Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133223 - 05/18/08 10:29 PM Antibiotics shelf life??
Vader Offline
Stranger

Hi All

I need some advice, I am repacking/stocking my FAK and I have last years dose of antibiotics which according to the label are expired, but haven't touched them or nothing.

Anyways, my question is, would someone consider them still good to use?
I plan on replacing the ones in my PKS with them, or would that be a no no. Also as I am younger, I don't know how many prescriptions my physician will be willing to give me considering they are for "kits".
If they should be thrown out, is there a safe/proper way?

Any input would be great?

Vader

#133227 - 05/19/08 12:13 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Vader]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Vader,

Antibiotics such as Vibramycin, Vibramycin 50, Vibramycin -D have a reasonable shelf life of around 4 years if stored below 25 C.

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/DisplayDoc.asp?DocumentID=1475#SHELF_LIFE

So I guess it depends on which antibiotic you have in your PSK.

#133228 - 05/19/08 12:22 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Vader]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Vader
Also as I am younger, I don't know how many prescriptions my physician will be willing to give me considering they are for "kits".
If they should be thrown out, is there a safe/proper way?

If your doctor originally wrote the prescription for these for your kit, take them back to him when you next ask for a new prescription (to show him that they have indeed not been used, sold, whatever).

Jim

#133229 - 05/19/08 12:32 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Paragon]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Also, there are so many people medications for chronic conditions (over 50% of Americans take medication for depression, anxiety, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc etc) and some of this passes through the urine. There seems to be so much of the stuff entering the environment from all these millions of pople that it is having an effect on many living things in the ecosystem we depend upon to survive.

#133234 - 05/19/08 12:55 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: RobertRogers]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
what's really fishy about that EPA story is the statement that light degrades antibiotics. If that's true, then why is it still in the water? Hmm.... (OK, maybe groundwater).

I'm guilty of tossing pills in the toilet, but I usually do it in the morning as I leave the house, so they're dissolved by the evening when I use it again. Occasionally I'll toss them in the trash, which probably doesn't help either. Probably the "best" way to dispose is incineration.

#133239 - 05/19/08 01:49 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: MDinana]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
They are no longer effective and they loose whatever makes them work. But then there is a trace amount in ground water. If this is true how watered down is the amount of the pills are in the water? Next to nothing, much less I’m sure then what it would be in your body from taking the pills. And yet we are told they loose their potency?

Something doesn’t make sense here, either they are not potent and taking them is not going to do you any good and thus it would also make sense that they would not be strong enough to be in the water.

Or they are still good long after their pull date.

If antibiotics are anything like pain pills, they are effective for many years past the pull date

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#133241 - 05/19/08 02:07 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: ]
red Offline

Izzy, I'm clarifying a few things in the kindest spirit of knowledge sharing...It's just important that accurate info is presented here on this board. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
That being said antibiotics really only last effectively for 3 months according to the Physicians Desk Reference.

The oral antibiotics in my pharmacy: A) Are not produced in amber vials, but usually white opaque bottles. We dispense them in amber vials because *some* medications are light sensitive, and it's easier if they are all amber for those cases B)Will have expiration dates ranging from 2-3 YEARS. We will send back any that have an expiration date less than 1 year.

The PDR is a compendium of product information published by the pharmaceutical companies. Although somewhat useful, it doesn't always tell the whole story; only what the FDA has ruled that company is allowed to tell. Much better references are Facts and Comparisons or Micromedex. Heck, even Epocrates is decent for some basic knowledge. BTW, PDRs are often given away free...that might tell you something. Epocrates is free too, but it's actually quite good for a brief summary of Rx information.

As for how they should be destroyed or thrown out...is being debated. You might recall recently the E.P.A. did a test of major public water systems and found of all things strong trace levels of antibiotics.

Strong trace...? Unless one believes in homeopathy...then the less there is of a substance, the more powerful it is. Back in the real world... The term "trace" indicates minuscule amounts. The amounts in that latest EPA scare were exactly that, trace. The main thing the EPA was concerned about was the fish being altered by the presence of some of the compounds. Fish (and amphibians!) are far more sensitive to things in the water than us mammals. The EPA went out of their way to emphasize that this does not represent a danger to humans. Funny how that didn't make it to the headline...

Current recommendations are still to flush them down the toilet.

Good job on the "finish your antibiotic" discussion! Ditto! The worst way to build up an emergency supply of antibiotics would be to not finish the prescription and keep that as your supply.

Personally...I think a Doctor's office should have a box much like "Sharps" box that holds used syringes. This box could be filled by unused antibiotics that patients or the doctor do not fully use and thus are properly disposed of. Possibly burned like most medical waste is.

Your instincts are well-founded. This service is available in select locations as a kiosk. People dump their used meds in and they take it to get incinerated. (Makes you wonder how many drug addicts will be kiosk-diving thinking their junk is in there!) I think it's pretty sparse, however; most clinics will just tell you to flush it if you call for this service.

Also....your Doctor isn't allowed to just give you medication, even for a kit. That's a violation of the DEA Agreement. He may, but it's not a very ethical thing to do. Doctor's are not even allowed to call in medication for themselves or relatives. A recent issue of National Geographic Adventurer is being really haranged by the medical community for telling people to "get a lot of antibiotics from your doctor before ever traveling."

They can't prescribe controlled substances (Lortab, Morphine) for themselves. That's the only thing the DEA regulates. They can prescribe antibiotics for themselves or family members. (Prescribing for himself is usually frowned upon, though not illegal) Absolutely nothing unethical about prescribing antibiotics for travel outside the country. It is quite routine to prescribe antibiotics to deal with the possibility of traveler's diarrhea. One issue a prescriber might debate is whether the person can "self-diagnose" a bacterial infection. There are women who know they have a yeast infection (believe me, they know!) and most docs I work with will just call it in for established patients without seeing them (if it's the 2nd time for the yeast infection) But it's a case by case basis; every prescriber has his/her comfort zone for such things.

I will join the haranguing against that National Geographic Adventurer for encouraging people to "get a lot of antibiotics before ever traveling." The prescriber should only prescribe those antibiotics and/or immunize according to well-established guidelines (See Sanford's guide). It would be foolish for people to try to get "lots of" antibiotics to "self-diagnose" a condition in another country.

My final take on storing antibiotics for BOB use is that it is probably unnecessary for most situations that are not catastrophic and long-lived. However, if you travel to 3rd world countries, it would be a good idea. Get your shots, too!

#133275 - 05/19/08 05:53 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: ]
Vader Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the good info.

I will probably keep the expired antibiotics as a back up, considering they have always been protected from the sun and all.
I appreciate the help thanks guys

#205826 - 08/10/10 09:33 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Vader]
morkel07 Offline
Stranger

Loc: new york
Replacing these antibiotics is better than to use those. Antibiotics may or may not have side effects on your health but also we are not sure 100% that it will not affect your health badly.

#205827 - 08/10/10 12:28 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: morkel07]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I was ticked off yesterday with ********* pharmacy yesterday because I had gotten another prescription for the medications that I have to take (for the rest of my life because of some yoyo who wasn't suppose to be driving decided to drive that day and ruin my life) but that's a different story---sorry ranting. Anyway I was trying to get a 90 day stockpile in case of emergencies when they denied me of any more refills until my medications gets lower. The medication is not an antibiotic or barbiturate like Oxycontin etc... I was told with the new system they have, I have to be within a few days of the medication to expire before allowed any more medication. Do I need to get a doctor to write me a little love note that allows me to stockpile a 90 day supply or am I stuck on a controlled system that I need to find other means...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 570 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.