Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#213035 - 12/14/10 09:20 PM I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness...
GoatMan Offline

I hope I'm not black listed for the following comment, cry but here goes...

I don't know how many times I've read on this forum "If I get into trouble, I'll just use my PLB". Problem solved right? Wrong!

I know the majority in our community are very well versed and prepared. But I sure hope the few others reading our posts don't look at a PLB as there free ticket home. There is a very good chance if you're stuck somewhere, that your rescue can't get to you right away either. This is where the 72-96 hour part comes into play. If you broke a leg on a solo hike, rescue is likely under a day away. Then you can be ridiculed on the news and sites like this for hiking alone. If you are stuck in a nasty snow storm, it could be days before anyone gets to you; regardless of your mighty PLB.

So, while one of the greatest advances in personal rescue, a PLB is less useful than a deactivated cell phone (with reception) that can only call 911 (yea, a PLB will have reception 100 times over any cell phone) but the point is, your only saying HELP. I hope anyone reading these forums will remember that. Whether your mentality is 1911 then 911, or whatever, be prepared to take care of yourself.

Click to reveal..
Long, long time ago -> HELP!
Long time ago -> The sound of a whistle...
Years ago -> SOS or radio communication
Yesterday -> Cell phone calls 911
Today -> PLB

#213039 - 12/14/10 09:49 PM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: GoatMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You make an excellent point. Rescue can be hours, even days away, even in the best of circumstances. Helicopters can be grounded due to pilot fatigue, weather, maintenance, other missions, you name it.

Another point. Some wilderness accidents result in immediate consequences for the victim. If you fall 50 feet onto solid ground, activating the PLB will only result in speedy recovery of your remains. Drowning also occurs quickly and typically rescues depend upon those immediately at hand. Falls and drowning are the two main causes of back country fatalities. Only prudence and self awareness can truly keep you safe.

SAR will do everything possible. I have responded at every hour of the day or night, sometimes walking into building winter storms, or headlong into the searing heat of a desert summer day. But SAR can only do so much.

#213041 - 12/14/10 10:06 PM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: GoatMan]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I’m actually pretty darn careful, however, any of us could experience an injury or health problem. And there have been crimes against women while in the back country so that would be another aspect for me to purchase one.

#213042 - 12/14/10 10:12 PM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: GoatMan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
You make an excellent point - but I can't really say that I remember ever having read anything like this stuff:

Originally Posted By: GoatMan

"If I get into trouble, I'll just use my PLB". Problem solved

on this forum.

But never mind my pedantic quarreling, we are all well advised to be reminded that PLBs aren't magical talismans. But they do take the "Search" out of "search and rescue". The "resque" part can still be tricky, though... anything from bad weather, limited resources and bureaucratic foul-ups.

And a PLB does not in any way interfere with the other tricks we all know: Leave a game plan, prepare for the unexpected, ya all know the drill. Good preparations, routines and gear greatly expands your options and gives you several layers of protection.

EDIT: I don't carry a PLB, either. I'll get one when I find the time for less family friendly expeditions. Or when the technology has matured a bit more and the price has come down a bit further...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (12/14/10 10:20 PM)

#213043 - 12/14/10 10:17 PM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: hikermor]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Exactly. While a PLB will help to get you rescued, it doesn't work instantly, nor can one expect it to be 100% dependable (remember, stuff breaks).

Therefore, it's still necessary to have, at the very least, some knowledge of survival techniques for the environment in which you are traveling.

Along the same lines, it's necessary to have at least a basic knowledge of First Aid techniques to keep either yourself or someone else stable enough that they can be rescued.

Sometimes gear fails, at which point you either have to replace it or adapt as best you can.

#213057 - 12/14/10 11:57 PM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: GoatMan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I look at a PLB the same way as I look at something like a seat belt. When I drive my car with my seat belt on, I don't think to myself, "hey, I'm wearing a seat belt, let's drive a little wild today." Seat belt or no seat belt, crashes have consequences, and I drive to avoid crashes. PLB or no PLB, when the SHTF in the back country, it's going to have consequences. I plan, prepare, and execute just as if there were no such thing as a PLB; I plan, prepare, and execute to avoid bad situations.

HJ

#213058 - 12/15/10 12:05 AM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice reply HJ,

I often do carry a PLB, but it is just another tool in the toolbox. Mike

#213061 - 12/15/10 12:24 AM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
a PLB ... is just another tool in the toolbox.
Exactly. It's just a crazy, super-bad-ass, souped up, high tech signal mirror/whistle/flare. I don't let it make me sloppy.

HJ

#213068 - 12/15/10 01:17 AM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: GoatMan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That's what cell phones are for silly.

wink

#213079 - 12/15/10 05:08 AM Re: I'll just activate my PLB -- Foolishness... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I look at a PLB the same way as I look at something like a seat belt. When I drive my car with my seat belt on, I don't think to myself, "hey, I'm wearing a seat belt, let's drive a little wild today."

You may not act that way but others certainly do. Populations do tend to act riskier when they have better safety equipment whether it's seat belts or ABS and by extension PLBs.

See for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltzman_effect

I would like to think having a PLB won't change anything but I have also found myself saying to myself, "I would feel more comfortable taking that solo cross-desert drive if I buy the PLB" In other words, it does enable more risky behavior just as the ability to use a cell phone in the wilderness does.

The converse is also obviously true. Imagine how safely you would drive with a 10" spike mounted on the center of your steering wheel.

There are also many corollaries. People with little chance of outside help also devote a huge amount of resources to preparedness (such as an Apollo mission) and if the chance of rescue is high -- such as in a city drive to work, you don't devote nearly as many resources or demand as much safety equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 614 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.