosting or email, there's not much in the miniscule budget we operate on for that.

ETS is on Windows (under UNIX) while Knife Rights is on straight UNIX.

I'll thank everyone who posts suggestions or offers in advance and I'll hand this thread to Dave for consideration along with his own ideas and some from a few other sources.

TIA,
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#232823 - 09/27/11 01:20 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

P.S. Simply suggesting we "go to the cloud" is not helpful. <~>
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#232831 - 09/27/11 02:50 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

A pretty common strategy these days is to keep the forums free-of-charge but also offer a 'premium membership' with some simple perks to generate extra funding. This setup seems to yield more cash than just appealing to plain generosity. Even cheerful contributors like to get a little something special in return.

I would certainly be happy to join up with that. ETS has been an extremely important asset to me over the years. I'm sure we have plenty of folks here who feel the same way.

The impending demise of the ETS server may be a blessing in disguise, providing an opportunity to streamline and refocus the site, a topic that came up in this thread.

#232834 - 09/27/11 03:47 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

What sort of processing power and storage capacity is needed?

#232835 - 09/27/11 03:51 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
flinx Offline
Stranger

Loc: OCONUS
Doug,

Could you provide the technical characteristics of your failing hardware and the software that you are using?

Thanks,

Paul

#232838 - 09/27/11 03:54 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Afternoon Doug,

The security now podcast (Steve Gibson) advertises squarespace.com for web hosting.

Pricing structure is $20/month for one year with unlimited storage and bandwidth.

Yes/no?

#232839 - 09/27/11 03:55 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Does it need to reside in any particular location? (non-computer geek speaking)

#232840 - 09/27/11 03:57 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: flinx]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: flinx
Doug,

Could you provide the technical characteristics of your failing hardware and the software that you are using?

Thanks,

Paul

Not sure. about 3 GB data and such. Waiting for some bandwidth numbers. It's a UNIX box with Windwoes running under it, or something like that, for ETS. KR site is UNIX. Dave is supposed to be putting that info together. We definitely are not going to replace the server with a new one, Dave wants out of the server business, so to speak.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#232841 - 09/27/11 03:59 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A physical location is not really a concern.

Sorry, forgot to mention that if the existing html code is still viable the worst part of the excercise is in the transfer to the new domain.

Many of the webhosting clients already provide the front end. The building of the website is mostly labour.

#232846 - 09/27/11 05:16 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Doug,

I've been using - and highly recommend - Pair Networks - a hosting company based in Pittsburgh, PA. As far as I can tell, I've never had downtime, in about 10 years of use. they must have had some downtime, but I never saw it. They are professional, crisp and efficient.

For $30 a month - and I'd be happy to personally sponsor a month of service - you get quite a bit. During the month of September 2011 only, they are offering a 24% discount when prepaying for 12 months on a new Webmaster hosting account. The discount is normally only 8%.They offer a "no setup fee" transfer.

http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/webmaster.html

Be forewarned - I've never had a server transition that was smooth, no matter how hard you try.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.