The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155496 - 11/17/08 05:11 PM Baking bread in the fireplace
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Yesterday my wife experimented with baking bread in a coffee can in our fireplace, (our oven is on the fritz) and the results were astounding...it was delicious! It was an all-wheat bread and the fire really gave it a great smokey taste. She just had to keep an eye on it so it didnt burn.

I have purchased a grill that can be used over a fire, and soon we'd like to experiment with pizza as well. Steaks of course have been fantastic cooked over the open flames.

I'll see if I can get a recipe for that bread.

#155503 - 11/17/08 05:25 PM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: el_diabl0]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Be carefull, lest your clan start gathering around the ancient hearth and start TALKINg and telling stories insead of entering trance states in front of the teevee.

#155505 - 11/17/08 05:35 PM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The campfire, nature's TV.

#155539 - 11/17/08 10:11 PM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

a clay flower pot works fine also..

#155541 - 11/17/08 10:31 PM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: benjammin

Nope, it's more like a lava lamp.

Nature's TV is the storyteller, the bard, the spinner of yarns and tales. *grins*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#155551 - 11/18/08 02:01 AM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: el_diabl0]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
Yesterday my wife experimented with baking bread in a coffee can in our fireplace, (our oven is on the fritz) and the results were astounding...it was delicious! It was an all-wheat bread and the fire really gave it a great smokey taste. She just had to keep an eye on it so it didnt burn.

I have purchased a grill that can be used over a fire, and soon we'd like to experiment with pizza as well. Steaks of course have been fantastic cooked over the open flames.

"I'm dougwalkabout and I approve [of] this post." ;-)

Seriously, though, I love how our woodstove takes over as the "altar" in the living room as soon as we light it. It turns the TV into just another power-sucking idiot appliance. Then pull out the guitar and get some music going, crack another bottle of red, and life as we know it is very, very good.

Though when family start telling stories, one might occasionally wish for a "mute" button.

Gotta try that coffee can bread.

Edited by dougwalkabout (11/18/08 02:03 AM)

#155562 - 11/18/08 03:14 AM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: dougwalkabout]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
While I hope other that have posted in this thread are correct in their comments, I really liked the original post for another reason.

Someone experimented in cooking/baking. That it worked is even better.

Many of my early lessons in cooking came while I was trying to cook on an old tugboat that had a cast iron stove fired by diesel fuel. It had a firebox into which fuel entered and an air blower. You adjusted heat by adjusting the amount of fuel and air. What you never really knew was the temperature. In order to cook anything and figure out when it was done, one relied on old fashoned methods, like the toothpick inserted into a baked good or seeing when a turkey's juices ran clear. You also never wanted to turn it on during the summer, so a baked ziti in the summer was baked on a grill.

Using and avoiding that obsolete pile of iron made me experiment. A conventional approach didn't work, and the people who might have had such things in their homes at one time were all dead. It made me a pretty fearless cook, and I now have cooking methods that I've never seen anyone else use. Some of them are great.

#155575 - 11/18/08 04:47 AM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: benjammin]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: benjammin

...amen to that. I can stare at a fire for hours.

The great bread inspired me to make a huge pot of cream of potato soup tonight. Cold snowy night, hot soup, fresh bread, roaring fireplace. The beginning of winter is always the best. By late March, I'll be pulling my hair out, craving a bike ride.

#155732 - 11/20/08 12:32 AM Re: What YoDuh uses [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

El_Diablo, can you post up the recipe that you used? Also how do you cook in a fireplace??

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#155749 - 11/20/08 07:51 AM Re: Baking bread in the fireplace [Re: el_diabl0]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Since I don't have an oven (let a lone a fireplace) where I'm living now. I've been experimenting quite a lot with making bannock on the stove. The trick I've found is using really low heat and only the barest layer of grease (I use bacon fat) so that the bread doesn't really fry. I've even made a chocolate bread. Its all been really tasty and while I'll spend most of the evening doing it, basing it on two cups of flour makes enough for me to snack on for three or four days.

I love to cook, but making bread really seems almost like alchemy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 480 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.