Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#189175 - 11/25/09 08:42 AM The moutain code
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
A recent comment about lost hikers failing to just turn back and retrace their steps made me thinking: That's in our mountain code! Some things are just to blatant obvious to see - and I failed to see how the Norwegian moutain code is highly relevant to this forum.

The easter of 1967, 18 people died in the Norwegian mountains after nice weather turned very rough very quickly. Most or all of these fatalities could easily have been avoided with better equipment and skills. A commity of voluntarily organizations came up with the idea of the mountain code, which are 9 bullet points of common sense and safe practice in arctic conditions. The Norwegian name for this (fjellvettreglene) litteraly means "the rules of mountain common sense".

These rules are repeated at Norwegian public radio (since 1969) and Norwegian television (since 1972) each winter, in particular around easter. This translation and the comments is cortesy of http://everything2.com/title/The+Mountain+Code

# 1. Do not plan a long trip without training

Do not underestimate what it takes to go far into the mountains. You should be used to skiing with a rucksack in deep snow before doing it far away from people. Make training trips in bad weather to see how it is, before trying the real thing.

# 2. Tell people where you're going

If you get lost, it is important that people know WHERE and WHEN you got lost. Tell people when you expect to be back, and what route you are planning to take. This will give search crews important clues to find you. Many Norwegian tourist cabins in the mountains have special boxes where you can leave a written note about where you are heading. Use them.

# 3. Show respect for the weather forcast

Do not go into the mountains if you have reason to suspect a storm is brewing. Don't underestimate the effect of fog, wind and heavy snow on your ability to find your way. Still, don't trust a good weather forcast. Always prepare for bad weather. Remember that local variations won't be covered in the forcast.

# 4. Be prepared against bad weather and cold, even on short trips

Always bring equipment for cold weather, an extra jumper, a good weather-proof jacket (an anorak is worth gold). Wear wind-proof mittens and a warm hat. Put this equipment on early enough! It is of no use in your rucksack. Bring a small shovel. (See 3 and 9).

# 5. Listen to experienced mountaineers

People who are more experienced than you are well worth taking advice from. Local people will know about special conditions, like danger of avalanches and local wind and snow conditions. They may help you find a safe route to take.

# 6. Use a map and a compass

Always bring map and compass, and learn how to use them. Study the map before leaving, so you know where you are going and how to get there. Pay attention to where you will end up if you miss your target, and in what direction you can find help (in case of emergencies, aim for "long" features like a road, things that will be easy to find). Know where you are at all times when the weather is clear. If a sudden fog turns up, it can be hard to determine where you are. Keep the map in a map case around your neck to protect it from moisture and wind. In a fog, the last thing you want to do is lose your map to the wind.

# 7. Do not go alone

Your main help in an emergency is your travelling companions. If something happens, you want to have people around you, people who can go for help, people to perform first aid, etc. Choose your companions with care - a large group where no one knows anything about mountains or first aid will not be useful.

# 8. Turn around in time, there is no shame in returning
Don't lose your life on pride. If the weather takes a turn for the worse, turn around. It's not worth it. Remember that other people may risk their lives trying to rescue you if you get lost. If you choose to change your plans, remember to tell anyone that might be expecting you at your original destination. If you don't have a partcular destination, it is a good idea to start the trip going against the wind. That way, it's easier to go home than out.

# 9. Save your strength, dig yourself into the snow if necessary

Save your strength, don't go too fast. You should not get sweaty (we're now talking about long treks in the mountain, not running on skis as a sport...). The people in front should often turn around to check on the rest of the company - it is difficult to even shouting through wind and layers of clothing. Remember to eat and drink. If you can't find your way, you may be forced to lie down to preserve your strength. Getting out of the wind is important if you want to survive the cold. This is when the shovel comes in handy. Don't hesitate to dig a hole in the snow or a small snow cave while you still have strength left. This is something that should be practiced before going into the mountains.

