Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#116624 - 12/20/07 02:09 AM Another family not prepared is saved
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Here is a good ending to a story that could have been much worse:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071220/ap_on_re_us/missing_family

#116644 - 12/20/07 04:31 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Anyone who has ever believed that we're nuts to EDC gear like we do needs to join that family. For their sake I'm glad, as anyone would be, that they were found. It's amazing they went out into winter weather into the woods so unprepared.

Survival forum members rock!

#116662 - 12/20/07 07:42 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: hiker1]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm happy that they're all alive and unharmed.

After stories like these, I wish there were pictures of the places that the family sheltered, etc. Of course the priority is to get the people to safety, and not lose another person... It just makes curious...

In any case, he had a saw. What a difference something as simple as a lighter may have made. And a flashlight might have been nice. Et-cetera

From thoughts like that your mind starts going over the situation, or at least mine does...

The hazy dream lines warp the picture.
Doodle oodle doo
Doodle oodle doo

#116669 - 12/20/07 01:03 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Nicodemus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My first thought was that a GPS - especially one that had an electronic compass so it would point to where they want to go - would have saved them all the trouble and gotten them back to their truck (IF they'd have saved a waypoint at the truck). . .

But then I started thinking that they may still have gotten stuck in the truck because of the snow.

I keep coming back to the amazing PLB technology. Yes, it is kind of expensive, but it saves lives!

Ken K.

#116672 - 12/20/07 01:30 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: KenK]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
We can all probably list the things he did wrong. But it still goes to show that mental attitude is vital. He kept everyone's spirits up, didn't let the kids know he was scared, and used what he did have (common sense) to make the best of a bad situation.

The article says they sheltered in a culvert, but this morning there was a TV interview with the oldest boy, who talked about how the kids huddled under a tree whild the father cut branches and basically built a shelter around them.

#116673 - 12/20/07 01:35 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: KenK
My first thought was that a GPS - especially one that had an electronic compass so it would point to where they want to go - would have saved them all the trouble and gotten them back to their truck (IF they'd have saved a waypoint at the truck). . .

But then I started thinking that they may still have gotten stuck in the truck because of the snow.

I keep coming back to the amazing PLB technology. Yes, it is kind of expensive, but it saves lives!

Ken K.
First it's an EDC knife, then a lighter, then a GPS, next thing you know one of these guys will start carrying a backpack with equipment to build a shelter even though he doesn't plan to stay overnight. THEN he starts carrying a piece of gear he hopes to never use, he joins a forum much like this one and shakes his head when he reads about other clueless people getting stuck in a wilderness area.

I've never been stuck in the snow -- well okay, once twice with my Dad when I was a kid, but that's when I learned about limitations. I'll bet these kids are going through the shoulda, woulda, coulda thought process -- life lessons. Learning from your own mistakes is as good or better than learning from others, if you survive. These guys all made it -- class dismissed.

#116678 - 12/20/07 01:57 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
They can thank their lucky stars (and whomever else they might like to) that they survived.

<rant on>

I personally think that the father should be facing child welfare officals right now explaing why he put his children in such danger because of his poor planning skills.
Knowing that he is taking his children into the forest in winter and having absolutely no survival tools,very little knowledge of survival, food or water with him Just In Case is a criminal act in my mind.
He's a damned lucky fool in my book.
<rant off>

#116682 - 12/20/07 01:59 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Russ]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
It is good to hear that everyone is safe.

The question I have from reading the article: Is it legal to go up into the mountains and harvest a Christmas tree anywhere in CA? Where were they that this was OK to do in the first place?

#116689 - 12/20/07 02:16 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: GarlyDog]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
The question I have from reading the article: Is it legal to go up into the mountains and harvest a Christmas tree anywhere in CA? Where were they that this was OK to do in the first place?

i live in ca and that was of my first thoughts when this event began.

from the chico, ca paper at:

http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_7765652

"Sams (childrens' mother) said Dominguez and the three siblings drove up after church on Sunday to cut a Christmas tree. They already had a tree permit and only planned to stay a short while. The snowstorm had not yet hit the area."

#116695 - 12/20/07 02:31 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: 91gdub]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I personally think that the father should be facing child welfare officals right now explaing why he put his children in such danger because of his poor planning skills.

The problem is that the dad "planned" as much as any normal person and CPS would chalk ithis event up to an act of God, not poor planning. CPS (child protective services) probably would give the dad a medal since none of the kids died.

I've had to deal with child welfare officals a lot due to our adoptions. Saying anything more about them would enter political rant mode, so I'll stop now.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.