The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156155 - 11/23/08 06:13 PM Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Ok, first responders and ER types, I have a question.

Are you seeing a sharp increase in motorcycle accidents related to people seeking alternate transportation in these times of costly fuel and "going green".

Here in my small area of DFW, there have been 8 major MC accidents in the last 4 months. That is WAY up from previous year. Three have either happened in front of me, or I drove up just as the dust settled.

Normally my vehicle FAK needs replenished due to "boo boo's", once a year.
This summer alone I had to restock major blood stopping stuff twice. (all three involved fatalities either DRT or DOA hospital)

It has actually gotten to the point, that I recognized one of the flight nurses from two scenes.

Aside from Kerlix and tons of Guaze any suggestions.

Also, if you are in an area of multiple jurisdictions, KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. I bounced thru four 911 operators before I demanded to talk to the town I was in (Cell Phone). Once I got authoritative, (not nasty) they understood and sent help.

RIP OBG

#156159 - 11/23/08 08:55 PM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: Desperado]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
In the Greater Wasatch Area (Oqden to Provo) we really haven't seen "large" increases in accidents (I think 2 over same time last year) Any Hooo just carring a FAK over nothing is commendable, Like you stated "tons" of Kerlex, 4x4's is by far the safest and least expensive way to go. After you do the "inital" control the bleeding, rescue is not that far off.

Mike
Trauma Tech
EMT

#156160 - 11/23/08 09:18 PM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: kd7fqd]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Thanks. Last one was not fun. Just came to a rest as I pulled up. NO HELMET! Don't get me started on that one, as I hate wearing them but do because I hate the thought of my pumpkin hitting the ground without one. (9 concussions already from Motocross and 3wheelers [just dated myself] even with skid lids)

I was alone and saw the guy go down.
Got the HD off his back. Help arrived right about then.
Cleared about a pound of dirt, rocks and grass out if nose and mouth which was under his torso face almost to chest. (didn't move the head)
Worked on bleeders due to his trip thru wire fence.
Called 911 because no one who pulled up was that bright. (yeah I should have multi-tasked but hind sight = 20/20)
When I finally fought thru 4 911 services, this guy was already breathing like he was snoring (Cant remember proper term). Told 911 to start Care-Flight along with EMS due to bleeding / breathing / No Helmet.
Could hear helo in distance when 1st ground unit (LEO) pulled up.
While EMS packaged him up, LEO's and I set LZ while helo orbited (power line were issue) Then EMS washed me up some and replenished my FAK. That was really nice.

Didn't turn out well sadly.

RIP OBG

#156173 - 11/23/08 11:40 PM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having worked a jillion murdercycle accidents over the years, assuming you are talking a solo vehicle crash, you will see lots of road rash, which hurts like the blazes, 'specially when they take the scrub brush to it in the ER, but won't kill you, and neck/head injuries. I would worry most about airway and C-spine precautions. If it is the left turn right of way type crash, where a car made a left turn right in front of the cycle, head/neck/internal. All of which can not be fixed in the field. I would insure an airway, immobilize as best you can (that will include other "helpers" from jumping in and doing damage), stop any major bleeds (lots of 4x4's), and wait for help. If this happens to be on a busy highway, hope for an ER dr, nurse, or paramagic to stop, then know what they are doing. If a procologist stops to help, don't let him, he has probably forgotten any emergency stuff years ago...

#156180 - 11/24/08 02:14 AM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: OldBaldGuy]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I am not a first responder, but I did recently lose a friend to this exact thing. He had bought a scooter to save $$ on gas and have a lower impact on the environment, and was hit by a car about 6 weeks ago.

#156182 - 11/24/08 02:36 AM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: OldBaldGuy]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
which hurts like the blazes, 'specially when they take the scrub brush to it in the ER.... If a procologist stops to help, don't let him, he has probably forgotten any emergency stuff years ago...

Scrubbing out the road rash doesn't have to hurt-a kindly ER type can use topical lidocaine products, if they choose to do so. Which they usually don't.Call it part of the patient education program... Proctologists can be dangerous at the scene-a friend found one at an mvc (that the proctologist had caused by running a light). The doc had a big bottle of injectable morphine in his black bag, and was administering it iv to the otherwise untreated little old ladies in the other car. The lawsuit dragged on for ages, but the professional misconduct proceeding went real fast.

#156185 - 11/24/08 02:53 AM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess that I should have added that back in one of the gas shortages of the late '70's-early '80's, I thought about buying a murdercycle to save us money on my daily 19 mile commute to work. Looked at a used 500 or so cc bike. Then did the math, cost of bike, cost of additional registration and insurance, bike mileage as opposed to my Toyota P/U. Figured I would have to ride it every day 'bout nine months a year for something like NINE years before I would start to show a profit. Going to a bike ain't gonna save all that much! (well, maybe a Vespa or something, but not a REAL murdercycle)...

#156188 - 11/24/08 03:40 AM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jakam
Unregistered

Here in Cali, they are proud to zip in between lanes, and in between cars, it's legal to split the middle like that, we see at least 1 crash a week.

Folks seem to be too aggressive on the road to make motorcycles a safe bet these days.

But riding a bicycle on the street scares me these days, people aren't good at "sharing the road".

#156189 - 11/24/08 04:47 AM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

----"Here in my small area of DFW, there have been 8 major MC accidents in the last 4 months. That is WAY up from previous year. Three have either happened in front of me, or I drove up just as the dust settled."----

I forgot to mention the 8 Major accidents (meaning a helicopter was needed) happened in an area 4 miles long on a single state highway, and the "older 2 lane version" of same highway that parallels it 1/4 mile away.

Does not include Minor (no air ambulance) or two overnight hit and runs that were not found until daylight.

Pass on to those considering taking up two wheels for the first time: Please learn to ride safely for the conditions around you, and obtain the proper attitude and safety equipment BEFORE riding in traffic. Motorcycle Safety Foundation and Harley Davidson provide several courses, that I promise will help equip to survive the roads.

RIP OBG

#156201 - 11/24/08 01:09 PM Re: Trauma, Motorcycles and Expensive Fuel [Re: Desperado]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Desperado- thanks for being willing and able to help.

While saving gas is nice, not being dead or injured takes precedence. I think folks seriously underestimate the risks they are running.

I ride a motorcycle but not as a commuter alternative. I ride more like recreational flying - optional whether to go at all, pick your conditions, only go if feeling at the top of your game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 282 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.