The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#219832 - 03/20/11 03:55 PM Purifying Water with Calcium Hypochlorite
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I wrote these instructions for storage with a bag of calcium hypochlorite "pool shock", along with measuring devices. This is based on what I've read on the web, primarily from Survival Topics. The idea would be that my older children or my wife would be able to purify water successfully without my help.

If you see any way for these instructions to be improved, I'd be grateful for your feedback.

================

Water Disinfection Instructions

1) Filter the water. If the water is cloudy or has any suspended particles in it, filter it to remove as much cloudiness/particles as possible. Use a shirt, handkerchief, filter mask, or other field-expedient means if you don’t have a purpose-made water filter. Alternatively, allow the water to stand undisturbed so that the particulate matter settles – this could be as long as 24 hours. Then draw the clear water from the top. If this isn’t possible, move on to the next step.

2) Make a stock of chlorine solution. Dissolve one heaping teaspoon (about ¾ ounce) of calcium hypochlorite granuals into two gallons (eight liters) of water. DO NOT DRINK THE CHLORINE SOLUTION.

3) Add chlorine solution to water. Add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts clear water to be treated. For example, add 6.4 ounces of chlorine solution for five gallons (640 ounces) of water. Double the amount of chlorine solution for cloudy or colored water.

4) Agitate. Loosen the cap of the container and shake vigorously, allowing chlorine solution to mix thoroughly with the water to be treated, and allowing the water to splash onto the threads of the container and the cap so that no untreated water comes into contact with people, clean containers or treated water.

5) Let it sit. Let the treated water sit for at least thirty minutes with the cap on before drinking.

6) Check for chlorine odor. The water should have a slight chlorine odor; if not, repeat the dosage and allow the water to stand for an additional fifteen minutes.

7) Aerate (optional). If the treated water has too strong a chlorine taste, aerate by allowing the water to stand exposed to air for a few hours, or by pouring it from one clean container to another several times.

8) Drink.

#219841 - 03/20/11 05:38 PM Re: Purifying Water with Calcium Hypochlorite [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The only addition I would make would be to point out that a smaller quantity of purified water can be prepared more quickly ( varying somewhat with circumstances) by boiling. A good backpacking stove can boil one liter in about four minutes.

Would the prevailing temperature affect the treatment time of the chlorinated water?

#219843 - 03/20/11 05:51 PM Re: Purifying Water with Calcium Hypochlorite [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The only addition I would make would be to point out that a smaller quantity of purified water can be prepared more quickly ( varying somewhat with circumstances) by boiling. A good backpacking stove can boil one liter in about four minutes.

That's an excellent point. I will update the documentation accordingly.

Quote:
Would the prevailing temperature affect the treatment time of the chlorinated water?

According to http://www.water-research.net/watertreatment/chlorination.htm, "Contact time must increase under conditions of low water temperature or high pH (alkalinity)." Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to find a cookbook that says how much more time at what temperatures.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 517 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.