Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#139213 - 07/10/08 12:54 AM THE IDEAL CANTEEN POUCH
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

THE IDEAL CANTEEN POUCH

Have you seen all the 1-quart canteen pouches available on the Web?
I initially made the assumption that all these other 1-quart canteen pouches are being offered as an alternative to the original. I was wrong. Many of them are not large enough to hold the canteen with its cup and stove attachments.
Subsequently, I have been searching high and low for the ideal canteen pouch, without success, but in my search I believe I have arrived at the ideal design.
As all descriptions need to start somewhere, I will use the photos below of Tactical Tailor’s Canteen Utility Pouch as my base-model, since theirs is the closest to ideal that I have found.

Here is their quote: “The Tactical Tailor Canteen Utility Pouch is designed as a general purpose pouch that will fit a standard 1qt canteen (without cup) or most 1 litre water bottles. It has an adjustable quick release buckle, Velcro closure, and attaches with two long Malice Clips (included). The pouch measures 8.5"H x 5"W x 3"D. Available in OD, Tan, Multicam, ACU, Ranger Green, MARPAT Woodland and MARPAT Desert.” It sells for $23.50 http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=144

As you can see from the product description, the Tactical Tailor design’s main drawback is that it does not fit the canteen cup and stove. The military intended for the canteen, the canteen cup, and the canteen cup stove to be stacked together and carried in the same pouch.

While I think (other than size), Tactical Tailor’s pouch is an ideal base-model, here is a list of some specific things I like about the Tactical Tailor pouch:
1. Fixed position female buckle piece to facilitate easy one-handed flap closing.
2. Adjustable buckle strap.
3. Non-black hardware, so it is non-reflective to night vision.
4. Overlapping lid-type closure flap (so mud, debris, and airborne contaminants are positively kept off of canteen and out of pouch, and also so the pouch can be used to securely hold things other than a canteen if needed).
5. MOLLE attachment on back, so ride height is adjustable, and so it is compatible with other MOLLE gear.

I want this pouch to be maximally useful, and the one that soldiers and other outdoor enthusiasts would choose first if given the option. I believe that the Tactical Tailor pouch needs the following improvements to make it the perfect canteen pouch:
1. Large enough to hold both the canteen cup and the Natick stove (photos below) that fit around the canteen cup. All three pieces (canteen, cup, stove) should slide in/out easily together.

2. Attachment straps (similar to the one in the photo below; RS Tactical Gear [theirs too does not accommodate the cup and stove]), but that go all the way around to the back, so a small pouch can be carried on the front and/or sides. The attachment points will be for one or more pouches to hold iodine or chlorine dioxide tablets and/or other water purification materials, trioxane or other fuel, one or more lighters, spoon, etc. The stitched-on pockets that I have seen on some pouches are not versatile or secure. They are either the wrong size and/or they do not close positively enough (I don’t like Velcro closures, except as a back-up to an already existing positive closure, in which case it can be silenced when necessary with another piece).

3. A grommet water drainage hole on the bottom. I’m debating the usefulness of this. I think the Tactical Tailor pouch has one, and in which case I say leave it there.
Suggestions/Comments?
4. I am also considering a top hole with flap closure to accommodate a drinking tube (photos below). I don’t want to compromise the top flap though, so if done it would have to be well thought out, and besides, I think the drinking tube could be bent underneath the top if the top is fitted loose enough, so I am leaning toward “No” here.
Suggestions/Comments?

This canteen pouch design, even without improvements #3 and #4, would be the best (in my opinion) canteen pouch available, as it most importantly, incorporates the entire canteen water/cook-set system and provides for all its needs in one pouch assembly (with accessory pouch(es) attached), as any alternative military 1-quart canteen pouch should.
I have discussed these ideas with Tactical Tailor, and while they can do a custom pouch, it will cost $150 for the prototype. They also told me that after I approve the prototype, additional pouches will cost $25-$30 each, for as many as I want. That seems reasonable to me. I only need help covering the cost for the prototype. If you want a pouch as I have described, let’s get together and put in a group order with Tactical Tailor.
Suggestions/Comments???

#139217 - 07/10/08 01:07 AM Re: THE IDEAL CANTEEN POUCH [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I applaud your post and effort!

#139220 - 07/10/08 01:13 AM Re: THE IDEAL CANTEEN POUCH [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
There is no doubt, at least in my opinion, that a GI canteen needs a cup and stove. Tactical Taylor makes good stuff, and several years ago a friend was working with them for a special design mag pouch to fit on the stock of an AR-15. This was for a medium sized law enforcement agency, not necessarily a huge order. They were working well with him, building several prototypes. So you may have good luck.

Side note, we visited the TT store 'bout a year ago, place was full of GI's buying gear before heading to the sandbox. It really irritated me that US soldiers have to spend their own money (and TT gear is not cheap) on stuff the gov should be providing...

#139229 - 07/10/08 02:25 AM Re: THE IDEAL CANTEEN POUCH [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The TT pouch has a grommet- I just got two to carry real water bottles rather than the minis I've had in the ditch kit for years. Can't comment on the canteens, but they hold a Nalgene or Goyoet (sp) and GSI or Olicamp cup perfectly.

Have you checked out the Maxpedition M-4? It might worth looking into.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=6&idproduct=157

And if you really need it custom, Tactical Tailor and High Speed Gear Inc are both good people to talk to. I know of several one of a kind items they've done for people. I almost had them make me an X-harness for my MAV-2 that would have had hydration carrier built in, but it turned out that it wouldn't work so well with my habit of wearing my MAV backwards as a lumbar pack when I don't have a bigger bag.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 616 Guests and 139 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.