Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168398 - 03/02/09 02:41 PM My knife broke, can you trust yours?
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I had a Smith and Wesson neck knife that had a skeletonized handle. Saturday, I was working in the back yard and needed to cut a few vines which were about 3/8" in diameter. I cut a couple easily and then on the next cut, the blade rotated up. What the heck, then I realized that the blade had broken. Where the blade meets skeleton section it only has about 1/8" of steel top and bottom. It shouldn't have broken, but it did.

I had trusted that knife as part of my kit. I am so glad this failure happened at home. My other neck knife is a CRKT Ryan Plan B is a more solid knife and I feel comfortable with it.

I just wanted to mention this incident to remind everyone to take a critical look at their tools. I don't think I will ever carry a skeletonized handle knife again.

David Enoch

#168405 - 03/02/09 03:06 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: DavidEnoch]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Personally, I don't like neck knives, and I've not liked the few skeletonized handle'd ones I've bought.

However, if you'd like to buy a nice replacement, I have some items for sail in the Around The Campfire section (shameless plug!)

#168417 - 03/02/09 04:17 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: DavidEnoch]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Smith & Wesson makes great firearms not knives. Most of their knives are poor quality cheap imports. I would never buy one.
Skeleton handles are also a problem; less material means less strength. There are some good revolutionized handle knives like the Becker Necker.
If you want a quality "neck knife" try the offerings from makers like Becker, Rat Cutlery or Benchmade.
Yes you can trust your knife but only if you start out with quality.

Edited by billym (03/02/09 04:20 PM)

#168422 - 03/02/09 04:51 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: billym]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
... and yet another reason to get out there and use your knives and other gear - rather than just stuffing them into bags.

I'm not talking about abusing gear, but using it as intended.

Of course there are some exceptions (some signal mirrors, fire starters, water purifier chemicals, ...), but in most of those cases I try to buy one to practice with and another to pack.

#168428 - 03/02/09 05:23 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: DavidEnoch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Post a pic of the broken knife if you can. I'd be interested in seeing if it broke at a stress riser. That said, it's good to know your limitations and those of your tools. Now you know that that tool would have been a bad choice in a real survival situation.

As for the question: yes, I do trust mine.

#168432 - 03/02/09 06:15 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: DavidEnoch]
11BINF Offline

Loc: phx. az. u.s.a
ditto billym...save your pennys and buy top qaulity kit,even the small do-dad items that we like...try not to buy/do'nt buy cheap import stuff or you also might suffer from equipment failure when your life may depend on it..this i preach to anyone who will listen to me...vince g.11b inf

#168433 - 03/02/09 06:17 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: Russ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Sorry about your accident but now you have learned the hard way why the concept of skeletonized handles doesn't work well in practice. Any stick/rattail tang knife with a solid grip is going to be far more durable. On a skeletonized handle the frame is going to be heavily stressed and likely to break where it meets the blade, especially if there are any sharp corners. More so if the steel is low quality and the heat treatment wasn't perfect.

I could never understand why people like skeletonized neck knives aside from the "cool & tactical" factor. They're a pain to use because even with a paracord wrap the grip is basically too narrow and digs into the palm too much. I certainly wouldn't carry one as a serious backup blade. If that's all you end up with in an emergency you'll be in trouble - I think you'd be better off with a SAK.

In any case, a small Mora makes an infinitely better neck knife. The size/bulk difference is negligible considering you get a much stronger knife with an excellent blade that can actually stand up to heavy duty work. But again, YMMV! shocked

#168439 - 03/02/09 06:58 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: billym]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: billym
Yes you can trust your knife but only if you start out with quality.

I trust my Bark River Iknives with my life. Since I use them in emergency kits that is exactly what I am doing.
For the last 3 years, I've EDC'ed a custom handled Bark River Mini Northstar as a necker with no reservations.
I also usually have a Bark River PSK knife in my pocket.

#168442 - 03/02/09 07:44 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: Stu]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I won't trust ANY single object with my life. My life is just too precious. That's why everything I use and do has some kind of back-up plan. That's how I ended up on these forums.

>>Get me out of trouble plan - cell phone, PLB, plan given to neighbor & family

>>Truck - 4WD, seat belts, air bags, lots of care

>>Navigation - map, compass, sun, north star, watch, GPS

>>Shelter - tent, tarp, plastic bags, truck, branches & debrees

>>Fire - lighter, sparker, folder, fixed blade, usually an axe when out camping, saw (of some size)

>>Water - Miox, pot to boil water in, sometimes a Hiker filter, usually have some bleach along

You get the idea.

#168448 - 03/02/09 08:02 PM Re: My knife broke, can you trust yours? [Re: KenK]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
When I used to climb, I trusted each rope, figure 8, harness, caribienner, etc. with my life. While firefighting I trusted my airpack, mask and turnout gear with my life, as well as my brother firefighters.
All the grear I have in my emergency kits I trust with my life or it would not be there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.