Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#123600 - 02/12/08 07:29 PM Ranger Rick Survival Necklace Review.
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
http://www.therangerdigest.com/

I just purchased one of these to have a play with and review for the forum. I must be absolutely honest with you: I expected to open the package, look at it and go "what a POS!" For the money ($25.99) I was not expecting a great deal.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It's actually very good value for money.

It has:
1) A ACME Tornado S.O.L.A.S. approved whistle (made in England). Excellent.
2) A L.E.D. torch that is basically a Photon clone. It's of good quality and gives off a decent amount of light. Again, excellent.
3) Ricks own patented dry compass. Quite robust. Settles fairly quickly. I can see advantages to a dry compass. Particularly in very cold conditions. I would rate this as good.
4) 2.5" x 1" signal mirror. This replaces the original polished dog tag. It's not as effective as a proper 3" x 5" signal mirror or even the one in Doug's PSK. But its a lot better than nothing. I think that you have a fair chance of attracting attention with it. For it's size and keeping in mind it's a last ditch item I would rate it as very good.
5) Rick's very own design of Ferrocenium and Magnesium fire lighting rod. This is one item that I took a very hard stare at. Having had some pretty poor examples. First thing that I looked at was the glue holding the rod to the magnesium. It is solidly glued in. It's far and away the best that I have seen. The flint rod gives off a respectable shower of sparks. Again; Very good.
6) A round red plastic container that contains 1 x unlubricated condom and 4 Aquatabs. Expiry date 2010. They are not MP1's but they are more than adequate for most situations. Again: Very good.
7) 1 x wire saw. Same type as the BCB commando saw. In a protective transparent tube. This is a solid bit of kit. Again: Excellent.
8) A small Chinese made 2" bladed half serrated lock knife. It aint much, but it will do in a pinch. Its OK for scraping magnesium off the rod and for striking a spark. I could gut a fish with it or notch a stick for a figure 4 dead fall trap. Just about. I could bang on about this that and the other about it, but I am not one of those damn fool's who want to pay next to nothing but expect Spyderco quality. Rating: Adequate

As it stands it is very good value for money, used either as is or broken up for parts in a bigger kit. It does however need one or two bits adding to it. Tinder, cordage and a one handed method of starting a fire. I intend to add a pill fob with Tinder-Quik in it, 6' of cordage and a Spark-lite. I am probably going to replace the Aquatabs with MP-1 tablets.

Final comment's:

As parts alone it's worth the money.
As a kit i think that it has a lot to recommend it.

#123610 - 02/12/08 09:25 PM Re: Ranger Rick Survival Necklace Review. [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I brought the ready assembled version. I have not dunked the container yet. $25 was total price via Paypal. so I presume that includes p&p for Europe. Either way it's a bargain.

#123632 - 02/12/08 11:56 PM Re: Ranger Rick Survival Necklace Review. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I like the lanyard approach to the PSK.
How do you plan to use it? Will this become part of your EDC?

#123633 - 02/13/08 12:01 AM Re: Ranger Rick Survival Necklace Review. [Re: GarlyDog]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Seems like a lot of stuff for a lanyard...or for EDC.

Then again my lanyard isn't much smaller and I EDC it by monkey chaining the cord and clipping it to the glove clip in my jacket pocket.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.