Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#196964 - 03/02/10 03:28 AM Blast's Binder revisited
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Lately I've been going over our Emergency Binder and realized I need to add a few more sections:

Section 12: Make/Model/Serial #s for electronics, vehicles, firearms, etc

Section 13: Work for resumes, work history, employer contact info, HR dept, benefits

Section 13 is especially important if I find myself fleeing the ruins of Houston to someplace else still intact and hiring. I remember reading how a lot of the Katrina refugees had problems getting work in Houston because they didn't have the resume information, their references were unreachable, and their work history was unverifiable. Which leads me to another post...

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196975 - 03/02/10 04:34 AM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

with everyone's life collected on the web someplace,by someone,maybe you would have a back up to your binder there.
i'm sure glad my only concern is the tiny possibility of getting lost in the woods.

#196980 - 03/02/10 05:13 AM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bill Offline
Stranger

Loc: Fl, Gulf Coast
Glad you posted, Thanks. I went back and read your Emergency Binder thread. I am going to put one together. One thing I am going to include is a section on tradesmen, Plumbers, Electricians, AC folks etc.

#196983 - 03/02/10 11:37 AM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: Blast]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Lately I've been going over our Emergency Binder and realized I need to add a few more sections:

Why not just make this a set of PDF files and put it on a USB key or an SD card? The last thing I need in my kit is 6 lbs of paper and binder.

#196985 - 03/02/10 11:55 AM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: bill]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I call mine a "Home DR Plan" which sound smuch like the <application name> DR plan documents I have at work (IT) so it seems a lot more acceptable and less survivalisty.

I do it more electronic for example:
#1. All those numbers are stored in my cell phone and the paper copy is just a export/backup of those. You can download a popular tool called bitpim which will recognize most cell phones and let you export from the phone. That way all those numbers are in the binder and in the phone.

#3. The FEMA floodplane maps may be useful there as well. My old home was no where near water but a low enough elevaton to need flood insurnace. The rules were revised in the mid 90's and under a certain elevation needed flood insurnace. If you bought/mortgaged your home before then you could be in a floodplane and not even know it.

#5. Since I utilize a mixture of paper and electronic tools I put my Garmin CD/DVD's in a cd sleeve that goes in my binder. I run open source software mostly but the maps are software I have bought and if I need to load more on the GPS want to have them.

#9. You should print the list of frequencies in your area from radio reference, even if you don't have a scanner someone else your working with might. This will be local stuff, police, fire, ems even the local power and gas companies.

#12. Put those listings in a sheet protector then put receipts for them in the sheet protector with the list, if you are with a larghe insurance company they won't replace things unless you have the receipts.

#13. I would add medical records. I have a spreadsheet listing all the times my kids have been to the doctor and dentist and the papers from all their shots. Think similat to a NOLA situation where your doctor office is destroyed or the kids need shot records to start the new school. I do the same as with my inventory and put those in a sheet protector and put the doctor paperwork in with them.

I've though about a worst case scenario where somehting happened to me and my wife and the kids were elsewhere, I have put together a booklet for them, just used a simple report cover with some sheet protectors and cd and business card holders that fit in it. Those hold all their papers, have an inventory list and receipts, medical records, cd with those burned to it and things like their social security cards put in the business card holder.

I have now some land that my parents have deeded over to me since they are getting older, they wanted to take care of it now rather than after they are gone. Those are on legal size paper. I'm finding it difficult to find a nice binder and small quantities of sheet protectors in legal size. I found a box of sheet protectors but its a box of 100 for $30, I only need like 10. I can;t find a simple zipper binder in that size either, seems like it would be almost easier to have them shrunk to normal size then pay to have those norerized.

I don't have any contacts for plumbers and such since I've never used any not sure what to do there.

#196986 - 03/02/10 11:56 AM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio

Why not just make this a set of PDF files and put it on a USB key or an SD card? The last thing I need in my kit is 6 lbs of paper and binder.

Thats how mine is, a group of electronic documents and scanned papers then printed out and put on paper with the electronic copy on a cd inside the binder.

#196988 - 03/02/10 01:12 PM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio

I'm still considering that but I do like the idea of being able to access all the data without a computer. Especially the phone numbers and maps.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196995 - 03/02/10 02:19 PM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I did mine on the computer and then print it out and substitute the original documents for the printed scans when it goes in the binder. That makes updating things like the pone numbers or the inventory easier, just add a line to the spreadsheet, print and stick it in.

#196998 - 03/02/10 02:34 PM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: Blast]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
My first exposure to your emergency binder, Blast. And as was said so often then, "Wow!"

Re: electronic storage: Electronic form is fine as a backup method, but no one should rely on it for their primary copy. Think about how fast storage methods change. Do you have any 3.5" disks laying around anywhere? Does your computer even HAVE a 3.5" drive?

Sure flash drives and CDs/DVDs are all the rage right now, but what about in ten years? Ten years ago, how many of you had even HEARD of a flash drive? Or had a CD burner in your home system? And how are you going to read a thumb drive or a DVD while you're on the road? What if you were about to plug in your laptop for recharging, so it only has about 15 min left on the battery?

Electronic storage is easy to update, but for safety, print it out and put it somewhere you can reach quickly, that EVERY responsible family member knows about.

#197001 - 03/02/10 02:49 PM Re: Blast's Binder revisited [Re: Compugeek]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The reason I say to use electronic for primary is ease of editing. You don't make the dvd/cd/flash your only copy, its just another backup in case you can't get to your computer/laptop.

I actually used flash storage and burned cd's over 10 years ago, my oldest backup/archive cd is from 1998 and was still readable a couple years ago when I reburned all the data to dvd.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 553 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.