Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#175485 - 06/30/09 06:24 PM Rucksak question
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Another n00b question here: a friend of mine is going to Thailand in a few weeks. He will be in a mostly urban environment, but hiking is likely. Citing my (highly relative) familiarity with all things outdoorsy, he demanded I present him with the best and most durable/comfortable/cool looking/sexy internal frame 30 liter backpack in the realm.

I have been using Chinese bags of various shapes and sized to great effect. He wants something with street cred. Help!

P.S. The budget is 100 USD.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#175488 - 06/30/09 07:05 PM Re: Rucksak question [Re: Rodion]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

IME this is one issue where feedback from other people is only helpful to a point. We're all different, our build varies, so a backpack that works great for someone may be totally inappropriate for somebody else.

I own a number of backpacks, some cheap, some in the higher price range. You do get what you pay for as far as the construction and materials go. But fit is even more important and it's highly specific. The backpack that fits me best is actually a midrange model. I have a couple of packs that are supposedly "better", but they just don't fit me properly no matter how much I adjust the straps. Which means lower back pain and an altogether lousy experience on longer treks with 20+ lbs.

30 liters is pretty small so the pack isn't going to be very heavy even when fully loaded but proper fit is still critical if your buddy does any long range hiking. My advice would be to do some research but definitely try the backpack in person before you buy it, hopefully with some weight inside. This is just one of those things that are best bought in store rather than ordered online.

#175495 - 06/30/09 09:05 PM Re: Rucksak question [Re: Tom_L]
Akilae Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
"the best and most durable/comfortable/cool looking/sexy internal frame 30 liter backpack in the realm."?

Mystery Ranch, or Kifaru.

Or if he doesn't want something that expensive, then might as well get a North Face. They aren't bad packs, despite being popular to the point of being cliched.

#175496 - 06/30/09 09:08 PM Re: Rucksak question [Re: Rodion]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Berghaus 32 Freeflow light might be an idea. Super lightweight (850 grams) with lots of features.

http://www.berghaus.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=1785&Gear=1

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/view/berghaus-freeflow-light-32

#175507 - 07/01/09 02:31 AM Re: Rucksak question [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
The Berghaus sure is sexy. For $100, you can also look at a Kelty MAP 3500, search on these forums for a URL to the vendor. Comes in a variety of colors - not nearly as sexy as Der Berghaus, but the build quality is good and the price is right.

#175528 - 07/01/09 03:31 PM Re: Rucksak question [Re: Tom_L]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
He went with an Outdoor Revolution Hiker 60. The only brand mentioned here that was available was the North Face, but that goes for 300 $...

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
IME this is one issue where feedback from other people is only helpful to a point. We're all different, our build varies, so a backpack that works great for someone may be totally inappropriate for somebody else.

I own a number of backpacks, some cheap, some in the higher price range. You do get what you pay for as far as the construction and materials go. But fit is even more important and it's highly specific. The backpack that fits me best is actually a midrange model. I have a couple of packs that are supposedly "better", but they just don't fit me properly no matter how much I adjust the straps. Which means lower back pain and an altogether lousy experience on longer treks with 20+ lbs.

30 liters is pretty small so the pack isn't going to be very heavy even when fully loaded but proper fit is still critical if your buddy does any long range hiking. My advice would be to do some research but definitely try the backpack in person before you buy it, hopefully with some weight inside. This is just one of those things that are best bought in store rather than ordered online.

Sage advice.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#175557 - 07/02/09 03:06 AM Re: Rucksak question [Re: Lono]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had tried out my Berghaus Freeflow light 32, yesterday for the first time as a lightweight day pack and I am particularly impressed with the level of comfort especially the highly ventilated back system especially on hot days as it was yesterday.

The only downside I found was that the pack narrowed in the middle making it difficult to rummage around at the bottom of the pack to get to those items when needed. But this was only a small issue. Overall I was very impressed with the comfort though and the overall weight of the pack.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 408 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.