Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115315 - 12/10/07 02:06 AM Medical Supplies
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Hello All,

What do most people do for medical supplies? We have a first aid kit, but maybe we should have some other items on hand.

Dave

#115317 - 12/10/07 02:16 AM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: Microage97]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
It kind of depends on you level of training, how many people you plan on carring for, etc. Hard question to answer without having a clue as to that...

#115322 - 12/10/07 02:33 AM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: Microage97]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep burn gel packs in my kit, among many other things.

I feel that most home injuries are going to consist of minor scrapes and cuts, with an occasional burn (in the kitchen) and a rare, serious cut or laceration.

For the rare, serious cut or laceration, I keep a few OB pads and adhesive tape on hand.

About the only things that I have yet to get for my FAK is a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff. It has about everything else that I expect to need, including a Field Surgical Kit.

#115345 - 12/10/07 11:42 AM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: wildman800]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Well, I am no surgeon, :-)but I know some first aid and probably could stitch a bad cut up if I had to. I was just wondering what most people what families kept on hand, whither it is just a fak or something more comprehensive.

Dave

#115385 - 12/10/07 07:17 PM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: Microage97]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think the choices you make should consider both what you are capable of doing and the things you may be able to make use of in an emergency. I would begin by looking at a regular first aid kit and adding to that kit. Some additions I would make are some over the counter analgesics and I'd add something to combat diarrhea and cold symptoms. I would also consider adding something to soothe sunburn and prevent sunburn. In addition, I've added a few packets of second skin (good for blisters or burns). Look in your medicine cabinest and think about what you regulary use.

As far as sutures, I think the question is do you or someone else who is likely to be with you could put them to use. Would you have the right kind of suture to use in the circumstances with which you are likely to be presented? Would it be made of teh right material, in the right size, etc.? I can only imagine myself trying to sew a wound closed when I had absolutely no other choice; I could not clsoe the wound any other way; and without closing it the risk of death or serious health consequences was pretty imminient. I'd feel the same about anything that normally required a prescription.

#115390 - 12/10/07 08:37 PM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: Microage97]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I start with a commercially prepared first aid kit and then add/subtract as needed. What I've typically found in the FAKs advertising 150 items are about 100 bandaids that are suitable for razor cuts and nothing else. In a survival situation, shaving is pretty low on my priorities. Actually, unless I'm going to work or church, shaving is a low priority. wink

I weed through the bandaids ruthlessly, then upgrade the kit with more OTC medications, burn relief, trauma pads, gloves, etc.
The kits are a good start. Doug has some great recommendations for FAKs elsewhere on this site.

#115398 - 12/10/07 11:17 PM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: BrianTexas]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Dave

#115400 - 12/10/07 11:46 PM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: Microage97]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Microage97
Well, I am no surgeon, :-)but I know some first aid and probably could stitch a bad cut up if I had to. I was just wondering what most people what families kept on hand, whither it is just a fak or something more comprehensive.

Dave

(sigh). If you must feel the urge to sew someone closed, try to at least be in the general neighborhood of "correct" material. Fishing line is probably the best material for Macguivering. Silk probably is OK, but you do have a good chance of getting localized reactions (swelling, redness, etc). Avoid cotton thread. You should probably curve the needle before you use it (most sutures have curved needles, of various cross section shapes).

Most stitches come out after 7-10 days.

Make darn sure you clean the would really, really well, or you can create an abcess that can lead to sepsis, and potentially death.

http://www.operationalmedicine.org/Videos/HowtoSuture.htm

Personally, I'd probably staple or use steri-strips (the newer version of butterfly bandages). It won't be as pretty a wound, but it will be better able to drain, and thus have a decreased chance of infection.

#115415 - 12/11/07 01:54 AM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: BrianTexas]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
First my background...Former NYC Medic. Current FL Medic (with very liberal medical guidlines)....

We (my family) have a FAK. It contains the usual things...bandaids, kling, 4x4's, a 5x9, tape, tweezers, normal saline (NS) for varying uses, wipes...you get the idea.....

What else do I have..... I keep a larger amount of 4x4's and 5x9's and even a few 'trauma dressings' in the bulk storage. It is there for a number of reasons (not limited to hurricanes). I also have the stock of benadryl (both liquid and pill form) as well as the rub on stick for the bug/ant bites. OTC Aleve, Motrin and Tylenol. Antihistamines/Decongestants that we take as needed. I also keep a larger supply of sterile NS (again various uses-eye/wound rinse, gargle etc). More kling and gauze. Tape. Generally we keep the things that are basic but that you do not realize you will use so much of. Consider how often you need to change the dressing of (let's say) a bad road rash..... You will need a lot.

Yes I do have some sutures. I have them for the time that I may find us with someone who REALLY knows how to use them. Generally I would NOT be the one to do the suturing...now if I knew that there was a Doc or PA available then I'd have the supply for them to help me....

As for the Field Surgery Set...IMHO...don't spend the money.

#115426 - 12/11/07 02:41 AM Re: Medical Supplies [Re: MDinana]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Many years ago I was an Air Force medic. I sutured more people of all ages than I can possibly remember. For a few severe injuries I recall, I often wondered why I was doing it instead of a doctor on duty but those were the days when medics had to be relied upon to do everything under the sun.

I have seen a few commericially available suture kits. Most of them have instructions that say "take this kit to qualified medical personnel" or something to that effect. The trouble is, the variety of suture to match with the injury runs into the hundreds of varieties. There is a vast difference between the suture I would use on the bottom of a foot versus the face on a young lady, or to resolve deep wounds with a chromic suture. And there is a vast variety of suture thickness, flexibility, braided, non-braided, nylon, silk, etc. along with a vast variety of needle sizes and styles. There is also a variety of suturing techniques depending on the nature of the wound: soft tissue injury, muscle damage, tendon damage, vascular and nerve damage, etc.

For minor scalp lacerations, I have also used hair ties with a surgical adhesive.

A survival situation, inwhich suturing appears to be absolutely necessary, may leave you with whatever you have. But beware of complications: irritation, severe infection, drainage, reactions, fever. Proper wound prep is very important, which includes aseptic and sterile procedures that need to be followed as much as possible. There are risks: medical and potentially legal risks.

Administer first aid; then given the vast coverage of cell phones, if you can call a hospital ER and ask for medical advice, do that before attempting to suture a wound, IMHO.

I have several huge first aid kits, but no suture in them. If I were going out in the middle of nowhere, then I might add a commercially prepared suture kit. I do keep a couple of small curved needles, 6" needle holders, micro tissue forceps,one point sharp scissors, two point iris scissors and some very thin nylon unbraided thread that I could use, if I found myself in an unusual emergency situation. But even then, inspite of my experience, I would only use it with considerable caution.

I hope this war and peace post has helped answer your question.

Otherwise...beeeeee careful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 600 Guests and 157 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.