Topic Options
#147323 - 09/04/08 12:53 AM Here we go again; Hurricane IKE
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Hurricane Ike Strengthens to Category 3 Storm
Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Hurricane Ike was upgraded to a category 3 storm by the National Hurricane Center as the storm moves west across the Atlantic.

The latest advisory from the National Hurricane Center, issued Wednesday evening, put Ike's wind speed at near 115 mph, with higher gusts.
***continued***
IKE

Projected Storm Track

Look out South Florida

#147324 - 09/04/08 01:01 AM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: Stu]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I sure feel sorry for the people of Haiti, they are getting hit with a hurricane a week three weeks running. That has got to hurt. I hope those folks are prepared.

#147336 - 09/04/08 02:39 AM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: Tarzan]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Check out:

http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/

The "Atlantic Basin" "Early-cycle intensity guidance" ( frame 2 right now ), shows a few models think it could get to CAT 4, and one model says CAT 5 ( about 150 knots/ 172mph ) about 72 hours (3 days) from "now" ( now being 8pm EST/0000 UTC ). Puts it about 8pm on Saturday, which according to the official track, puts it east of the Bahamas. The chart has fluctuated, because earlier today, it said 36 hours out.

#147340 - 09/04/08 03:00 AM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: ki4buc]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Ike is, as of 2330 local news, a category 4 hurricane.

That, in and of itself, doesn't scare me even though any strong storm can be very bad. What gets my attention is that there are three storms on the screen. Any hurricanes is a hell of a lot bigger than I am. That's okay because I'm scrappy. But when they start to outnumber me three to one it starts to worry me.

I guess worse comes to pass I take the long length of half-inch line I keep handy and lash myself to the lee side of the big oak.

We had a couple of quiet hurricane seasons. Looks like this one might swing the other way.

#147342 - 09/04/08 03:35 AM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: Art_in_FL]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...lash myself to the lee side of the big oak..."

I really hope that you don't become a pancake if that mighty oak goes down.

I don't know how you guys do it. We are gonna be sailing, in a great big cruise ship, from the north coast of Venzuela to Miami on 'bout 10Oct, and we are already worrying about what kind of TS/hurricane might be in the area then. You guys to it a bunch of times, every year.

(and, lucky us, our boat is having problems with its "azipod," an electric egg beater type gizmo that replaces a normal screw and rudder, causing it to have to run at less than top speed. Oh joy. Gonna cost us our trip under the Golden Gate too, that port has been cancelled)...

#147356 - 09/04/08 06:15 AM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
OBG - EEEK! Not a good time to cruise those waters! I've been in the start/mid of August and it can be nasty then too.

Stay safe.

-Todd

#147364 - 09/04/08 01:25 PM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: Todd W]
bojr Offline
BillyO
Stranger

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
My (already paid) mid-September cruise is a no go! On the other hand it sure looks like I (and Florida) will have greater worries and possible loss due to Ike. I want to rename it "Yikes". Time to recheck our plan.

#147367 - 09/04/08 01:49 PM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: bojr]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Looks like I am heading back to Orlando for a couple weeks in between Ike and Josephine. If the tail end of the track I saw for Ike last night holds true, and Ike stays at Cat 4 or goes to Cat 5, I guess I will be back in time to pick up the pieces of my home there. I can only hope Josephine follows a different track and doesn't come in right behind Ike. I suspect the African coast will continue to spew these nasties off at us until late October.

Ugh.

#147382 - 09/04/08 03:30 PM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Looks like I am heading back to Orlando for a couple weeks in between Ike and Josephine. If the tail end of the track I saw for Ike last night holds true, and Ike stays at Cat 4 or goes to Cat 5, I guess I will be back in time to pick up the pieces of my home there. I can only hope Josephine follows a different track and doesn't come in right behind Ike. I suspect the African coast will continue to spew these nasties off at us until late October.

Ugh.

May you, your family, and your home survive safely the coming hurricanes.
Stu

#147420 - 09/04/08 10:13 PM Re: Here we go again; Hurricane IKE [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin

I suspect the African coast will continue to spew these nasties off at us until late October.

Ugh.

I think you got that right.

The Tropic of Cancer off Africa is starting to remind me of an aircraft carrier. One determined to do its worse to the Southeast US. They are launching storm as fast as they can. I see two storms coming at us. One on-deck with the wings being unfolded. And it looks like hints of another coming up on the elevator.

I guess this is payback for the quiet years. Feast or famine is a hell of a way to do business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.