The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208769 - 09/30/10 09:32 PM Poncho
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have been doing some hiking in the local forest preserves and state parks.

I got a little nervous a couple of times when it might rain and I could melt. So far, I have not melted. But it made me a bit nervous.

So I decided to get one of my ponchos out of my car kit and put it in my day pack, just in case.

As you might guess, this simple transfer of a piece of gear from my car kit to my day pack did not quite work out as I had planned.

I figured it would be a good idea to try the poncho on, just to make sure it was OK. I take it out and put it on, and hear a faint tearing sound as maybe a 3 foot rip opens up in the PVC. So, it goes into the recycling bin, and out comes the other poncho. Turns out its in a little better shape but a snap is broken, so it went into the recycling bin as well.

I probably have not used them in 15 years, now that I think of it. I guess sitting in a car all those years caused the PVC to deteriorate. I suppose if I had to, I could have used either one with the application of some duct tape.

Just another reminder that now and then it is a good idea to try out your gear and make sure it is still functional.

I am headed out again this weekend. I am going to get a couple cheap ones, just in case. One for the car and one for the day pack. I figure I am unlikely to use them a whole lot, seeing as I didn't use either one of these for 15 years or more. I am dithering on whether to get a more substantial one, like a USGI poncho. They are pretty heavy and relatively expensive and for the limited (or no) use I would get from it, it seems like a waste of money and weight.

Bob

#208783 - 10/01/10 01:53 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
sotto Offline
Addict

I once had a really nice (NorthFace or Sierra Designs or similar) red ripstop nylon poncho. I got it cheap at a garage sale like I do with much of my stuff. Anyway, the back pack it and most of my other valuable gear lived in was apparently desparately attractive to one of the bros here in SoCal that work at the carwashes. Anyway, he got to enjoy it for awhile until probably one of his other bros decided they needed it more than him.

Now, I keep two folded up huge industrial trash bags in my pack in case the bros need replacement ponchos. I always have my baseball cap on as a "rain hat".

#208788 - 10/01/10 02:41 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If I were you,I'd get the G.I.Poncho,It's one piece of Equipment that can/does serve you for a Lifetime,in Most cases!They are Heavy,but How heavy are you, whilst Soaking wet?SPG has the German Mil Ponchos,2 for 20 bucks,last I looked.2 Can make a Decent shelter,Heck! 1 can,actually! I have No Affiliation with SPG,Gary Olen,or The Booya Brigade

#208795 - 10/01/10 04:34 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Plastic ponchos, and rain suits for that matter, are all iffy after aging a few years. Kept cool, away from chemicals, not compressed too much, and with a bit of luck they can stil be good to go after years of storage. On the other hand If seen them weld themselves into a useless wad of plastic, partly dissolve when exposed to some solvents, and turn brittle and useless.

USGI versions, and better quality coated nylon versions, are much more reliable in the long term.

#208797 - 10/01/10 06:18 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sil nylon vs. USGI? Both are great and cost almost the same. But which one are you going to carry on a hike considering the sil nylon poncho is a fraction of the weight and size? Easy answer.

#208841 - 10/01/10 07:22 PM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
What does SPG stand for please, trying to locate that poncho

#208842 - 10/01/10 07:43 PM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden

#208858 - 10/02/10 12:22 AM Re: Poncho [Re: ILBob]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
LOL - i found it on Amazon but its the same one I already purchased a long time ago. Nice of Amazon to let you know when you've purchased a product before.

#208859 - 10/02/10 12:25 AM Re: Poncho [Re: Stoney]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Sportsmans Guide.

Sportsmans Guide Ponchos

#208870 - 10/02/10 03:44 PM Re: Poncho [Re: Yuccahead]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I ended up getting an inexpensive one at Farm and Fleet. Better then nothing. Lightweight too. I took it out of the plastic bag it came in and put it in a heavy duty ziplock bag. It's kind of a reddish orange color. The brand is something called TexSport. It seemed a little heavier duty than the Coleman emergency ponchos that were a dollar or so less. I tried in on. Like most lightweight ponchos, wind is going to be an issue, and so is dealing with water running off the poncho unto my pants. But, it is a partial solution.

I got a coleman brand space blanket too.

Neither are especially heavy duty but it's a whole lot better than nothing, especially as fall approaches and rain becomes a very serious hypothermia issue. I am not going to deliberately hike in the rain, but you never know.

It is not going to be useful over the pack so I need something to cover the pack. Not sure what is good for that.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.