Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179927 - 08/21/09 07:27 AM Caffeine Gum
LED Offline
Veteran

Was looking for some caffeine gum and would up choosing Jolt(20mg caffeine per piece) over Stay Alert (100mg caffeine per piece) based on overwhelming taste reviews for Jolt. Apparently with gum, the caffeine enters your system in 5 minutes as opposed to 20-30 minutes for coffee. Plan on trying it out on those long trail days where its not really possible to stop and brew a cup. Figure I'll keep a pack in the car and throw some in the kits. Anyone tried either one?

#179932 - 08/21/09 11:24 AM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: LED]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Stay Alert... Not a bad product. Takes a while to get used to the taste and I can barely keep chewing it for anything more than 10-15 mins because the taste deteriorates rapidly.

But it does work. Do not exceed the recommended doses and even if you stay within the prescribed limits, you might notice some side effects (hands shaking, excessive sweating etc.). Still, it will keep you awake for a while.

I have no experience with Jolt, though.

#179935 - 08/21/09 12:23 PM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: Tom_L]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
There are several other flavor out there. I keep some from the wal-mart checkout stand impulse buy rack. It comes in small tins like the mini altoids tin. I don't remember the brand though.

RIP OBG

#179948 - 08/21/09 02:09 PM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: Desperado]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
LED, I just want to say the obvious, because it once wasn't so obvious to me and I think it bears saying in case this reaches someone else, who can hear their own situation in my words: caffeine gum is okay, but relying on it when driving is Bad. I bought some basically to stay alert, and had it in my car when I was coming down from Mt Rainier. I have a habit of leaving for the mountain pre-dawm, and driving home I can get really tired. After driving for 45 minutes and descending a couple thousand feet, I could almost be asleep at the wheel, and not know it or admit it to myself. I could catch myself beginning to doze, but still not stop or slow the car. There's not alot of oncoming traffic on Hwy 410, so frankly I think I got away with some bad driving for several seasons. I would pop a piece of caffeine gum, thinking it would make a difference. It didn't. Long story short, I didn't kill myself or anyone else, but I might have, and I have learned that pulling over for a 20-30 minute nap refeshes me way, way better than caffeine gum ever could. Caffeine gum isn't addictive, except in the sense that you can fool yourself into thinking you are more alert than you really are. Maybe its my 47 year old body, but a short nap does way better than the gum.

Edited by Lono (08/21/09 02:11 PM)

#179968 - 08/21/09 05:03 PM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: LED]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
i found hard-shelled (like m & m), chocolate-covered coffee beans called shock-a-lots. mmmmmm gooooood. satisfies two cravings at once.

one bag (approx 12 beans) = one cup of coffee - which can be rationed one at a time or, if you're in a hurry for a quick buzz, down the hatch!

for me, i've just munched one at a time while hiking.

Shock-A-Lots

#179977 - 08/21/09 06:21 PM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: bsmith]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
5 Hour Energy for the win.

#180022 - 08/22/09 12:41 AM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: Lono]
LED Offline
Veteran

I agree Lono, nothing is a substitute for proper rest and if I'm that tired, gum won't help anyway. Similiar to what Nighthiker said, it'd be more of a pick me up rather than keep me awake type thing.

#180119 - 08/22/09 10:48 PM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: LED]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Hi I'm Boatman and I am a coffee addict...I find that products like these are handy when you can't get your morning cup'o joe.Some people can get serious head aches from withdrawals.Caffine can be just as addictive as nicotine or heroine.Something(gum,mints,beans,etc.) like this can almost seem like a life saver.In a survival situation it can at least take the edge off.Then a person could make clear and rational thoughts.In the service they use the instant coffee packets from MRE's.Put the coffee crystal between the cheek and like chewing tobacco.They call it Ranger coffee to go.Another one is to put a tea bag in the cheek and suck on it.just my $.02 worth

BOATMAN
John

#180146 - 08/23/09 08:24 AM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: boatman]
LED Offline
Veteran

Interesting Boatman, thanks. Instant coffee between the cheek huh? Well, I used to dip (skoal bandits, nasty stuff sick) when I was a teenager....so I suppose instant coffee couldn't be any worse. Even though my life wouldn't be the same without it, I don't know if coffee is quite as addictive as nicotine though. No coffee = cranky SOB with a headache. When I gave up nicotine it felt like gremlins were jumping on my brain for two weeks.

#180158 - 08/23/09 02:00 PM Re: Caffeine Gum [Re: boatman]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: boatman
Hi I'm Boatman and I am a coffee addict...I find that products like these are handy when you can't get your morning cup'o joe.Some people can get serious head aches from withdrawals.Caffine can be just as addictive as nicotine or heroine.Something(gum,mints,beans,etc.) like this can almost seem like a life saver.In a survival situation it can at least take the edge off.Then a person could make clear and rational thoughts.In the service they use the instant coffee packets from MRE's.Put the coffee crystal between the cheek and like chewing tobacco.They call it Ranger coffee to go.Another one is to put a tea bag in the cheek and suck on it.just my $.02 worth

BOATMAN
John

Ranger dip works, but you really have to want it. There just isn't much to be said for the taste.

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.