Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119538 - 01/09/08 10:21 PM Making water safe to drink by SODIS ?
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I may be deploying overseas again as early as 09. Obviously the concept of survival takes on a whole new meaning and my thoughts will change from what to do if lost in the cold of Alberta while hunting to what to do if my chopper goes down in 50 deg cel heat. The Enemy is always the biggest threat, but the discussion of army tactics etc does not apply here and is best left for other forums. My second biggest threat to survival will be running out of water. This has happened on a few occasions and if resupply had not made it to us when it did things may have gone real bad. Being weak, dizzy and unsteady on your feet and wearing 50 pounds of gear with and empty camelbak is a very, very horrible feeling. There is a good supply of sun where I will be going, and water is issued in plastic bottles to resupply our canteens or camelbaks etc. Even though water is scarce there are a number of rivers that I remember but the water quality is VERY questionable to say the least. Although the locals drink it regularly, I know I would get quite sick due to all the little nasties that I am not used to. I will have a good supply of clear plastic bottles and plenty of sun, so my question is about the SODIS method to make water safe to drink(from germs at least). Does anyone here have any real experience and knowledge with this ? Does it actually work? I have read a few articles but I am a bit cautious on this subject. Where I live fresh water is easy to find so this topic is something I will only face when deployed.
Any info is appreciated.

#119542 - 01/09/08 10:55 PM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: Taurus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
It will kill a high percentage of living organisms, so decrease the
load which MAY be enough to keep you healthy.

SODIS is often used in tandem
after other water purification methods such as flocculation, settling, cloth
filters, biosand filters etc. This can greatly reduce the load and should keep most if not all folks in good shape.

I have used SODIS in Tibet, had no problems, but do not know if
there were any pathogens in the water to begin with.

I consider it a backup or an adjunct.

For treating water in a hurry for personal drinking I like
http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0024875.shtml
Pour it in and start drinking. The only one I know of that
has filter, iodine, charcoal all in one.

It looks like a water bottle, so your hosts will think nothing of
it when you pour your water in. It does not supply a lot of water
however, but is handy while waiting for other disinfectant methods to work.

#119562 - 01/10/08 03:30 AM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: clearwater]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
SODIS is a very viable way to purify water that is contaminated with bacteria. It is a way of pasturizing water using a double-whammy: ultra-vilet radiation and increased temperature.

"In 1991 EAWAG (The Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology) and SANDEC (EAWAG's Department of Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries) conducted extensive laboratory and field tests to develop and test the Solar Water Disinfection Process (SODIS)."

If conditions are suitable to raise the temperature of the water to 122F (50C), it only takes one hour to pasturize the water. It is recommended that the water be filtered first, even through a bandana.

http://www.sodis.ch/ and be sure to click on THE METHOD.

Sue

#119565 - 01/10/08 04:27 AM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That 50C is the kicker for most places the Canadians go. smile I'd rather have something in my gear that is compact and works fairly well, rather than have to trust that it will be a warm sunny day.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#119566 - 01/10/08 04:35 AM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: Taurus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have read about SODIS - after hearing about it here - but never tried it. It is reportedly only effective in latitudes around the equator (I'm too far north).

It would certainly be good to learn about SODIS, but I would want some quicker means of purification available if possible. Assuming you're talking emergency situations in hostile areas, I wouldn't count on sitting around in one place waiting for the SODIS method to work. I guess they don't use iodine anymore these days, which is what I used to use backpacking. But some other chemical means sounds like a better option for when you'll probably be on the move. I've never been in the military myself, but I assumed that water purification would be a topic that is taught. Along with providing you the means (chemicals) to do so while on the move.

#119567 - 01/10/08 04:45 AM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Taurus said he was looking at going to an area of 50C heat, so I would assume he would be in an area where SODIS would work. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the ONLY source of water, but it could be a good way to increase the amount of drinkable water he and his buddies have available to them.

I read somewhere that ground water in the U.S. is more likely to be contaminated with chemicals than most poor countries, as most of their water is contaminated mostly with bacteria, etc.

It's easier than a solar still.

Sue

#119568 - 01/10/08 04:59 AM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: Susan]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Susan
Taurus said he was looking at going to an area of 50C heat, so I would assume he would be in an area where SODIS would work.
Good point. I suppose routine temps of 50C pretty much narrow down the possible deployment locations! Still, it takes a while for SODIS to work, and it won't work if you're on the move with the water bottles inside your pack. It would be handy to have knowledge of SODIS for the times you weren't moving around however.

#119579 - 01/10/08 01:30 PM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: Taurus]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have used SODIS in Ecuador and have found it works well, but keep in mind I was pretty much near the equator and in many cases high up in altitude where UV was quite high.

Pete

#119591 - 01/10/08 01:58 PM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: haertig]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I always carry a purification straw for quick use, and a bunch of water purification tabs as a back up to that. Boiling water is usually not an option as the space needed for a stove is better used to add a few more mags of ammo. At home I carry a lot of nice luxury items while hunting etc but when deployed size and weight are a huge factor. As such, my survival kit is reduced considerably to make room for mission essential equipment. The water tabs the army issues are great(micropur mp1) but as each one is individually sealed they take up a lot of room in my kit. I carry at least 20 on my person plus more in the LAV. The problem is that depending on whats going on and the level of exertion it is not uncommon to drink 10-15 L of water a day in that kind of heat.(so 20 tabs wont last very long) It is easy to fill a bunch of bottles from a water source and place them on top of our LAV where the sun will beat down on them. Then if resupply is not avail then at least we have a backup plan for water. I would only attempt SODIS as a last resort if I had to, but on my last tour I learned the hard way that resupply does not arrive on time unless you don't need it(lol) I am glad that I could use SODIS as a backup until it does arrive.

Thanks for the replys so far.

#119601 - 01/10/08 04:23 PM Re: Making water safe to drink by SODIS ? [Re: Taurus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
SODIS will work at cooler temps too, if there is enough UV,
say at high altitudes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
2 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.