Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#183197 - 09/25/09 09:56 PM Wasp stings and fireants
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I recently had a discussion with my veterinarian concerning hymenoptera stings and the efficacy of using straight bleach on the sting site. He claims that this provides immediate sting relief as the base neutralizes the formic acid in the venom.
I am interested if anyone has had experience using this treatment for fireant stings in the South...
I will let you know how effective this treatment is on wasp stings, in my line of work at least one person from my crew gets stung daily.
If anyone gets a fire ant sting, i would appreciate any feedback to this treatment. It is supposed to be complete and immediate relief.

#183200 - 09/25/09 10:08 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Tarzan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Tarzan
...in my line of work at least one person from my crew gets stung daily...

Interesting home remedy. If your people are getting stung almost daily, aren't you running a high risk that someone is going to become sensitive to the wasp venom and have a bad reaction one of these days?

#183201 - 09/25/09 10:31 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Arney]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
There is a lot more in the venom than just formic acid. It is not the acidity of the venom that causes the pain. Even if it was then adding chlorine bleach which is an acid should make it worse.

Household bleach and ammonia are both pretty harsh chemicals. Be sure to dilute them and remember to never mix the two.
Household bleach is strong enough to burn human skin. Don't put it on stings

Ammonia seems to be more effective than bleach and is the base for a lot of sting lotions.
The classic would be the "After Bite" dauber.
I am not sure but I think they use a solution of about 3% ammonia.

I will repeat this statement, Chlorine bleach will burn your skin if you are not careful to dilute it a lot. It is dangerous material.

#183203 - 09/25/09 11:22 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: scafool]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool
Even if it was then adding chlorine bleach which is an acid should make it worse.

In the practical sense, bleach is actually highly alkaline, like around pH 11. While it's true that the active compound in bleach is hypochlorous acid, the bleach that we find in a bottle has sodium hydroxide added to it to make it highly alkaline. I posted on this topic a long time ago, but this is done to preserve the active ingredient in this highly alkaline state. Otherwise this highly reactive compound would break down and quickly become ineffective in storage.

Still, I agree that bleach isn't something to mess around with lightly.

#183212 - 09/26/09 12:54 AM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Arney]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
To make the bleach and ammonia work, you would have to get it next to the hymenoptera venom, which would in turn require injecting it down the wound tract...please do not do this-these chemicals will damage the healthy cells near the wound and invite an infection. Current medical science does not endorse the use of bleach or cleansers for insect envenomation. Topical cortisone and oral benadryl are effective for local reactions and available otc. If the reaction extends beyond local swelling to generalized hives or airway involvement, get emergency medical help fast, adrenalin and steroids. Infection-cellulitis around the insct bite-is lots scarier than it used to be, cuz the antibiotics are not working anymore.

#183231 - 09/26/09 12:26 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Arney]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: Arney
Even if it was then adding chlorine bleach which is an acid should make it worse.

In the practical sense, bleach is actually highly alkaline, like around pH 11. While it's true that the active compound in bleach is hypochlorous acid, the bleach that we find in a bottle has sodium hydroxide added to it to make it highly alkaline. I posted on this topic a long time ago, but this is done to preserve the active ingredient in this highly alkaline state. Otherwise this highly reactive compound would break down and quickly become ineffective in storage.

Still, I agree that bleach isn't something to mess around with lightly.

Well, OK. The sodium hypochlorite reacts with water to produce the hydrochlorous acid?
So in the end it is an acid solution, or did I just get that totally wrong?

(Note: I am not a chemist, but pouring toxic chemicals onto your skin makes no sense to me at all. Read the material safety data sheets on these chemicals and shudder)

#183235 - 09/26/09 01:47 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: scafool]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

The sodium hypochlorite reacts with water to produce the hydrochlorous acid?
So in the end it is an acid solution, or did I just get that totally wrong?

This may sound confusing, but an "acid" doesn't necessarily result in what a non-chemist normally thinks of as an "acidic" solution (i.e. very low pH). The active ingredient in bleach may be an acid, by definition, but a normal, diluted bleach solution is about pH neutral since there is so much water compared to anything else. Think of it this way--sugar is a carbohydrate, but putting a pinch of sugar in a big glass of water doesn't make that solution a "high-carb" drink.

However, the home remedy mentioned in the OP is using "straight" bleach, right out of the bottle, and that solution is highly alkaline because sodium hydroxide is added to the bleach for storage.

#183247 - 09/26/09 03:07 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: Arney]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I have used a tobacco poultice on a wasp sting, it worked for me. imo i think that bleach and ammonia either one would be overkill. But i grew up around wasps (mud and paper) and got stung a lot as a kid.

Jim
I have an extra.

#183253 - 09/26/09 04:40 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: EchoingLaugh]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Vinegar works for many types of sting relief. And in a pinch, so does urine.

#183352 - 09/27/09 07:49 PM Re: Wasp stings and fireants [Re: nursemike]
FigTree
Unregistered

Nurse Mike nailed this one.

Advoidance is the best solution.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.