Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130238 - 04/15/08 11:44 PM As heard on NPR
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
At lunch, I was depositing my paycheck and listening to NPR and got to listen to this. The first half is "California == earthquakes", not really big news, but the second half was surprising.

About half, guess some are paying attention. Sure, the sample size was too small to have real meaning, but....

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#130241 - 04/16/08 12:26 AM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
This is such a dumb story (No offense intended; I've heard this on several sources now). They said this "30-year BIG ONE!!" about 10 years ago. So, really, they're totally recycling the story.

Wow, California will have an earthquake... that's like saying, the beach will have waves. No kidding.

Nice to see that some of their interviewed folks did have some stuff stored up.

#130246 - 04/16/08 01:36 AM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: MDinana]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I didn;t listen to your link, Ironraven, but I heard it too, that a major earthquake would hit California in the next........30 years. I think it was on Paul Harvey.

Why can;t my "studies" be on the radio? I have a prediction that's probably just as prophetic: It will rain in North America in the next.......23 days.

#130250 - 04/16/08 02:11 AM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
As I said, the first half... yawn. It was the interviews that I thought were interesting.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#130253 - 04/16/08 02:22 AM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: Stretch]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My thought exactly. An earthquake in CA in the next 30 years. Duh, so what???

#130270 - 04/16/08 11:39 AM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
They've been saying the same thing about the pending earthquake up in the PNW for decades now, it has been an impending disaster for so long people get calloused to the threat.

Now that we know of all these "overdue" catastrophies about to happen, I wonder if there is a prophetic message in there. Could it be that we're getting set up on a cosmic level, and that some trigger is going to put into play a series of unfortunate events that has earthquakes along the pacific coast, pops Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker, sets off the caldera at Yellowstone, spawning the big quake along the Mississippi, meanwhile the big chunk of island in the Canarys sloughs off from all the agitation, generating a monster Tsunami that swallows Florida, Manhattan, and much of the east coast, while a class 5 hurricane happens to be cutting a swath along the Gulf Coast. Now that sounds more like something out of the book of Revelations, don't it? Sometimes too much information can be a bad thing.

Maybe North America isn't the place to be for the near future.

#130283 - 04/16/08 12:58 PM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In the 60's I won some money from a coworker. Jeane Dixon, an astrologer and alleged psychic, predicted that most of CA was going to fall off before I could get back there (we were far away at the time). He swore by what she said. Surprising me not at all, she was wrong. Seems that after one little shake in SF many years ago people think that they are a common occurance.

"..Got some oceanfront property in Arizona..." George Strait...

#130289 - 04/16/08 01:40 PM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The sad part is that those 8 people refused to be interviewed because they didn't have an emergency kit, makes you wonder if they went out and put one together, and the ones that said they had one and were not sure where it was or if they did it was in the back of the garage, did the get it out and put it someplace handy? One can only hope it sunk in.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#130323 - 04/16/08 06:26 PM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
The sad part is that those 8 people refused to be interviewed because they didn't have an emergency kit, makes you wonder if they went out and put one together, and the ones that said they had one and were not sure where it was or if they did it was in the back of the garage, did the get it out and put it someplace handy? One can only hope it sunk in.

In my experience, if it does sink in, they buy inferior products, never test them, and assume they will be just fine if they need it!

#130334 - 04/16/08 08:45 PM Re: As heard on NPR [Re: Still_Alive]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
All to true, I've ran into people either talking about being prepared or actually camping with some, that end up using my gear because theirs broke or they didn't bring a certain item because they didn't think they needed it. I mean I have had people not bring a can opener but bring canned food.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.