Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230589 - 08/25/11 08:01 PM LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I just found out about this and I don't really understand it yet. I'd love to hear some commentary from the forum's communications gurus. It's free and (I think) open source.

Looks like there would be applications for this in a disaster.

LifeNet zero infrastructure WiFi

#230591 - 08/25/11 08:06 PM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I saw that system and it looks interesting, especially in light of me wanting to setup a neighborhood network to pass information out in cases of a disaster. However I'm concerned about the security of such a network.

There's nothing on their website talking about that aspect. Would regular firewalls keep the badguys out, etc? The creators strike me as programers, not security experts, who knows what accidental backdoors they left...or even wide-open front doors. I really like one of the big computer security companies to review it before I go ahead and install the software.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#230596 - 08/25/11 08:14 PM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Seems to be semi-doable, if you have enough people running enought routers with the right software and the distances aren't too great. That's what is going to kill this concept, distance.

I have a hardwired network in my house. Installing a wifi router, given the depth of my house, distance to neighbors, will link me in to - two other people. Unless I get some big high speed low drag wireless modem, then maybe - three. Woo hoo.

Then there is security. Google potato chip can wireless antenna.

Good idea, would work in a densely populated area maybe. Not in the burbs where I live.

#230613 - 08/25/11 10:21 PM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I just found out about this and I don't really understand it yet. I'd love to hear some commentary from the forum's communications gurus. It's free and (I think) open source.

It's free and open source. It also runs only on certain Linux distributions.

Most PCs and phones have inferior radios compared to enterprise-grade access points. Most of us are not Linux hobbyists or professionals. This strikes me as being a step in the right direction but difficult to implement over any significant area.

#230619 - 08/25/11 11:29 PM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

if its made to run on Linux then its probably made secure by default, most linux based stuff is made that way, you have to know what your doing to intentionally make it insecure.
I'll add it to my list to evaluate, if I can test it out easily.
Wifi has ad hoc network capability built in so my guess would be that this is just adding a routing protocol, sort of an IGRP or BGP.

#230631 - 08/26/11 02:33 AM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: JBMat]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Seems to be semi-doable, if you have enough people running enought routers with the right software and the distances aren't too great. That's what is going to kill this concept, distance.

I have a hardwired network in my house. Installing a wifi router, given the depth of my house, distance to neighbors, will link me in to - two other people. Unless I get some big high speed low drag wireless modem, then maybe - three. Woo hoo.

Good idea, would work in a densely populated area maybe. Not in the burbs where I live.

Currently in the upstairs of my house my computer can see ten different wireless networks. House are pretty closely stacked here, Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. I bet a neighborhood network could be set up pretty easily.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#230647 - 08/26/11 04:58 AM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
The security aspect should be easily solvable. A friend lived in France for a few years and she said the ISP in her city is doing something similar. You get modem/router from the company, which provide you with regular wireless router functionality, but at the same time also act as an access point for anyone who's the company's customer, so you'd have WIFI access almost anywhere in the city.

#230680 - 08/26/11 04:03 PM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I just ran across this site: http://fluidnexus.net/

I don't know anything about it yet but it looks interesting...

Paul -

#230744 - 08/27/11 12:44 AM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

It's an interesting concept. Ad Hoc mesh networks have been around for a while, especially with regards to plans to help 3rd world nations access the internet. They're pushing their own protocols to be implemented which is fine, but won't work unless it takes off big enough to be everywhere.

What would be interesting would be the possibility of using HAM type repeaters to become nodes in an ad hoc network and transmit data over tens of miles or greater.

#230747 - 08/27/11 01:59 AM Re: LifeNet: zero infrastructure WiFi connectivity [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: JBMat

Currently in the upstairs of my house my computer can see ten different wireless networks. House are pretty closely stacked here, Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. I bet a neighborhood network could be set up pretty easily.

-Blast

When we moved I didn't realize our router had reset from sitting in the box a couple days. I just reset our laptops to linksys and connected and went back to unpacking figuring I would set it backup later and secure it again. A few weeks later when I finally got around to it (yea yea, I was lazy) there were a couple other computers connected to it. Rather than lock it down I turned on logging and it was getting close to the election so there were lots of hits to the presidential candidates sites. So I used dns redirects and pointed McCains site to PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.'s and and PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.'s to Palin's and Palin's to Kerry's and Kerry's to the NRA and left it like that and open for a while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 544 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.