Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#180947 - 08/31/09 07:13 PM Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive?

Assumptions (and state others you feel necessary to suggest solutions): you have what you normally carry on camping and hiking trips but cannot get back to your vehicle.

Edited by dweste (08/31/09 07:14 PM)

#180953 - 08/31/09 08:05 PM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
To quote the immortal sage H.J.S.
"Normally I'm not a praying man, but Superman if you're up there save me!"

Seriously though, I think your only hope is to find a LARGE body of water and head to the middle. I would guess seeking shelter in a cave wouldn't work due to the oxygen being consumed by the fire. You'd just smother unless the cave was really big/deep.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#180955 - 08/31/09 08:15 PM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I think I remember hearing a hot tub is not big enough body of water wink

My reply on the other thread had links to doc by the US Gov regarding what to do.

#180958 - 08/31/09 08:22 PM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you really know what you're doing (big IF), a backfire may give you some distance from a large fire by using up the fuel. I seem to recall a nasty fire in Montana that caught a group of fire-jumpers. One did the back-fire thing and then set up his shelter in the freshly burned area -- IIRC he survived.

#180966 - 08/31/09 09:14 PM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: dweste]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This scenario is playing out right now in Southern Cal. Five people in some remote part of the Angeles National Park had refused mandatory evac orders, got surrounded by the fire, and are now requesting rescue. Last I heard, the sheriff's dept chopper sent out there is unable to rescue them due to the fire conditions. Sounds like they'll just have to ride the fire out.

So far, I don't think I've heard of any "saves" by homeowners who defied evacuaton orders in the current big wildfire going on right now. Especially after the hot tub incident, I think the public sentiment is leaning towards people should get out when ordered to.

#180974 - 08/31/09 10:05 PM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I have read in the past that a cave (esp one with a small entrance) is better than a Forest Service fire shelter. As the fire passes through, it may use up all the oxygen right there, and you'll likely pass out, but as the fire passes, oxygen will flow in again. If you can't survive in a cave, you wouldn't have survived in one of those tiny shelters.

The popular idea of heading for deep water is fine, if you've got a boat. As the fire goes through/over where you are, the temporary lack of oxygen could cause you to pass out, and if you're in water, you could drown.

Being aware of your surroundings is crucial when you're outdoors. The sooner you know about something like this, the more leeway you've got in choices.

If you refuse to evacuate when warned, there's no reason for other people to endanger their lives because you suddenly realize you've made a bad decision.

And don't whine.

Sue

Edited by Susan (09/01/09 02:42 AM)
Edit Reason: grammer

#180981 - 08/31/09 10:44 PM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That makes sense Sue! I guess what you are essentially doing is making a man-made cave anyway.

Caves and water and an escape route are all nice but most of the time unless you plan ahead or know the area really well you aren't just going to turn around and be confronted with the safety of any of them.

Planning... PREPARING... is very important.

#181002 - 09/01/09 01:07 AM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

is this the best we can put together?

1. Avoid scenario if possible.

2. Escape scenario if possible.

3. Isolate yourself from fire effects if possible: float in large body of water, try create burned out zone with backfires, go into deep cave....

4. Create survival shelter somehow?

5. Hope Superman is listening.

#181005 - 09/01/09 01:21 AM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's a pretty good list. Don't be there being #1, situational awareness is a good thing, pay attention and listen to that inner voice when it tells you somethin' ain't right.

Superman's not listening, YOYO.

#181006 - 09/01/09 01:43 AM Re: Scenario: trapped by wildfire, how to survive? [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

So you have maybe an hour before the fire overruns your location. There is no escape, no large cave or body of water, and you are in mixed forest with small creeks and meadows, various small elevation changes, some rocks.

What is your best shot at survival? Given what you normally carry for camping and hiking, what is the best type of shelter you can build? How can you best provide for thermal protection and some kind of air supply protection? Or is it hopeless?

Edit: is there some other gear to consider carrying in fire season that might give you a better shot?

Edited by dweste (09/01/09 01:44 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.