Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169835 - 03/20/09 06:49 PM Ground to Air Emergency Signaling
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

That unfortunate Canadian couple whose "SOS" was overlooked last month got me to thinking: is stamping out an "SOS" a choice method for ground to air communication? It seems to be a common tactic in films and TV, yet I was taught that a large "X" or triangle was best, as these are quicker and easier to make.

My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#169836 - 03/20/09 07:00 PM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: Meadowlark]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

I think it depends who you expect to see your signal.

Everybody knows what SOS means, and what to do about it (with the exception of a small number of people working near a certain resort in BC, but I digress).

But if Joe Average is out skiing and he sees a big X in the snow on the slope opposite, is he likely to do anything about it?

If you left a trip plan, and you're overdue, then you know that SAR is likely to come looking for you. If your buddy broke his leg, and you're stranded, and you're not overdue ... you may be relying on Joe Average to interpret what your signal means.

#169839 - 03/20/09 07:44 PM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: Andrew_S]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I agree with the above. Yes, X marks the spot, but actually I think it means like "medical help required" or something more specific than "help!"

SOS SHOULD mean something. Unless you're Canadian (eh!) employed to actually pay attention to those things. Kind of like the paramedics with that actress up in Quebec (but I digress, and as I understand things, she turned them away).

I think if you have time and resources, an SOS would probably be more useful than an X.

I wonder how many people are actually trained to recognize the one-letter ground-to-air communication signals?

#169840 - 03/20/09 08:16 PM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: Meadowlark]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
This is interesting question. I thought about this too. I would probably try to make the "SOS" because (like Andrew S has mentioned) it would be clear to more people as opposed to "V" or "X".
I would make the "V" symbol if I knew SAR people are looking for me or if I had no time or energy for making the "SOS" symbol.

Similar question arises: what would you use for acoustical signaling (whistle) or light signaling (flashlight)?

..._ _ _... (SOS) or _ _ _ (3x sound/flash) ?

If you were in Alpine area would you use the Alpine distress signal(6 signals in one minute, then one minute pause, then repeat) or rather something else?

#169852 - 03/20/09 11:04 PM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: raptor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If I heard and audible SOS or three of something with a pause in between, or three fires or smokes (esp in a triangle), or saw SOS in the snow, I would report it. An X could be a marking for a helicopter to land to pick up some rich hunters.

And if I saw/heard any of those in Canada, I would report DIRECTLY to the RCMP.

Sue

#169857 - 03/21/09 12:39 AM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: ]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Good post Izzy, but isnīt the diagram about ground to air symbols rather for military? I think something like this would be more universal.

#169860 - 03/21/09 01:20 AM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: ]
Andrew_S Offline
Journeyman

I think the reality is that searchers won't expect the lost party to know ground-to-air signals. Anything that makes your position visible from the air will get checked out, whether it means "require doctor" or "serious injuries, require medevac" or "require assistance," or even "all is well, send pizza" for that matter.

(That last one is a circle, divided into eight segments. Remember that, it could save your life one day.)

This is one of those cases where information from military survival manuals isn't really relevant to the civvie side. Those signals are really for military communication sans radio, rather than universal distress signals. You don't need correct signals if you've been reported lost; if not, you need something that anyone will recognize as a distress signal.

Michael Green, a British humour writer, discusses distress signals in his book The Art of Coarse Cruising, complete with photo illustrations of "correct" and "incorrect" signals.

The "incorrect" photo shows a boat flying its flag upside down, ball hoisted over signal flag, etc., while the crew calmly await rescue. The "correct" photo shows a boat displaying no signals whatsoever, but with the crew in various comic poses of panic.

It's funny, but it's true.

#169867 - 03/21/09 03:39 AM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A friend with two female passengers took his boat a little too far offshore when their engine quit. They had no radio. They waved various objects and flashed lights at the many small aircraft that flew nearby. A CG helicopter kept flying nearby but it refused to slow down or take notice.

Thing changed when the two ladies removed their tops. The helicopter slowed down and got closer. Once they were close enough my friend held up a sign made of his tee shirt with "HELP" written on it in engine grease The pilot asked over the speaker what the problem was. They indicated engine problems and signed that they were otherwise safe but had no radio.

The pilot indicated that help would be there soon. About ten minutes later a small CG boat pulled up and gave them a tow. On the way back the ladies flashed, waved and generally flirted with the CG crew. The CG was nice enough to pull them right up to their launch site and announce the help was free. There may have been an exchange of phone numbers.

Lesson: If your going to get into trouble have a couple of nice looking ladies close by. Your average male rescue worker might miss a 10' square distress flag that's close enough to touch. But can spot a well formed rack at a kilometer through fog.

Like fishing, you have to use the right bait.

#169868 - 03/21/09 03:53 AM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: ]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Very insightful input on this.

I'm now thinking that perhaps an "SOS" or "HELP" would be warranted after all, as not everyone who might see it would have an aviation, military, scout or SAR background. That said, if one is injured, an "X" or triangle would perhaps still be a useful backup option.

EDIT: Seriously, Art? (Just read your post)

Edited by Meadowlark (03/21/09 03:56 AM)
Edit Reason: added response
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#169869 - 03/21/09 03:58 AM Re: Ground to Air Emergency Signaling [Re: Meadowlark]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.