Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#209660 - 10/14/10 11:58 AM PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better...
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have a P.S.P, and plan on getting the + version, but until then, This is what I do. First, I remove everything, and put all the flat things in first in order, except the Instructions! < I put these on top of everything so I do not have to dig for them. Then I switch the order of everything and put the Whistle first, it fits against the plastic better than the Spark-Lite, Next comes the Cord, it wraps around the curved edge of the whistle better, next is the Spark-Lite and then the Tinder-Quik, I added 2 more to the bag... Then I slipped in a Match Striker and a P-38. I replaced the Compass with a Photon squeeze light, and I added 4 Katadyn Micro-Pur tablets in the back for water, I store the entire kit in a 1 Qt. Zip-loc bag and roll it over its self. I also took out 1 large safety pin in exchange ofr 2 Pro-force Storm matches. I hope you find that this works better for you, and Doug, you may consider packing the kit this way for commercial sale. Thanks, sorry for any typo's, im at school and in a rush!

#209674 - 10/14/10 05:47 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: sybert777]
GoatMan Offline

You can do better than that. cool

I dumped the string, replaced the squeeze light with a Pico light, added a mini Bic, candle, Mk5 knife, quart size ziplock, a dozen Potable Aqua tabs, several Advil, magnesium strip with striker, straw, hmmm... seems like I'm missing something...

Other modifications include halfing the pencil and putting it in the middle of the duct tape roll. Drilling a hole in the Spark-Lite handle for a lanyard. Replacing the thread with Spiderwire.

All fits in the same waterproof pouch and comfortably in my pocket while hunting and hiking.

#209676 - 10/14/10 06:56 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: GoatMan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Remember to pack some slack, as well...

I took out a bunch of items to make room for a LED keychain-size light, the DR mk-5 knife and a small bic. See the thread called "PSK sharing centre" for details.

From the top of my head, I removed all the instructions, fish hooks/needle/safety pins, the fresnel lens and the signal mirror (where I live, I expect the weather to be really lousy when I get lost or injured).

Technically, I could probably squeeze in some of the contents I removed, or some other very compact items - but why bother? I don't cram low priority items into my PSK just for fun. Too much stuff makes it harder to get to and use the high priority stuff. I don't want it more stuffed than it already is. (The things I removed are in my larger kit, which I usually bring with me on serious bushwhacking trips anyway.)

This touches the nerve about how you treat your emergency gear: Is the PSK part of your routine gear that you'll open and use when you need it / want to, even if it is more a matter of convenience than anything else? This is my attitude, and if I stuff too much in there I will only loose stuff and it will be a real pain to re-pack everything.

Or is your attitude "OPEN ONLY IN EMERGENCY"? In the latter case, stuffing it to the verge of bursting makes more sense.

#209683 - 10/14/10 10:27 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: sybert777]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The PSP is one of the three best pocket kits on the market right now- and I'm going to say that I don't think any of them are 100%. You add and subtract items, repack and reorganize, to fit your constant but also seasonal requirements.

The purchased kit should only be a way onto the path, maybe a short cut but still only one of the ways, not the destination. With due respect to the Marines: This is my kit. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#209687 - 10/14/10 11:52 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: ironraven]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: ironraven
The PSP is one of the three best pocket kits on the market right now- and I'm going to say that I don't think any of them are 100%. You add and subtract items, repack and reorganize, to fit your constant but also seasonal requirements.

I absolutely agree. Any kit that small is going to be a huge compromise- the best kits simply compromise less. The items in the PSP are of excellent quality for the size and price and are extraordinarily well thought out. I signed up for a subscription to the PSP on Amazon.com, so I'll get a new one every 3 months. I modified my original one a bit; I removed the tinfoil to slim it down and added a Derma-Safe folding saw and a matching DS knife. It rides in the pocket of my Maxpedition bottle holder survival kit. Since I have a 40 stainless water bottle and 1.25 qt stainless pot in the bag there's no need to use foil to boil water. And removing it slims the PSP down enough that it fits in the pocket while still leaving room for a lightweight poncho and a space blanket. I'll probably put another PSP in a pocket in the unlikely even I lose my water bottle, but together my rig gives me a lot of capability while being something I'd always have on me while outdoors. BTW, I also have a Mora Triflex in the Molle webbing and paracord wrapped around the sheath.

#209711 - 10/15/10 01:35 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: ironraven]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

I gotta ask then, In your opinion what are the other two kits?

Edited by Matt26 (10/15/10 07:00 PM)

#209734 - 10/15/10 08:54 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
McCann sells several good mini kits, including a couple you can wear around your neck. They pretty closely miror the Ritter/AMK PSP with a few modifications.

#209742 - 10/15/10 10:57 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

[quote=IzzyJG99Doug's Pocket Survival Pak and John McCann Pocket Survival Tin. [/quote]

Thats two of them- they are cousins. John D McCann coming to nearly parallel conclusions to Doug- it happens. The PSP has a bigger mirror, a needle and more duct tape, I like the PTSK's tool selection, more tinderquiks and use of braided fishing line better. Easily enough fixed.

The third kit in the pocket sized, sub-$35 class is the AMK SOL- needs a better name and there is the issue with the design of the whistle, but it is the only kit in this class that includes shelter or passive visual signals with the heatsheet, and despite it's habit of having things cling to the front of the pouch, that pouch is very tough and you know it is sealed (and waterproof) when you roll it up and buckle (tins and zipper bags.. a little more iffy). I think it is geared to a less-skilled user, so I wish they'd put in directions, but I don't know if you need directions for any of it.

There are a couple others that look interesting, such as the Gearpods Survival unit (not pocket friendly, over priced), that I think deserve honorable mention, but others that just don't (BCBs tins- over rated, under quality)

If I had the extra cash, I'd get one of each and do a parallel review. (That way I can have a new PSP and SOL in the pictures with the PTSK.) Uhmm... I take donations. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#210397 - 10/27/10 12:55 PM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: sybert777]
Bill_Mead Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs,Florida
Any pictures of the repacked PSP?

#210476 - 10/28/10 11:48 AM Re: PSP Arrangements, Everything fits better... [Re: sybert777]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
not yet unfortunately, I will soon hopefully, and maybe post a pic of my PSK, but not Pocket Survival kit, Personal Kit.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 322 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.