Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189429 - 11/29/09 05:35 PM Best way to carry water in a vehicle?
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Looking for the best way to carry water in a vehicle. Not much, maybe a gallon or two. Im in Nebraska so its going to be freezing and thawing usually.

What type of container? Milk jug, 2 liter???
How long will it be "fresh" ?
Do I have to put bleach or something in it?

Thanks.

#189431 - 11/29/09 05:46 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: harstad]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Milk jugs are the worst. The plastic they're made from deteriorates quite rapidly.

If you're using clean tap water or bottled water, you shouldn't have to put bleach into it.

I don't know about the freezing, though... It's going to freeze, sooner or later, depending on exterior conditions. We had a discussion some months ago about insulation just slowing down the freezing, even with insulation. The cold gets to it, no matter what you do, even if you buried it in a rolled-up sleeping bag.

People with more experience with extreme cold will have to chime in. Nebraska..... brrrrrrrrrr!

Sue

#189432 - 11/29/09 05:54 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: harstad]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm thinking a couple gallons of bottled water packed into a cooler. If the bottles freeze and burst the cooler will contain the water once they melt.

#189435 - 11/29/09 06:16 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: Russ]
timo Offline

Milk jugs won't last. They are not designed to withstand freezing either.
2 liter bottles may last longer but are also not designed for long term storage.

Do yourself a favor and splurge on a Scepter Runt. 2.5 gallons. About $25 and worth every penny because you won't have to worry about it failing on you.

Designed for military use. Millions of them in use all over the world.
These things are thick and tough as nails.
The 5 gallon versions can be seen strapped to tanks and humvees.

Freezing won't be a problem as long as you leave room for expansion,ie:don't fill it all the way up to the brim.

Water is important. Don't skimp on the storage container.

#189438 - 11/29/09 06:50 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: timo]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
[quote=timo
Freezing won't be a problem as long as you leave room for expansion,ie:don't fill it all the way up to the brim.
[/quote]

+1 - water expands about 10% when it turns to ice (more specific, density of ice is 9% of water). Leave more than 10% air volume and you should be OK.

I would also pay a little attention to the shape of the container. I have a vague idea about freezing water sort of shapes its way around obstacles, but I wouldn't put to much confidence into it. I do feel less comfortable if the water is in danger of freezing in a container with lots of weird kinks and turns. Such as hollow handles on some cans.

#189439 - 11/29/09 06:53 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: timo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have polycarbonate jugs/bottles that look just like milk jugs except that they're polycarbonate. I routinely have one inside a cooler along with other stuff that I prefer to keep cool. Don't know how they'd do if frozen. Everything has its limits.

One reason to use clean milk jugs for this is that they're cheap enough to toss after each use. Nothing says these jugs are intended for long term; with cheap jugs they could be replaced every week.

#189443 - 11/29/09 08:59 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Also understand that water does not freeze from the inside out. There is still the possibility of container bulge/rupture regardless of how much room is left.

Funny thing about the milk jugs: I had friend that would buy a bunch of milk and freeze it. He never had a plastic of cardboard container rupture. Bulge? Yes. Rupture? No.

Food for thought.

YMMV

My $.02

#189444 - 11/29/09 09:03 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: ]
Basecamp Offline

Loc: PNW
I carry a case of bottled water in the back of my personal and work vehicles all the time. Any water you carry will probably need to be rotated, poss. 2 to 4 times a year. An ice chest is a handy way to carry the case of water, or many other types of supplies in your car.

addition: for scuba diving in hot weather I would take along one or two 2 litre soda bottles which were washed out and refilled with water, then frozen. That gave you a good supply of iced water on a hot summer day. Even with repeated use, never had any problem with the bottles. If you want to prep these bottles and transfer from the gallon jug of drinking water from the grocery store, that may work.

Edited by Basecamp (11/29/09 09:07 PM)

#189445 - 11/29/09 09:08 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: ]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
I would go 1 liter or smaller soda bottles. I've had lots of these freeze in cars over the years, and as long as they're not full they haven't burst. The advantage of these over larger containers is that they'll thaw faster when you need them. It would take a long time to thaw a 5 gal plastic jug of water.

I use gallon milk jugs in my chest freezer to take up space and provide heat capacity. This freezer isn't frost free, so they just have 1 freeze cycle, and they still burst about 10% of the time. (Not a big deal in the freezer, as they don't ever thaw.) Milk jugs aren't strong at all and split easily.

#189449 - 11/29/09 09:18 PM Re: Best way to carry water in a vehicle? [Re: UpstateTom]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I religiously save my old Gatorade bottles, one quart or larger. They are pretty stout, but I haven't subjected them to the freeze-thaw cycles you will have in Nebraska.

Places like REI have purpose built water jugs which are much stronger. They are worth the expense. I have some of those, as well.

Probably don't need to use bleach if your water source is good, but boiling never hurts if there is any concern. I once had occasion to use water I had cached outdoors for a year (over a winter) at Canyon de Chelly (AZ) which did freeze and thaw several times. No problems at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.