Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#130543 - 04/19/08 11:14 AM Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Though the subject of shovels and E-tools seems to come up from time to time I haven't seen much discussion on the Cold Steel shovel so maybe someone could find this worth reading...

For a little intro, I've often found myself in a situation on longer treks where I needed a shovel but had none at hand. I brought along a NATO E-tool about twice but it's pretty heavy and as with any folding E-tool it has some serious design limitations. So I basically left it in the car and went looking for a better alternative.

A little while ago I got an original Russian saperka shovel (1982 vintage). Lately I also bought the Cold Steel version and thought it would be interesting to compare the two. There is already a pretty good review on the Cold Steel shovel on the Web (www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/cs_shovel.html) but it's a bit too technical and doesn't compare it in a proper context IMHO.

Russian issue Lopata Sapernaya

The so-called saperka has been the standard Soviet/Russian issue shovel/E-tool for almost a century. It's basically a copy of the German WWI trench shovel, very simple and extremely robust. Unlike folding E-tools it has no movable parts so nothing can go wrong. It's also standard equipment on pretty much any Eastern Bloc military truck or 4WD.

The particular shovel I got was made in 1982 as indicated on the stamp on one side of the blade. It came with a green sheath with belt loops and a leather strap to secure the shovel handle. It had been very little used, only the edges showed slight signs of hacking. I think it spent most of the last 26 years in some quiet corner of an army warehouse.

A quick hardness test demonstrated that the blade was not hardened. The edges were only in the range of 30HRc, what you would expect from air cooled low to medium carbon steel. The handle had a few dents. It was also pretty roughly made (turned on a lathe) so it took some sanding to touch up the surface. Also, the wood was neither oiled nor varnished, so I coated it with Tung oil.

The shovel weighs exactly 600 grams (21 oz.) at 50 cm (20") length. The blade is pretty thin. It can be sharpened very easily with a file or stone.

Cold Steel shovel

While supposed to be a copy of the Russian E-tool the Cold Steel version nonetheless varies from the original in some details. First of all, despite the same size the blade is made of about 30% thicker medium carbon steel. That makes it quite a bit heavier than the original (27 oz.) and the balance is further down toward the head - almost exactly where the side edges start.

In general, it's better made with more attention to detail. The hardwood handle on my shovel is really good and very securely fitted. Unfortunately, it comes coated with varnish, which is quite slipperly and downright dangerous when wet.

The most important improvement over the original design is that the blade is in fact heat treated. The edge is about 56HRc, which is totally on a par with a good axe or machete. Actually, I've found a small spot on one edge where the hardness is a few points lower. Slightly inconsistent heat treatment, but still acceptable and well within limits for the particular application.

Quite typically for Cold Steel products there is a lot of hype around "their" shovel. It's being promoted as a versatile survival tool equally good at digging and hacking as well as throwing at a target. It must be said that the Russian E-tool (and all other such small infantry spades) was indeed used as a weapon very often in WWI and its use in hand-to-hand combat is still taught in some branches of the Russian army so far as I'm told.

COMPARISON

I was basically trying to find out how well these two spades would perform on a trek in my kind of environment (hilly woodland). Most of all, whether they could actually replace a small axe or hatchet for the usual camp chores - chopping down and limbing small trees, splitting firewood, cutting shelter poles etc.

I sharpened both shovels on a wet grinder and by hand before setting out. Neither had a sharp factory edge but it didn't take more than 15 minutes to get them sharp enough to shave paper.

I first tested the Russian saperka on a 2-day trek. Digging a large fire pit was easily done. I was able to remove the top layer of turf cleanly and I could shovel out the dirt fairly quickly, especially considering the relatively small size of the shovel head. The soil was very rooty but the sharpened side edges make short work even of roots as thick as my thumb. An ordinary shovel, despite being much bigger, would usually perform a whole lot worse in that department.

Then I went out to chop some firewood. I was instantly amazed. Penetration on all kinds of wood was excellent. I was worried that the soft, unhardened edges would nick quickly, particularly as I'd been digging the fire pit before. After about an hour of chopping and limbing the edges were visibly blunted but still cut well, mainly because the blade is so thin and the profile very acute. I never sharpened the side edges in the meantime but I never felt any loss of hacking ability.

The Cold Steel shovel had its first big field day on a 2-day trek over a very rainy weekend. Conditions were more demanding this time, especially due to the poor weather.

The shovel was put through pretty much the same tasks again. Again, the results were similar. Preparing a fireplace was done quickly. This time I had more chopping and limbing to do however, as I had to prepare shelter for three rather than just two people.

The Cold Steel shovel felt significantly heavier in the hand. After some 30 minutes of hard work my arm was already getting tired. Nonetheless, the edges survived the chopping much better (as expected), only getting a few nicks when digging or accidentally striking a rock on a couple of occasions. Gripping the handle a little closer to the head restores the balance somewhat, but at the cost of decreased range and power.

CONCLUSION

A couple of months later, after two dedicated tests, a bit more treks and general purpose work I can say that both spades work really well. I am impressed - I didn't think they would live up to the expectations (or downright hype).

