The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123754 - 02/13/08 10:35 PM My Pack wieghs 18 lbs
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Based on my post about my pack in wieght vs. value joaquin39 asked me to post a list of what I carry in my pack and what it wieghs.
As it stands my pack weighs 18 lbs and this is the content list of my pack. This does not include my EDC, or the things that I would normally carry on me in the feild or wear ie.. fixed blade knife, jacket, hat, sunglasses ect.
My pack is an ALICE pack without the frame
1 Ferro rod and striker
1-blast match & tinder and 8 wetfires
25 matches
1 small bic
1 small generic LED
2 folding knives
2 bandannas
1 pair Brunton 10X25 binoculars
1 poncho and liner
100 feet Para cord
1 small FAK
1 pair military leather gloves w/liners
1 suunto compass
1 candle lantern
1 pack of zip ties
1 set of poly polypro long underware
1 set of BDUs
1 tshirt
2 pair merino wool socks
2 pair underware
1 casualty blaket
1 one-quart canteen w/ cup
1 small alcohol stove
1 watch cap and neck gaiter
10 water purification tabs
1 Schrade multi tool
3 mre’s out of original packaging, and snacks including dried fruit peanut butter crackers
Aside from the casualty blanket and poncho you will notice that I don’t have a shelter. That is by choice, I enjoy making and using my own shelters when in the field. My kit is made to ensure even if I can’t make a shelter for some reason I can make it through most nights. My BDUs are a little big for me but not huge, but big enough to go over a pair of jeans while wearing the poly polypropylene long underware. I can do the same thing with the shirts too. The boots I wear in the field are sturdy leather and are warm through most seasons but when I’m wearing my wool socks they are down right toasty. Combine that with the poncho, liner and casualty blanket I can make it through a very cold night without a fire.
My first aid kit is set up primarily for strains and minor injuries.
It contains
10 larger gauze pads
4-gauze rolls,
1sm roll duct tape
2 ace bandages (can be used to hold gauze pads or splints)
1 bottle of 25 Advil
1 bottle of 25 Aleve
1 jar Tiger Balm
1 emergency space blanket
10 packs of steri strips
1 pair tick tweezers
1 pack sterilized water to clean wounds
In individual packs are some Benadril, burn cream, itch cream, cleaning wipes, alcohol wipes, and cleaning wipes for my glasses.
My pack has been packed in the same basic set up for the last ten years or so. I have used it in all four seasons from Florida to Alaska (fall)and from California to Virginia.
Depending on specifics of a proposed trip I will add or remove a few things. I also have an aluminum 1qt. water bottle I carry with me and if it’s going to be an extended stay I will add a 2-liter generic camel back to the side of the pack and some more water purification tabs.
At 18 lbs I can afford to add some but being that I'm getting older I don't like to go over 25 lbs.

#123798 - 02/14/08 02:41 AM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: raydarkhorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...a pair of jeans..."

That probably means cotton, deadly when wet and cold. The polypro under them might help a little I guess. Same with the tshirt...

#123827 - 02/14/08 01:36 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: raydarkhorse]
joaquin39 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia,Pennsyvania, USA.
Hi Raydarkhorse,

Thanks for the list. It looks very complete. It helped me.
Thanks again.
Joaquin

#123831 - 02/14/08 02:00 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: OldBaldGuy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

I Guess I am not as worried as some people about cotton clothes. I know that there are better clothes to wear than jeans but I have been unable to find another pair of wool pants and I'm either not happy with the other manmade fabrics or unwilling to pays some of the prices of others. I'm 44 and I have been in the field more in jeans and BDUs than dressed any other way. I have dropped thru ice into creeks with jeans on and lived to tell about it. When hunting I have spent (unplanned) nights sleeping out on several occasions dressed in jeans and polypro. As long as a little common sense is applied with some survival knowledge and a person knows how to use the gear in his/her bag there a good time should be had by all regardless of what your wearing.

#123833 - 02/14/08 02:05 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: raydarkhorse]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
RDK... a couple of questions:
- Med or Lg ALICE pack?
- Alcohol Stove... can you describe that? (and I noticed that you didn't have any fuel listed in your inventory)
Nice list... sux gettin' old so you have to make hard choice about what to carry, huh? Wisdom becomes our best asset wink

-Matt

#123835 - 02/14/08 02:10 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: raydarkhorse]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi raydarkhorse,

Thanks for the pack list, these posts always get me thinking about my own set-up.

I have a question; for what type of event do you take this pack? Is it your day-hiking pack with backup supplies, is this the only stuff you take on a weekend hike or is this like your go anywhere, keep in the truck BOB?

The reason I ask is that I am a "gear horse" and carry a lot more than this when I go on a weekend trip, I really need to seperate my "needs from my wants".

Mike

#123837 - 02/14/08 02:20 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: jenkinma]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

It's a medium ALICE pack and the stove is a Taiga (I think thats the way its spelled) I have about 3 oz of fuel in the stove all the time. It has a rupper O-ring in the cap that keeps the fuel from getting all over my stuff. If I'm gonna be more than 2-3 dys I'll add anoher bottle of fuel. It's more for emergencies though I like wood fires under normal circumstances.

EDIT
just for the record this is the stove I have its a Trangia Westwind Stove

Edited by raydarkhorse (02/14/08 06:32 PM)

#123840 - 02/14/08 02:25 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
I've got to go with OBG on this one. During warmer weather cotton is a viable option; however in cold, and potential wet environments, cotton kills.

We've rescued many individuals during the winter wearing cotton clothing, most survived with various stages of hypothermia and/or frost bite . . . others didn't.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...a pair of jeans..."

That probably means cotton, deadly when wet and cold. The polypro under them might help a little I guess. Same with the tshirt...

#123841 - 02/14/08 02:38 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: SwampDonkey]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

It's my all purpose my pack. It’s my BOB, I use it for a day trips, for weekend trips, and I take it hunting. The gear I have listed is my normal gear for three seasons but in a pinch will work in the fourth. I have enough food for three days, but I can stretch it to 4. Normally if I am going for more than a weekend I add the camelback and some more food, and a couple of other things. But I can still feel comfortable with it without adding anything.

#123857 - 02/14/08 05:31 PM Re: My Pack wieghs 18 lbs [Re: raydarkhorse]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

-1 on the jeans. Great for working, bad for trekking. Wool pants are much better for cold/ wet seasons and a nice nylon for warm. Besides Jeans are heavy.

Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 275 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.