The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230411 - 08/24/11 08:00 AM Best GPS?
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
This can potentially set off a firestorm, I know.

Rather than interrupt a different thread, though I'd start my own. Now, I've been using the GPS for cars for a few years, intermittently. Never camping/hiking/outdoorsy. I have a decent sense of direction, know how to use a map and compass, and heck, most of my hikes in the last 10 years don't even need a map. My wife uses the Garmin Forerunner, but only as a distance-measuring device.

That being said, I'd like to change it! So, for < $200, what do you think is the best GPS for me?
-- Would like decent battery life (approx 10 hrs)
-- waypoints would be nice
-- small/light
-- relatively quick to lock on and use.
-- rugged (if I like it, I may take it if needed in a military setting)

I do NOT need a compass feature or an entire map. Don't really care about weather, barometer, altitude, etc. Would like something that can display lat/long, in addition to whatever other GPS-centric navigational coordinates. I was just playing on amazon for a few minutes, and seems the Garmin Foretrex 301 had the basics. Things like the Garmin eTrex seemed too "techie" for what I want.

Ideas?

#230415 - 08/24/11 09:57 AM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I've owned the eTrex and did not find it complicated at all. I did not coin this phrase, and I do not know who to attribute it to, but I certainly subscribe to it: Get as much Garmin as you can afford.

#230418 - 08/24/11 11:28 AM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
After quite a few years of using "outdoor" GPS's of various capabilities, I've boiled down my own needs to (beyond the basics most have):

-Mapping - the reality is that although the primary function of the GPS is to produce the current location's coordinates ... eventually I had the desire to actually view the current location relative to features around me.

-Electronic Compass - though this is certainly not needed, I find it helps that my current GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx) can point to the destination waypoint while I'm standing still.

-External Memory Card - IF you get a GPS with mapping, do make sure your unit has an external memory card capability.

-Fast-Lock GPS Chipset - Most of the newer GPS units have a GPS chipset that allows the unit to lock in amazingly fast - even under fairly substantial vegitation cover. These days the old style GPS chips are almost unacceptable, especially since I don't leave my unit on as I hike. I hike, stop, turn the unit on to get a waypoint, and then turn it off to save the batteries.

-Battery Type - My own preference is for all my electronics (GPS, headlamp, weather radio) to use the same battery type - so I don't have to carry a bunch of different kinds. Lately that seems to be AAA batteries, but unfortunately my current unit takes AA batteries. On the other hand, AA batteries (I assume) tend to last longer than AAA batteries.

As for ease of use, I find all of the Garmin units I've had to be easy to use. Even my young daughter - without any instruction - had been able to figure out how to set up the GPSMAP 60CSx to navigate.

If all you want is to get GPS coordinates and capture and use waypoints, then the Garmin eTrex H should suit you well. Garmin is about to come out with a new eTrex, but I'd imagine they would be more expensive than the current version. Actually my Garmin Geko is a great tiny unit, but alas it doesn't have the more modern chip set (and it out of production - but sometimes findable on-line).

#230428 - 08/24/11 01:14 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
One more thought ... about the different brands out there.

I've only owned Garmin GPSs, except for a Delorme unit that works with a PC.

I tend to be a big fan of healthy competition between brands, since it tends to create better products, so I wish there was more competition between makers of GPSs, but from what I've read on-line Garmin's competitors are struggling to compete with them - except maybe to some extent the Delorme units.

Still, as they say, your mileage may vary.

#230429 - 08/24/11 01:33 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I am also a Garmin only person. I have a Nuvi on the dashboard and a Geko 301, GPSMAP 60CSx for the trail.

I'm seriously looking at the Foretrex 401 but I need to find out more details. It's small, lightweight and with the high sensitivity receiver should be a great addition. I'll use this on my bike rather than having the Geko attached to my handlebars. It should do all you need.

#230431 - 08/24/11 02:06 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: KenK]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: KenK
AA batteries (I assume) tend to last longer than AAA batteries.

The AA battery has about 2.7 times the energy of the AAA battery. Which is a lot more than you would think when eyballing their size.

#230432 - 08/24/11 02:12 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
FWIW. I've found the 60CSx can lock faster and maintain lock much better than my eTrex Vista.

The only real downside is that it can't take lithium batteries.

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/24/11 02:13 PM)

#230435 - 08/24/11 02:36 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
You want a stripped down GPS w/ the current technology but not the extra fluff. I get that. My personal opinion is stay away from Delorme PN40. I have one, I love it but its a high end model and has a steep learning curve.

Conversely I have a decade old Garmin eTrex Vista and it is as basic as it gets. Monochrome, not a lot of whistles.

I would say this. The iPhone has spoiled me. Using its provided Google Map, and adding things like Around Me and Geocache app, it shows how much dedicated backcountry GPS units need to compromise for the chipset and battery power. I am not recommending an iPhone as a back country GPS.

I think Garmin can fit your bill. Like mentioned above the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx gets strong reviews from hikers and government users. Don't dismiss having full color maps preloaded or being able to do that. looking at silly monochrome screens and funky triangles gets tired.

#230436 - 08/24/11 02:40 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Garmin Foretrex 301 or 401. You can't beat this design's profile of signal acquisition, size/weight, and proven track record of dependability. If you absolutely must have AA batts instead of AAA, go with one of the lower end eTrex models, as long as it has the high sensitivity chip.

Disclaimer: this advice assumes you depend on a paper map and traditional compass as the base for your nav work, using the GPS as an (extremely useful) adjunct. If you intend to rely chiefly on the GPS it will cost you a lot of additional money, weight, and bulk... plus lots of batteries.

Originally Posted By: MDinana
seems the Garmin Foretrex 301 had the basics.

For the $36 price difference, the compass function is nice for getting a quick azimuth when navigating from waypoint to waypoint if you're using a route in a tricky area. Don't worry about the fact that the compass eats more battery power. Best practice is to turn the GPS on periodically, not run it continually (but there are exceptions where I have not done this). Plus you can also just turn the compass off if you like.

Originally Posted By: JohnN
I've found the 60CSx can lock faster and maintain lock much better than my eTrex Vista.

Vista, or Vista HCx? Enormous difference; the HCx has the high sensitivity receiver. The 60 series had a high sensitivity chip (although an earlier design) long before the eTrex series was available with one.

#230437 - 08/24/11 02:55 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Vista. Not Vista HCx.

-john

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.