Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194653 - 01/30/10 08:36 PM looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
There are a lot of cold-weather days when I would like to have some eye protection (sunglasses) on. But, I can fog (breath condensation) a pair of glasses real quick; and then they're useless {or, at least, extemely aggravating}.
Short of going "all out" with some type of Ski Goggle, do any of you have some suggestions for sunglasses or "small goggles" that are resistant to fogging?

#194658 - 01/30/10 09:45 PM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: Lon]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Sky diving goggles are pretty resistant to fogging. They have side vents for ventilation to help keep them clear.

#194674 - 01/31/10 01:34 AM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: JBMat]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I have had success with some sunglasses from LL Bean that have a rubber vented strip at the top edge of the glasses, so there is airflow: LL Bean Multisport Sunglasses I've used them skiing and snowshoeing when it wasn't cold enough to justify ski goggles. (They also are pretty nice polarized glasses for fishing in the summer.)

Sometimes I had well fitting and far more expensive sunglasses that would fog because they would fit snug to my head, and the moisture would seem to accumulate above the eye, where the top of the glasses hit the forehead.

Your mileage may vary wink

- Ron

#194676 - 01/31/10 01:48 AM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would think that ski goggles would be specialized for the job.

#194699 - 01/31/10 06:08 AM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: Lon]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
IIRC, a product like rain-x will prevent fogging of your existing equipment. Check to be sure it won't damage anything before you use it though.

#194705 - 01/31/10 07:11 AM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: Mark_F]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I wear glasses outside in the cold.
The trick is to not have them fitted too tight to your face.
Your glasses should be far enough from your eyes to stay clear. Antifog coatings help.

My biggest problem is the glasses usually fog or frost up as soon as I enter a heated building.

Edited by scafool (01/31/10 07:12 AM)

#194717 - 01/31/10 05:11 PM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: scafool]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
That happens to me too! I look like a moron walking into school
!! I have a pair these of and reccomend them, but i dont know your price range?

#194721 - 01/31/10 06:54 PM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: sybert777]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Usually I just slide them a little down my nose until them clear.

I wonder though, if the "spit on the lens" trick with swimming goggles works for this too? Never tried it.

#194728 - 01/31/10 07:48 PM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: MDinana]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I'm pretty short sighted and I've been wearing glasses for ages, so this is something I have experience with. Let's just state that there is a reason I use contact lenses for outdoors activities.

If you think glasses are bad, try fitting a pair of skiing googles over a pair of glasses... Then you have 4 glass surfaces that can fog, multi-layered glass in the ski googles not included. Each surface will have its own temperature, at least one of them will fog. Been there, done that.

If you have to cover your face, always make sure the air you breathe out has somewhere else to go than up along your nose to your glasses.

The real hard part is if you're doing heavy physical activity, such as high intensity aerobic training. Then you have to went away moisture and keeping a strict "ventilation discipline". I.e. if you're running, skiing or cycling, your speed provides airflow to keep those glasses clear - then don't just stop at any random spot - stop somewhere in the wind so you can ventilate your glasses. When you stop, loosen any head garment that can obstruct air flow.

Also, it's an either-or situation: Either the glasses / googles must be "cold", i.e. well ventilated so moisture from your eyes is vented away. Or they must be "warm", i.e. so warm that moisture doesn't condense on them. Most of the time, keeping them "warm" enough is close to impossible, but you could do it with a pair of glasses that you seal off under a pair of skiing googles. But when you seal them off you have a buildup of moisture that is not vented away. In other words, it works well for a while before it fogs like crazy. Not good. Keep 'em cold and well ventilated is usually the best bet.

Some anti-fog chemicals are rumored to be effective, but I have little experience with them.

#194736 - 01/31/10 09:41 PM Re: looking for cold weather Eyewear opinions [Re: scafool]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: scafool
I wear glasses outside in the cold.
The trick is to not have them fitted too tight to your face.
Your glasses should be far enough from your eyes to stay clear. Antifog coatings help.

My biggest problem is the glasses usually fog or frost up as soon as I enter a heated building.

Ditto, here. I've resorted to carrying a second pair in a shirt pocket, and swapping them, when I go inside and the one pair frosts up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.