Nothing revolutionary here... just plain, good old preparedness advice, of the excellent (but tragic!) 1967 vintage. These advices are more important than ever because of the increased number of cabins and other infrastructure that gives much faster and easier access to desolate terrain - I live in what's a major city by Norwegian standards, and I get to high arctic conditions less than 2 hours by car. A significant fraction of the people venturing into the mountains have no experience whatsoever except doing high intensity Nordic skiing. Clothing made for high intensity activity is grossly inadequate when weather turns bad in mountain terrain.

Many of you will notice the absence of PLB and GPS. PLBs are a great idea, but will not save you in a storm. If you think otherwise you fail to realize the severity of such conditions: Chopters can fly in a storm - but can't do ANYTHING: Can't find you, can't help you. Moving on the ground is extremely challenging, very slow and high risk. If you push that magic button in a storm you still have to take care of yourself untill the weather improves. Thus rule #9, which has saved many lives.

GPS has saved many lives (and avoided trouble for many, many more), but you still need that map+compass training. It's not optional or obsolete, but a basic life saving skill.

The only rule I'm willing to break is #7 (don't go alone), but not without serious consideration and preparations. If you choose to deliberately break a safety rule you'd better make sure you know what you're doing.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (11/25/09 09:08 AM)

#189176 - 11/25/09 12:25 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I have to argue #3. I would say always prepair for the forcast to not be as severe as the weather may have a chance to be. Many times have people put too much faith in the forcast and only dressed for beautiful weather only to be totaly caught off guard.

Going into #4 I once herd of a group of sea kayakers that went out for a "short trip" amongst some islands in South East Alaska. Yes, the word Alaska should clue you in that being unprepaird to so much as step out of your door can cause issues. The trip was to be very short, they ended up getting tipped over and thus stranded on an island for about 3 days with no survival equipment.

Thank you for posting these rules.

#189177 - 11/25/09 01:00 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: Tyber]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Tyber has a good point. Forecast is helpful but once out there you have to be ready to make your own forecast and alter plans accordingly. I've bailed on trips more than once due to seeing weather that wasn't forecast coming in. Been glad I'd bailed every time.

But it's a great list. If only people would actually listen....

#189178 - 11/25/09 01:02 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: Tyber]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Good post, thanks.

A worthwhile PSA.

#189180 - 11/25/09 02:01 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
#3 states"don't trust a good forecast" - in other words, be prepared for something more severe.

This is really an excellent statement and an great post. Thank you,

I have to admit I sometimes slide around #7. Note the admonition '"Choose your companions with care - a large group where no one knows anything about mountains or first aid will not be useful." - really good counsel

#189181 - 11/25/09 02:05 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: Dagny]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Good advice, MostlyHarmless.

Like politics, I'm increasingly convinced that all survival is local - there are some commonalities, but people headed up a fjord into snowy, mountainous terrain are in a different scenario than someone venturing in the lowland Pacific Northwest, or even 1 hour east of the Cascades in a more arid environment. Some places you need to keep warm, some places you need to keep your brain from getting too hot. And in some places, you need to do both. The fact that you're up near the Pole and in mountainous terrain may make these rules an everyday thing in Norway, but I think I would only have to adapt the advice in #9 to fit local conditions.

#189189 - 11/25/09 03:41 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: Lono]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
I like this, good advice is always welcome to me.....
Well I will be printing this out and laminating it to give to....... "certain" people I know.

Adventureboy

#189201 - 11/25/09 05:38 PM Re: The moutain code [Re: Adventureboy]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I noticed a small slip in the tranlation of #3: It is: Show respect for the weather and the weather forecast. That's shifting the meaning just a tiny bit toward Tybers comment about preparing for worse weather than forecasted. That point is also explicit discussed in the commentary text.

#189236 - 11/26/09 03:23 AM Re: The moutain code [Re: MostlyHarmless]
UpstateTom Offline

Loc: Rens. County, NY
That looks like a good list to me, thanks for posting it. This part of NY and farther north gets cold and snowy in the winter - not as much as Norway, but the list still fits.

One thing I notice about it is it's not about equipment, except for a couple of things, it's about common sense and planning.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.