Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139044 - 07/09/08 03:23 AM Snakebite First Aid
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Any thoughts on snakebite first aid? antivenom kits are not an option, available only by prescription. to my understanding, and tournaquit and sucking the venom out seems to be the best chance...

#139046 - 07/09/08 03:26 AM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
This topic has been discussed here in depth, if you do a search you should find lots of information. Probably none of which will really help you in your situation...

#139047 - 07/09/08 03:29 AM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: Chaotiklown]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

WRONG!WRONG!WRONG! Those old Cutter type kits do more harm than any possible good. If you are snakebit by a VENOMOUS, and I was twice by my own stupidity;The ONLY medical action is to remain calm and get to proper medical help ASAP, only taking time if needed to properly I.D. the snake.A non venemous bite is still cause for concern and should be properly examined and a tetanus booster and possibly supportive antibiotics given.

#139049 - 07/09/08 03:32 AM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

None of this will be an option. I will be deep in the woods anywhere from one to two months. I'm asking if there's any makeshift snakebite first aid that will give me half a chance if bitten, medical attention excluded

#139051 - 07/09/08 03:38 AM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Well, re the "tournaquit," the general rule is that you only apply one if you are willing to lose the limb it is attached to; and once applied, it is only to be removed by a doctor.

Re suction, a Sawyer kit probably won't do any harm, it might suck some venom out. But don't even think of making any of the old fashioned "X" cuts over the punctures!!!

#139055 - 07/09/08 04:26 AM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
A simple Google search will give you or anyone else for that matter, the most up to date info available on the treatment of venomous snakes.

A couple of things, first off, you DON'T use a tourniquet to treat snakebite. If you feel you must go against all of the current medical protocols, you might use a constricting band, which slows down the venom. A tourniquet cuts off blood flow and can lead to gangrene, amputation or death if used improperly.

The only method that should even be considered other than that which is recommended by medical professionals would be the use of an extractor, not the old fashioned suction cups and razor blade method.

You have much better than "half a chance" if you take reasonable precautions, are an otherwise healthy adult and use common sense while in snake territory. You didn't mention where you were going "deep in the woods" at, that will also help determine the odds of you surviving. There are only a few species of poisonous snakes in the continental U.S. If you're in an area not frequented by any of the poisonous species, your odds of surviving increase rather dramatically.

I'd also look up the latest statistics on venomous snake bite cases in the U.S., might make you more at ease when you realise just how few people actually die from them.

John E

P.S. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor am I a herpetologist, but I am a nationally registered EMT and know a bit about treating snakebites.

Edited by JohnE (07/09/08 04:27 AM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#139065 - 07/09/08 10:27 AM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: NightHiker]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

If medical attention is out of the question, then NightHiker, along with OBG's suggestion of a Sawyer extraction kit is what I would do. The Sawyer kit is said to be able to drain up to 50% of the venom injected, assuming you can kill the snake and get it into use within the first couple of miniutes. Not something to rely on IF medical care/anti-venom is an option. If however medical care is NOT an option, it is better than nothing. Every little bit of venom drained is less venom in your body, and the psycological calming effect of having done somthing other than panic will help keep (or should help) your heart rate down....... Just my 2¢ Good luck on your journey.

-Bill Liptak

#139079 - 07/09/08 01:30 PM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: NightHiker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

One bad boy you really need to avoid is the Mojave "Green" Rattlesnake. This guys venom is approximately 16 times stronger than the sidewinder, and its venom, "...which it uses to immobilized its prey and defend itself, attack both the nervous system with nuerotoxins and the bloodstream with hemotoxins..." "This is probably the most dangerous snake in North America. It is aggressive..." We spent six months in Mojave country recently, and have talked to several locals who swear that they have been chased into the bed of their pickups by a Mojave they had managed to irritate.

Link

#139090 - 07/09/08 02:23 PM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Hey, thanks guys, lots of information here... I'll be hiking in the Appalachian, or "Blue Ridge" Mountain range... I will be in the woods for approximately a month and a half, so I will need to rely on what information I have, rather than proper medical attention. I'll check out this "Sawyer Sucker" that's been referred to, sounds like a pretty good idea... Thanks everybody!

#139116 - 07/09/08 04:35 PM Re: Snakebite First Aid [Re: Chaotiklown]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Call or email a trauma doc or center in the area you believe you might encounter a problem. If you have your own doctor, you may be able to get a presecription for whatever the other folks recommend.

Check wilderness first aid sites on the 'net.

Then you can make a cost-benefit analysis of whether or not to carry whatever.

Edited by dweste (07/09/08 04:36 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.