The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#148690 - 09/12/08 09:48 PM Channel tunnel fire
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The Guardian: Channel tunnel fire

The fire broke out 7 miles from the French end of the tunnel and 24 miles from the English end, and took 16+ hours to put out. No deaths, but 14 people in hospital from smoke inhalation.

"... the emergency exit jammed, and one passenger had to take a hammer to a window to get people out."

#148703 - 09/12/08 11:32 PM Re: Channel tunnel fire [Re: Brangdon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
"... the emergency exit jammed, and one passenger had to take a hammer to a window to get people out."

I read that description earlier today, too. However, considering how new the system is, I was wondering if those truck(lorry) drivers were trying to open an exit that was designed to stay closed in just such a situation?

This is completely conjecture on my part, but in a tunnel fire, there is going to be massive amounts of smoke and the only places with air will be inside the train or in the adjacent service tunnel that passengers can escape to. If the emergency procedure is to wait for train personnel to direct you to the best exit, then smashing out windows wherever you are could just be letting smoke into the train unnecessarily.

Again, just total speculation on my part. I'd love to hear any comments from the authorities regarding these "jammed emergency exits".

#148743 - 09/13/08 12:24 PM Re: Channel tunnel fire [Re: Arney]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
You may be right. From other reports: "Eurotunnel's Gounon said people suffered smoke inhalation injuries because they evacuated the train themselves before tunnel operators had ventilated away the smoke, as safety procedures call for."

And: "Gounon said safety precautions had worked "perfectly," and he dismissed the matter of truck drivers smashing windows as a "normal" reaction by men who "perhaps wanted to get out faster than necessary from the pressurised cabin."

He told French radio the automatic doors on the shuttle only function when it is certain that safety fans are working so there is no risk of anyone being overcome by fumes.
"

Although I doubt anyone EDCs a hammer, so presumably it was provided in the train specifically for the purpose of breaking windows in the event that the emergency exit failed. (Unless it wasn't actually a hammer but a multitool or something carried by the passengers.)

There is another report of other passengers forcing a door open. Maybe it just opened on its own after the fans started.

Edited by Brangdon (09/13/08 12:25 PM)

#148754 - 09/13/08 03:21 PM Re: Channel tunnel fire [Re: Brangdon]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Although I doubt anyone EDCs a hammer...

I believe that the fire started in the freight section, where heavy trucks are ferried under the Channel. I think it's logical to assume that the truck drivers had tools in their vehicles that they grabbed to smash the window(s).

I was just reading another update on this fire. There have been a few tunnel fires since the Eurotunnel service started, and all of seem to have originated with trucks catching fire. I wonder if the owners of these trucks are ever held responsible for these fires that started with their vehicles?

At first, I was thinking about how frightening it seems being stuck under the Channel during a fire. But, on second thought, it's not quite as scary as I thought when I remembered that you're always going to be on a train with trained personnel who have presumably been drilled on what to do, there are onboard safety systems, and you are hopefully only a short distance away from safety in the adjacent service tunnel. That's a far different situation than, say, the Mont Blanc tunnel fire where everyone is driving their own vehicle deep inside some tunnel. In that case, it's every person for themselves and if you don't know what to do or where to flee to safety, you're out of luck.

#148772 - 09/13/08 09:06 PM Re: Channel tunnel fire [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I hope the trained personnel in the Chunnel aren't trained by the same people as our airline TSA people...

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 528 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.