I posted this in on my blog. I was going to put this on the preparedness forum but maybe it would be better here. It's not politics, though, it's mindset. I'm being subtle in the distinctions being drawn here, but you guys are smart.
-------------------------
There are many reasons why terrorism is the most unlikely threat to be worried about. Would-be terrorists already have an appealing target in allied forces in the Middle East; it is hard to preach hatred and violence against a remote West when Western soldiers are causing trouble in your village. That does not mean, of course, that a terrorist attack could not occur here -- many domestic terrorist attacks have been stopped since 9/11. And this will not stop any time soon.

Consider the nature of the war itself. I am quoting here from The Mind of the Terrorist, by Jerrold M. Post: "If one accepts the premise that terrorism is a vicious species of psychological warfare, waged through the media, with violence as communication, one does not counter psychological warfare with smart bombs and missiles. One counters psychological warfare with psychological warfare."

Edited by SAFisher (03/15/09 07:41 PM)