Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121078 - 01/22/08 05:34 PM Anyone remember this whistle?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
A couple years ago, someone was selling the Fox 40 as a fundraiser. I believe it was some mountain rescue group, or similar to that. I bought a couple, and would like to get more. I'd rather the money go to something useful than just to some retail outlet. Anyone remember that?

#121124 - 01/23/08 12:41 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: Malpaso]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Sorry, but I don't recall that and couldn't find anything related via Google (the search engine - not Blast's eye protection gear).

I know a lot of folks really like the Fox 40, but after last summer when I unsuccessfully tried to get my wife's attention using my Fox 40 while walking across the farm field near our house I'm now devoted to the Storm whistle which is sooo much louder.

OK ... I'll admit that I still EDC a shaved down Fox 40. It pocket friendly and is certainly better than no whistle, but not nearly as loud as the Storm. You know the age old answer to the question "What is the best survival whistle?" ... the one you have with you when you need it.

Not intendng to hijack this thread, but any opinons out there on the Fox 40 vs the the whistle Doug packs in the PSP (can't recall its name)? I've been thinking that the smaller whistle might be a better pocket fit.

#121126 - 01/23/08 12:46 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: KenK]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Fox40 is the best whistle I've ever used and it's all I use now. A yellow Fox40 is standard issue for vest zipper pulls in my SAR group.

#121137 - 01/23/08 01:44 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: Malpaso]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
I recall seeing that thread, believe it was about 2-3 years ago and performed several different searches with the forum search engine, as well as review some older threads.

It might have been Polak187 or Minime, but when I quickly scanned a bunch of their postings I still came up empty handed.

IIRC the poster was doing this as part of his civic or church group annual auction or some similar event.

Hope this helps jog someone else's memory cells.

Regards, 32F

#121142 - 01/23/08 02:05 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: Comanche7]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
From a New Zealand SAR team newsletter:
"Last year the members of the Hamilton YSAR Group conducted a series of whistle tests during their weekend camps.
They found that the Storm Whistle was one of the best performers with an average range in the NZ bush of 400 metres.
This is 60% further than the standard SAR whistle that many people carry. Its range was 250 metres. Although the [Storm] whistle is slightly larger than the SAR whistle it is lighter and its bright fluoro orange colour makes it easier to find if dropped on the ground."

Opinions & test details:
http://www.ysar.org.nz/technology/Other.htm

#121148 - 01/23/08 02:54 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Whistles are very good to have. You can exhaust yourself shouting for help and still have a fraction of the effective range and duration of using even a mediocre whistle. Once in your teeth a whistle doesn't need hands to use and takes just a little more energy than breathing.

They are also cheap, light and fairly compa

#121149 - 01/23/08 02:55 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Whistles are very good to have. You can exhaust yourself shouting for help and still have a fraction of the effective range and duration of using even a mediocre whistle. Once in your teeth a whistle doesn't need hands to use and takes just a little more energy than breathing.

They are also cheap, light and fairly compact.

This later specification is what has guided my selection of whistles. I like the Fox-40. It is loud with tone that stands out well and is easily locatable in most situations. The one problem I have with the Fox-40 is that it is a bit bulky. It doesn't disappear in a pocket or hung around the neck.

The bulkiness is annoying, ideal survival equipment disappears until needed, and causes me to not want to carry it or leave it behind. For whistles it is something of a minor health issue.

Try this: Put a Fox-40 in your pocket or around your neck hung on a string and fall on it. How does it feel? Did it leave a bruise? How would it feel if you were slammed and bruised like this every hour or two? Possibly for days? How do you think it will effect your ability to sleep, function or love life? How would this effect your ability to survive?

There is an old saying: 'It isn't the mountains that wear you down. It is the pebble in your boot'. Minor annoyances wear on patience and drain the endurance.

This small consideration, bulk as annoyance and source of injury, led me away form bulky whistles. An alternative I found I like:

http://www.bestglide.com/nato_distress_whistle.html

It is not quite as loud, in my estimation, but being flat (easier to land on and keep smiling), dirt cheap and in a bright color has advantages.

#121179 - 01/23/08 11:53 AM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: Art_in_FL]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
If you want to buy a whistle while contributing to a good cause. Buy Dougs on aeromedix.
The Sock

#121237 - 01/23/08 09:02 PM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: ]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Its always better to have a whistle that not. The point shouldn't be what whistle between the two or three best and easily available should we carry, but that we should all carry plastic whistles with out a ball inside all the time. I think this list would include the Fox40 that I carry both in the Military (Camo) and at work (Bright Yellow). I whistle takes 10% of the effort a shouting and well over 10x the range.
boreal.net

#121241 - 01/23/08 09:21 PM Re: Anyone remember this whistle? [Re: BruceZed]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Also check out the Fox 40 Micro which is a flattened version. Ray Mears whistle of choice apparently.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.