Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#154254 - 11/04/08 01:07 PM Workout regimens
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Following up on the recent thread on the "best" overall exercise I thought we could go into fitness programs as well. Not that it has never been discussed here before but even just writing and reading about various training methods might motivate our members (myself included!) to get off the computer and do something about it...

So for starters, a few easily remembered and effective ways of combining bodyweight exercises, most of which can be done anywhere without additional equipment:

Ladders

Much more effective than sets of fixed reps, this is a good way to increase the overall volume without burning out. Start with a single rep, rest briefly, do 2 reps, rest again, then 3 reps etc.

For example, 1-6:
1/2/3/4/5/6

Rest between sets should only be as long as it takes you to complete each set, but never longer than 30 to 60 seconds at most.

This works best with relatively challenging exercises (pullups or one-arm pushups). The max set should be difficult but not impossible to complete. Alternatively, start with the max set and work your way down to a single rep, e.g. 6/5/4/3/2/1. That way seems to work better for me.

You can do several ladders in a row but only after a longer rest, 3-5 min.

If the exercise is easy so that you can crank out several dozen reps per maximum set ladders are not optimal. But you could multiply the number of reps per set and do something like this:
2/4/6/8/10/12 or the other way around. Great for pushups, burpees or squat thrusts.

Pyramids

Pretty much the same, only that instead of finishing with the maximum set you then follow up with progressively shorter sets back to 1:
1/2/3/4/5/4/3/2/1.

This works for some people but can lead to overtraining if you exceed the optimal volume.

Circuit training

Do one set, then proceed with a set of a different exercise immediately without rest. Works best if you alternate major muscle groups. Might look something like this:
30 squats
30 pushups
30 V-ups, crunches or anything else for the abs.

Can be done in timed rounds, usually 2-5 minutes total, with 30 to 60 seconds for each exercise.

Repeat the circuit several times after a 2-3 min. rest. For extra challenge, try active rest - do jumping jacks or jump rope between the circuits.

Tabata intervals

Simply put, a very high intensity 4 min. circuit. Do an exercise at top intensity for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds and repeat for 8 times total.

Very effective for improving your anaerobic capacity. Ideal for sprinting, bike etc. Bodyweight squats are also a great idea, even pushups if you are good at them already. Only suitable for people who have already developed a strong foundation. You MUST push yourself to the point of maximum exertion though.

----------------------------------------------------------

All in all, you could integrate several of these methods into a reasonably short, yet very effective bodyweight regimen with an emphasis on strength/anaerobic endurance. With an extra 20-30 min. cardio workout several times per week you would be well on your way on developing excellent all-around fitness.

#154256 - 11/04/08 01:56 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Tom_L]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Hmmm...that's doable.

#169706 - 03/19/09 03:41 AM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Tom_L]
koyali Offline
Stranger

hi this is koyali and now a days so many people suffer jobs even software engineers also suffer at present in america so many people they loss their houses and live in small tents this is very bad condition so no one can not depend others and work is available in our houses i will provide here see
=============
koyali

workout programs

#169725 - 03/19/09 01:09 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Tom_L]
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
Sometimes there's a lot to learn from the most innocuous activity.

I do some farming on weekends and try to keep up with people who have that core strength and endurance that most farmers seem to have. I really think that this kind of activity is beneficial in that it trains the body in ways that might not be available in a gym, although once you've done the activity then you might be able to mimic it in the gym.

E.g., using a cutlass or machete to clear bush for a few hours really teaches you that there are muscles on your arm, back and abdominal region that you had no idea existed or were so weak.

Away from the farm, I go for walks carrying a medicine ball (10-15lbs) alternating from arm to arm both under the arm and on the shoulder. Sometimes it gets so that I have to use both arms. Usually I do this for about a half-hour walk. I discovered this when I nearly died trying to carry a pumpkin (about 20lbs) from the back of the farm to the boat wearing long boots - a distance of about 1.25 miles.

This exercise gets my arm, leg, back and abdominal muscles working really good and imparts a strength and endurance that's hard to mimic in the gym. A lighter weight could be used for beginners, people who are not fit or are elderly. Note that this sounds similar to persons who train with a backpack but it is significantly different. Please give it a try.

I really think that, while it is not the "cure all" of exercises, it is an important exercise and one (of many) that is relevant to survival situations.

#169727 - 03/19/09 01:33 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Tom_L]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Ladders

Much more effective than sets of fixed reps, this is a good way to increase the overall volume without burning out.

I don't think I've ever understood the logic behind ladders. Can anyone shed more light on this? Seems like you're mostly just wasting time building up to the max set. I mean, it's really the hardest last couple reps of any strength exercise that is really stimulating your muscles, so doing sets of manageable reps to build up to that max set is not pushing your muscles to the limit. Why not go straight to the max number from the get-go?

Pyramids, I can understand the benefit more easily, but mostly in terms those reps on "downward" side of the max set. Funny, Tom, you mention that reverse ladders seem to work better for you, so you're basically just doing the "downward" part of pyramid, which is also the part that makes sense to me.

#169729 - 03/19/09 02:16 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Arney]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
My exercise regimen is a dog, bike and dumbbells.

#169731 - 03/19/09 02:23 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Arney]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
Why not go straight to the max number from the get-go?

Because you can do many more reps overall than just pumping out a few max sets. More reps = more volume, more volume = better results.

The idea with ladders is to keep the rests between sets very short. So in effect you're working out at very high intensity but sneak in just enough rest to avoid burning out. Also, the low-rep sets stimulate your neurological system. Your muscles "learn" how to perform a given action optimally. In turn, that leads to better performance and more strength (without necessarily adding extra muscle mass).

Look into Pavel's Power to the People if you want some more info. Ladders are pretty effective whether counting reps up or down.

#169734 - 03/19/09 03:00 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Likewise, I use pyramids when weight training. I start with a warm-up weight and increase the weight to a max weight set where I can still do the desired reps; then I start pulling weight off and work back down to my warm-up weight. Again, the idea is to increase the total number of reps, but the reps on the back-side of the pyramid are tougher because of that max set. Lots of different concepts to the same goal. Most important is to not stay in a rut. If you hit a plateau, do something different.

#169756 - 03/19/09 11:04 PM Re: Workout regimens [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For a change of pace I did 1000 meters in the pool over lunch. No pyramids, no ladders.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.