The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132975 - 05/15/08 02:13 PM Honey in the first aid kit
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Hi everyone,

Has anyone put honey in their first aid kit? My first aid kit is complete with medical and first aid supplies, but incredibly after a minor burn I noticed the polysporin or related antibiotic cream was missing. I probably left this out because the kit is loaded with povidone iodine and alcohol as cleansers, and a second skin or moist gel pack for larger burns.

I used ozonated olive oil (widely used in Cuba and Russia for burns) as I have found nothing else that makes wounds heal faster, although some research on heparin for burns is interesting.

Unfortunately ozonated olive oil does not keep if it is out of the fridge, so it makes it impractical for a first aid kit.

I was thinking honey instead of an antibiotic cream. Family practice journals have started to publish case reports on honey being used in diabetic ulcers and other non-healing wounds with great effect when all else failed. The dehydrating effect of the honey is likely responsible for its antimicrobial effects, and it serves an obvious duel use as emergency fuel.

#132978 - 05/15/08 02:44 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: eric_2003]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I don't have any in my first aid kit but I do take about 2 cups worth when ever I go on a road trip or camping. It's way more than I need for breakfast or sweetening tea so I consider the rest to be 'medicinal' just in case.

There are reams of literature written about the benefits of honey. I even own a survival book that advises you to not bother with a first aid kit...that a jar of honey is all you need! It's a good book other than that bit of extreme first aid advice.

I'm no expert but I've read up on it. There are several things going on in Honey that cause it to be antimicrobial. It's slightly acidic, it contains trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide (created by enzymes which continue to produce it after it's applied...I don't think you could design a more effective slow release system if you tried), how it deals with water, as well as certain other chemicals...it's really interesting stuff.

I did a quick google and this link came up first. I'm not sure how credible it is but there is a ton of info:
http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/honey_intro.shtml

#132979 - 05/15/08 03:14 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: eric_2003]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
There is a growing body of medical literature showing the effectiveness of honey (in particular, types like Manuka honey from New Zealand) on wound healing, particularly slow healing wounds. The properties of the honey can vary quite a bit with the pollen used to make the honey, so stick with something like Manuka to get the full spread of benefits, like antibacterial properties. Some of the case reports in the medical literauature are pretty amazing. Certain ulcers/wounds that haven't healed in six months of intensive treatment suddenly starting to "pink up" and begin healing after just a few days of Manuka. It's not a magic bullet that will miraculously cure every stubborn wound, but it does seem to be much more than just an old wives' tale.

There is at least one company that has developed an actual commerical, honey-impregnated bandage that makes chronic wound care with honey much more convenient. I heard about it on the radio not too long ago. I wish I could remember the name of the company. IIRC, they're using this bandage at one of those specialized wound care centers mentioned in the radio segment...maybe at Lennox Hill Hospital in NYC?

#132981 - 05/15/08 03:22 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: Arney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Medihoney , per mr google...

#132983 - 05/15/08 03:27 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Medihoney , per mr google...

The company or product name doesn't ring a bell from the radio segment, but that certainly is the kind of product I was talking about.

#132985 - 05/15/08 03:44 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: Arney]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Our old IMP meals came with a tube of honey in a small foil tube(like a small toothpaste tube)They crystallized fairly fast, making it near impossible to squeeze out of the tube. I wonder if there is an easier way to keep it from turning.

#132986 - 05/15/08 04:03 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Heating crystallized honey will cause it to re-absorb water. It can be as simple as running it under a hot water tap or putting it in some boiling water (microwave works too...but not so much in the bush).

I've heard that honey which has crystallized (cold temperatures can cause it to start) to a solid is no longer anti microbial by itself. When it goes hard it squeezes all the moisture out of itself as it crystallizes and the straight water can allow bugs to grow at the surface of the crystals.

A sealed package/tube might not be of any concern if you liquefied it in boiling water before using it but you might have issues if you used a little home-filled tub like I do. I really don't know.

I wonder if that kills the enzymes that help make it good for putting in/around wounds? If crystallization didn't, boiling it definitely could. That brings up another point. Buy organic (or at least non-pasteurized) honey to make sure it still has it's enzymes fully functional.

#132987 - 05/15/08 04:08 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
i keep a 25g tube of Activon medical grade Manuka honey in my kit. have always used set honey on burns i have got at home something i picked up from grandma.

#132995 - 05/15/08 05:04 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: Jackal]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Is there a danger of some sort of diabetic shock with using honey?

#132998 - 05/15/08 05:37 PM Re: Honey in the first aid kit [Re: MoBOB]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
honey is used to treat ulcers of diabetes suffers so i would say no.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.