Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200716 - 04/22/10 01:50 AM The recent string of earthquakes in perspective.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The recent series of earthquakes has raised concerns that something bigger is going on. That we might be building to some big event.

In these sorts of situations it is helpful to hear from reliable experts in the field:

http://scienceblogs.com/highlyallochthonous/2010/04/the_seismic_non-pocalypse.php

#200719 - 04/22/10 02:42 AM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Very good article. It really put things into perspective. I wonder what other correlations could be found between the other high-energy-release years?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#200720 - 04/22/10 02:58 AM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspectiv [Re: Art_in_FL]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That's an interesting article. Thanks for the link!

#200741 - 04/22/10 02:06 PM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: Art_in_FL]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I also hear one expert on public radio comment that in most years the major earthquakes occur mostly in the ocean where there's no population to feel the effect. This year's earthquakes have been near or in heavily populated areas. Henc ethe greater awareness becasue of media reporting.

#200742 - 04/22/10 03:04 PM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: billvann]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't think the proximity of quakes in or near populated areas is as much of an issue as the effect a distant quake could have on highly populated areas. Conceivably, a huge quake in the middle of the ocean could trigger a massive tsunami. The Canary Island threat is a large ocean away from NYC, but there are those who think it could devastate our eastern seaboard.

The big deal about a severe earthquake is whether or not I'm near it.

If it happens three thousand miles away, it's an energy release. If it happens here, it's a disaster.

Sue

#200753 - 04/22/10 04:44 PM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: Susan]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Susan
The Canary Island threat is a large ocean away from NYC, but there are those who think it could devastate our eastern seaboard.

There are those who believe in zombies too.

The problem with these kind of stories is that the "experts" don't really know much more about when these kind of events might happen or how severe they might be than the average person does.

Bob

#200757 - 04/22/10 05:18 PM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: ILBob]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Could be worth a read. A series of 30-50 foot waves washing over the eastern shores of the Americas would certainly make the news.

http://www.amfearliathmor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/La_Palma.pdf

Death tolls would easily be in the Millions.

#200758 - 04/22/10 05:58 PM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: ILBob]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: ILBob
Originally Posted By: Susan
The Canary Island threat is a large ocean away from NYC, but there are those who think it could devastate our eastern seaboard.

There are those who believe in zombies too.

The problem with these kind of stories is that the "experts" don't really know much more about when these kind of events might happen or how severe they might be than the average person does.

Recent geological discoveries such as Susan cites are hardly equivalent to belief in zombies.

The plate tectonic theory didn't come together until the 1960s. Yellowstone was not understood to be an active, ever-shifting caldera until the 1970s. California's San Andreas fault is still not entirely understood or predictable with any precision -- yet California building codes are revised as ever-greater potential for enormous ground motion due to that fault and others is discovered.

It was not until the 1990s that the Pacific Northwest was found to be vulnerable to subduction plate earthquakes 9.0 or greater. That discovery came when someone pieced together Puget Sound sediment, 300-year old, dated Japanese accounts of a tsunami and Indian legends that had been passed down through generations.

Europe wasn't concerned about Iceland's volcanoes until last week.

The Canary Island sequence of events and other landslide-generated tsunamis are similarly recent discoveries. Most geologic history far, far precedes recorded history. That these events occur in a geologic time-frame that does not make precise predictions possible or the events probable in our relatively puny individual lifespans is no reason to belittle their significant threat. We know for certain that cataclysmic events are going to occur in the future. One may occur next month, next year or 10,000 years from now. Exactly when, we don't know. There may never be an i-Phone app for that.

Seems the more we know, the more we know we don't know much relative to all that there is to know. What's the verdict on coffee this week? Good or bad for us?

As to the original post in this thread -- very interesting article, thanks for the link.

#200785 - 04/23/10 07:16 AM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: Dagny]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Recent geological discoveries such as Susan cites are hardly equivalent to belief in zombies.

Seabed debris has been found several thousand feet up the sides of volcanoes in Hawaii. It got there somehow...

#200788 - 04/23/10 10:21 AM Re: The recent string of earthquakes in perspective. [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Some authorities suggest that global warming increases earthquake activity.
The partial melting of polar ice, and consequent rise in sea levels, alters the distribution of weight on the earths crust, and increases earthquakes, as polar regions rise (having been relieved of some weight) and ocean areas sink (owing to the greater weight of sea water)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.