Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#119467 - 01/09/08 12:05 PM Portable grill/Stove
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My portable buggin in/out grill is starting to wear out and I'm looking to replace it. Its a Grill 2 Go , the plain grill to go in the third picture there and the plastic parts are breaking and the pant is coming off and I'm needing to replace the chinese made regulator for the third time so I'm going to try and find something better. I'm looking at maybe a table top model Has anyone ever used one of these?

The one we have it in two part, the grill and the base so you have to carry it with two hands and it takes a bit to set up the base and plug the side tables in and all that and its a little bigger than what I need for a family of 4, it can fit a dozen burgers, so I'm thinking of trying to shrink down. The cabelas one looks expensive and I've seen cheaper ones similar but i'm hoping this one will be better quality. Anyone know of other good quality ones?
I use this as our camping/power outage/bug in/bug out cooking.

#119479 - 01/09/08 03:25 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: Eugene]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have one of the Igloo's I bought at Lowe's and I only payed $75.00. Never had a problem with it, the stainless is holding up very well, I have mine hooked to a 20lb tank. I use it around the house and also I have taken it camping, For the price it's a great little grill.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#119481 - 01/09/08 03:34 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: Eugene]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
How about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Propane-Gas-Go-Anywhere-Grill/dp/B00004RALK/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

We've been using a grill similar to this (it may even be identical) for many years on day trips and camping trips. It's a friends, not mine, but looks identical to this one. It has worked very well.

#119485 - 01/09/08 03:48 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: haertig]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is yours this one or like this one, i.e. how is the quality, will I need to replace parts in a couple years.

#119497 - 01/09/08 05:38 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: Eugene]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Eugene, we are currently using a Weber "Q" grill and love it. It is a table top unit and uses the 1# propane tanks. Good heavy construction throughout. Cooks evenly due to the burner's oval shape. Excellent for travel and home use, and NOT as expensive as that Igloo.

#119502 - 01/09/08 06:18 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: Eugene]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Is yours this one or like this one, i.e. how is the quality, will I need to replace parts in a couple years.
It is my friends, not mine. I do not know if any parts have ever been replaced, but I highly doubt it. There's not much to replace. The regulator maybe. The burner could rust out I suppose. There's not much to a simple grill that requires routine maintenance or service.

The quality and utility are fine for what it is - a $50 portable propane grill. It's not hand carved from titanium by skilled craftsman or anything like that, ... it's just a grill. It has never failed our group on any of our trips, but I'm talking a sample size of one here, so nothing you could draw statistical conclusions from.

#119504 - 01/09/08 06:28 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
+1 for the Weber Q grills. I have a BabyQ and it is a fantastic barbecue grill. As a matter of fact I just ordered the skillet that goes with is.

If you want a tabletop stove, then, depending on the size you need, I recommend either a Coleman propane tabletop stove or an MSR Dragonfly backpacking stove.

I use a 20# LP tank with a Coleman propane tree. The propane Coleman lantern goes on top of the tree, and then there are two ports that attach to two hoses that can go to the Weber BabyQ and the Coleman propane stove. Its actually not a very inexpensive or compact setup, but it is a fantastic setup to use.

Ken K.

#119514 - 01/09/08 07:43 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: KenK]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

mainly i'm looking for a tabletop grill, I want to be able to cook about 4 burgers or hot dogs, would like to be able to do them right on it as a grill without any pots or pans like on a stove.
I'm looking for quality, our current one the igniter wore out the first year then the regulator, then the paint started peeling and the clamp that holds the sides cracked. I can tell it was made for occasional use not the every weekend use we used it for. So I'm looking for something that is built pretty sturdy to take a lot of use.

#119523 - 01/09/08 08:47 PM Re: Portable grill/Stove [Re: haertig]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Originally Posted By: haertig
How about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Propane-Gas-Go-Anywhere-Grill/dp/B00004RALK/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

We've been using a grill similar to this (it may even be identical) for many years on day trips and camping trips. It's a friends, not mine, but looks identical to this one. It has worked very well.

I have this one and have been using it for many years, beating and banging it around on camping trips and for light duty backyard use.

Works fine, stands up to what I put it through. Don't remember where I bought mine but if/when it dies I'll be on the hunt for one just like it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.