As digging implements they're quite effective even on rocky soil with plenty of roots. I haven't tried snow yet but I'm pretty sure they could handle it all the same. Of course, the drawback of the short handle is that you have to kneel or stoop low while digging. Not very comfortable but on the other hand, if you find that unbearable you could easily improvise a longer handle if necessary.

As cutting/hacking implements they make an effective light double edged hatchet. It takes some getting used to the specific edge alignment. A bit hard to do at first due to the round handle but it becomes second nature after a few days.

The blade profile is thin, allowing for excellent penetration. With proper technique the blades don't bind in the wood excessively at all, you just have to strike at a proper angle. Splitting wood can be done as well as with a small hatchet (up to 20" overall length). I've been using axes, hatchets and billhooks since I was a kid and I can safely say that one of these sharpened spades is totally sufficient for wilderness camping/survival. They're basically something halfway between a light hatchet and big machete but a lot more effective and durable in temperate woodland than the latter.

The Cold Steel version has a much longer lasting edge than the Russian one though in practice, the difference isn't as dramatic. Simply put, with that kind of blade profile you don't need a fine edge to do the job.

Despite heavy use none of the spades developed any problems with loose or split handles. They can also be used for hammering stakes and shelter poles into the ground with good results (better than using a plain rock).

The Cold Steel shovel is heavier and a bit overbuilt. It could be made a little lighter and with that kind of heat treatment it would work just as well. Then again, it does make it sturdier and I feel it could take an awful lot of punishment.

There really isn't any comparison to the NATO E-tool at all. I will never buy any of the folding E-tools again. For digging alone they're perhaps acceptable and the D-shaped handle does offer a slight advantage. But the fixed handle design is far more versatile and foolproof.

The sheath on the Russian model is ok, the Cold Steel sheath is an improvement. In both cases I prefer to carry the shovel on the backpack (just as a hatchet). Belt carry is a bit too unpractical for my liking.

The difference in cost between the two is hard to evaluate. If you can get genuine Eastern Bloc gear directly from the source you could buy a real Saperka complete with sheath for as little as $15. Cold Steel costs a bit more but altogether still pretty inexpensive.

All in all, the Cold Steel shovel is an improvement over the original and well worth buying despite the extra weight. But the handle urgently needs improvement. The varnish coating makes it hard to control. I removed it with sanding paper and treated the handle with several coats of Tung oil. Boiled linseed oil would work just as well. Much better grip and better protection in the long run.

Lastly, there is a lot of talk about these spades being used in hand-to-hand combat. They've been proven in battle time and again since WWI so there is little more to say. Whether sharpened or not a fixed spade in any form is a terrific weapon at close range. At least as good as a small axe or machete, better than a large belt knife. I don't even want to know what damage a solid blow could cause to the human body or any large predator.

So, the final opinion: if you have to choose between a small shovel and a hatchet but can only take one tool due to weigh considerations don't hesitate and get one of these spades. With a little practice you will find them really useful. I know that from now on the Cold Steel shovel will be frequently replacing my hatchet on weekend treks.

Attachments
lopata1.jpg

DSC04016.JPG

#130546 - 04/19/08 12:18 PM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Tom_L]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
thanks for the review Tom_L

#130551 - 04/19/08 01:20 PM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Tom_L]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting, thanks.

I guess I should ask, did you try throwing either of them at a target???

#130568 - 04/19/08 06:14 PM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

No, I never tried throwing them. I guess I just don't have any need for a throwing shovel. smile

#130587 - 04/19/08 11:48 PM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Tom_L]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Me either, but it looks soooo cool on the Cold Steel ads...

#130591 - 04/20/08 12:15 AM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Tom_L]
Mogg Offline
Stranger

I've thrown my cold steel shovel on occasion.
While it throws reasonably well, I prefer a good hawk.

The shovel has a pretty fast rotation, which helps
it's chances of sticking.

It's light, though, and has to be sharper than an axe
to stick consistantly.

My wife likes it, though.

If, for some reason, I had to throw the shovel
in a woodland environment, I'd be more apt to
improvise a longer handle, and throw it like a spear.

Mogg.
must be the one
with the axe.

#130603 - 04/20/08 05:18 AM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Mogg]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

thanks for the review.

I didn't think they would be good at chopping, more like a "last ditch" chopper, glad to hear that they can chop well.

david.

#130606 - 04/20/08 11:39 AM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Tom_L]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
What testing did you do to determine the hardness?

#130607 - 04/20/08 11:46 AM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: williamlatham]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

A set of hardness testing files.

#130644 - 04/20/08 08:23 PM Re: Cold Steel shovel - review & comparison [Re: Tom_L]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Great review - thanks! I've been looking for something like this.

I sharpen normal garden spades all the time (I grow a lot of food). Every experienced gardener does this, to cut and chop as well as dig.

But I could never find a packable spade that would hold a decent cutting edge.

I also like the fact that it's a discreet defensive tool, should the need arise.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 614 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.