The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#120195 - 01/15/08 04:49 AM Spyderco knife update
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
A while back on another post I had described a Spyderco knife that was given to me as a gift. One Evening While I was gutting a deer with a friend the blade simply snapped in two pieces even though I was not pressing hard on the side of the blade or otherwise treating it in a rough manner. I was worried about sending it back as I had no receipt of purchase with the knife being given to me. I sent it to the company anyway, covered in deer blood exactly as it had broken in a box with a note explaining the story. Today I received a brand new shiny Endura 4 Spyderco knife complete with a hand written apology and a free hat grin Although I am not the biggest fan of Spyderco knives, I now know that their customer service is second to none. I just thought I would pass this along to all the Spyderco fans here on the forum.

Edited by Taurus (01/15/08 05:38 AM)

#120207 - 01/15/08 11:35 AM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: Taurus]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Pretty good service. That's strange to hear about the blade snapping like that.

#120215 - 01/15/08 01:51 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: Taurus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have owned a few Spydercos over the years and never had a problam. Nice to know that they stand behind their products...

#120226 - 01/15/08 03:19 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: Taurus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
For many years I didn't buy Spyderco knives because I didn't care for the cosmetics of their classic "hump". But now I've bought several and really really like them. That hump I disliked is very functional. I am especially enamored with their newer lower-end line: Byrd. Those knives give you quite a bit of bang for your buck. The Robin and Meadowlark are my favorites, and my EDC now.

Sorry to hear your blade broke. That's quite disconcerting. Spydercos customer service sounds fantastic, but it's still a little worrisome that you had such a catastrophic failure in the first place. A small percentage of even well-made products will surely fail, it just hurts when you're the one to get that one-in-a-million dud. I guess that's why many of us carry backup knives!

#120259 - 01/15/08 06:20 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: haertig]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
It just goes to show, even simple tools can break. This is why we test things out before hand, and even then, we carry back-ups.

#120266 - 01/15/08 06:49 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: Stretch]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
This apparently was a freak accident and they were really surprised after reading my letter. They sent the blade to be tested where ever they do that sort of thing in fear that a whole batch of blades may have been affected. It was funny because the blade snapped like a piece of glass. I was shocked as anyone when it happened. I always thought Spyderco made excellent knives, its just that I was never a big fan of the design. Mostly I don't care for serrated or semi serrated blades and most Spyders are. Knives are like beer I guess, in a pinch any one will do but in the end you will always prefer one brand over the other.

I was really impressed with the customer service though.

#120272 - 01/15/08 07:41 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: haertig]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
small percentage of even well-made products will surely fail, it just hurts when you're the one to get that one-in-a-million dud. I guess that's why many of us carry backup knives!

Yep, not to mention a back-up for the back-up. And also probably a back-up for the back-up's back-up.

Or maybe we just like carrying a lot of knives. whistle

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120282 - 01/15/08 08:52 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: Taurus]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Sorry to hear about your knife. It is rare for a Spyderco to break.

Their customer service is unrivaled. I had a G10 Standard get knocked out of my pocket, hit the asphalt, and break the lock. I shipped it back to them with a note. 2 days later I got a phone call saying they got the knife and were shipping me a new one. The next day I got another phone call apologizing that the knife was no longer in production, and would I like a Delica instead? I told them that I liked the Delicas, but the Standard was more expensive. He said he'd call me right back after he did some research. An hour later he called and said, "You're right. I checked the old price lists and the G10 Standard was almost exactly twice as much as an FRN Delica. How about two Delicas?" 2 days later 2 shiny new Delicas showed up in my mailbox.

Kevin B.

#120701 - 01/18/08 07:05 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: KevinB]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
anyone know a good way to blacken a shiny spyderco blade?
The Sock

#120703 - 01/18/08 07:11 PM Re: Spyderco knife update [Re: TheSock]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Paint (though it will rub off)

Or you could remove the blade, have it powder coated professionally. The heat from baking might effect the blade/edge

Or you could remove the blade and have it titanium nitride coated professionally. Not sure how that process would effect the blade/edge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 560 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.