The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144544 - 08/18/08 03:46 AM opinion on wagon please
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
what do you guys think of this . Carries 600 lbs, which could be gear and my kids. High walls allow it to be stack of pancakes style.

I have a family of 5.

Good points of a tub versus a flatbed can be argued.
1) Tub could be great for retrieving larger quantities of water when the destination is reached. Tubs have other benefits along those lines.
2) Tubs help make it hard to lose small things (no holes to drop through)
3) The Tub may be easier to keep stuff dry than a metal mesh garden cart.

Plastic vs. metal is also an argument.
1) Plastic is hard to repair in the field, however, without the proper tools metal is also.
2) Plastic doesn't rust.
3) Plastic wears out quicker than metal.

Some reviewers point out that you can use the chassis and just replace the tub, which could lead to options allowing me to fabricate a platform that would be more perfect for my bugging out needs. I thought of a method to allow me to change a tub for a flatbed without much effort.

But the biggest thing I see is that it can arrive at my place for $70 delivered, including delivery fees and taxes. Until it would be used as a survival tool, it would be used for household duties.

I dunno, I'm tempted. The cost benefit ratio seems pretty decent.

Anyone have any observations they would like to share?

#144554 - 08/18/08 04:23 AM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: clarktx]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
What are you going to use it for, bugging out?

An auto is a better choice, if you have to bug out I would guess that you are going to want to go farther then you are going to want to pull a wagon. And the trunk of even a compact car can hold more then a wagon.

As a kids toy it’s OK

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144556 - 08/18/08 04:31 AM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: BobS]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I guess I should clarify that point.

I agree that a car is the best option if its a practical means of transportation in a given situation. But I feel that there may be situations where I may have to leave, but would not be able to use my car.

So, my question is asked in the spirit of "if I were to get a wagon, how about this wagon" not "what is the best transportation in an optimal situation".

I have checked some older threads about bug out wagons but with a family of 5, and a finite budget, some of the other ones aren't too practical for me.

Edited by clarktx (08/18/08 04:34 AM)

#144559 - 08/18/08 04:37 AM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: clarktx]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Plastic is more then durable enough to hold up to abuse, my brother had 4-kids and one plastic wagon lasted through all of them. But a well made product be it metal or plastic would last for years.

If you are going to bug out on foot, and your kids are too small to carry much in a backpack. I would think a few 3-wheele bikes would work for storage, or regular bikes and a hitch of some kind on one of them so you could hook a wagon to it and pull it with the bike.

Edited by BobS (08/18/08 05:02 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#144564 - 08/18/08 06:24 AM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: BobS]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I had one similar when I was married to my ex the horse fanatic. It saw some ROUGH use for horse related projects from stringing fence to moving hay bales stacked as tall as I could reach to stack them and withstood it all while towed by a small tractor. One word of warning though, if you get a flat that wheel design is a bear to get the tire off without tools to repair it. I finally riveted a small box to the front that held a tool kit to pull the wheel apart with and a patch kit for in the field repairs. A bicycle tire pump mounts to the tow bar nicely by the way.

#144573 - 08/18/08 12:31 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: clarktx]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you want/need a wagon, from the pics and info that one is probably as good as any in the price range. A lot, in my opinion, would depend on the terrain you intend to drag it over/through including any obstacles that might be on the ground. Good idea on the tire fixin' stuff, 'specially the pump...

#144574 - 08/18/08 12:46 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I would think you can carry lots more and easier with one of these "garden carts".

http://www.norwaycarryall.com/carryall.html

We use one of these to haul horse manure to our compost area. It hold a LOT of weight and is tough as nails. The big wheels roll over bumps and curbs easier too. Note that they offer "thorn-resistant" wheels too.

It won't pull behind a bicycle or similar though.

I also have one of the aluminum folding Foldit carts that the same web site sells. I sometimes use it to help haul gear longer distances when out camping. Though it folds nicely, it is not NEARLY as tough as the plywood version.

#144577 - 08/18/08 12:58 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have used one of those. They do haul a lot, but I disliked the fact that you have to lift/support/carry a portion of the weight while moving the load. Hard on this old guys already bad back and shoulder. But then, I don't like pulling a wagon much either...

#144581 - 08/18/08 01:20 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I don't like pulling a wagon much either...

Agreed!

For me the realistic "bug" options are:

Bug in ... or ... bug out with the travel trailer and gear already stowed in it (if it survives whatever is causing us to bug out).

#144590 - 08/18/08 02:24 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: KenK]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Clark,

Some thoughts:
1. Having spent a eight hours pulling the kids through RenFests in a wagon, I'd have to say pulling a wagon by its handle sucks. The angle is all wrong which plays havok with the back. Because of this I like KenK's "CallyAll" wagon. The CarryAll style is very popular in China, a people who excel at finding the most effcient way of moving heavy loads via human-power.

2. The downpoint of the carryall-type is that it ties up both your hands. This leaves you vunerable to attack. Mounting a gun in a quick-release catch on the handles would help this some.

3. Another possiblity for the regular wagon is to pull it using some sort of harness. This would free both hands and avoid the back-wrenchiness. Add a quick release for emergency escapes is vital. Downside of a harness is going downhill or making quick stops. Keeping the wagon from slamming into you could be tricky.

4. Besides bugging out, the wagon may also be used in hauling supplies from the distribution point back to your home. I've seen a lot of footage of people waiting in line for ice/water/food then trying to carry it all home in their arms. Just a thought.

5. The ability to be pulled behind a bicycle is a big plus. You could make some sort of bracket to hook the wagon to a bike, but it'd be much harder to do that with the CarryAll.

-Blast, thinking but not really helping
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 272 Guests and 91 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.