Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113163 - 11/21/07 09:10 AM Survival Bracer
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
I am designing a forearm bracer for my left arm. It is intended to be protective as well as housing for certain gear. It is made of leather with a spectra liner, and in addition has thin metal rods stiched to the outer arm area to further protect against slash knife attack. It covers all the way back to the elbow, and may even curve around somewhat. It also covers the back of the hand and incorporates hard knuckle pieces to facilitate a blunt offensive fist, if need be. Will it come with a watch? Probably. Maybe even a compass. Perhaps even a pepper spray canister triggered by the thumb on the side of the fore-finger. It might have a small compartment somewhere for small objects like a lighter. I also am designing it so it can function as an armgaurd for archery.
Well, I am wondering if anybody else was inspired by "Predator" to make something like this. I would like ideas from anybody brave enough to share them. Outlandish, on the edge of sci-fi, practical, even the downright absurd are all welcome for perusal. But I am most interested in a slim design with plenty of useful features and functions.

#113164 - 11/21/07 09:53 AM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: TQS]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Whatever the final product would be, make sure that all the parts are easily taken apart. All the components can be easily serviced and the whole thing can be easily removed/put back on.

Sounds like a cool project though! smile

#113165 - 11/21/07 09:56 AM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: TQS]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I had an idea a while back for sewing Kevlar and thin wire (or maybe like a chain mail) into a leather jacket to offer protection from knives and other sharp implements.

Something like that always made sense to me, since the natural reaction when someone comes after you with a knife is to hold up your arms over your face in defense. With the bulk of the jacket protecting your torso and the sleeves protecting your arms (and therefore face) you're pretty much covered from the waste up. It wouldn't help with needles, or anything like that, but it would help with slashes and sharp edges; say, from a box cutter or flying shrapnel.

#113172 - 11/21/07 11:37 AM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: Paul810]
NIM Offline

heehee neat idea. If you make them you will never be able to use them.

You can also pickup chainmail gloves and wear them inside leather ones. Nothing wigs-out someone who pulls a knife on you than when you grab the blade directly and they can't get your hand off of it (the chainmail digs into the blade and almost locks it on with little pressure).

-NIM

#113173 - 11/21/07 11:44 AM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: NIM]
NIM Offline

sorry, I should clarify. You'll never be able to use them as you will never be attacked by a knife. Fate is like that. The prepared usually aren't the marks.

I love the medieval post.

-NIM

#113179 - 11/21/07 02:12 PM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: NIM]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

You can buy cut and puncture resistant gloves. They're quite thin and mainly targeted at the law enforcement community.

I can't remember who makes them but I've seen them on the web while looking for other gear.

#113180 - 11/21/07 02:22 PM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: ]
CBTENGR Offline

#113200 - 11/21/07 10:55 PM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: CBTENGR]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: TQS
I am designing a forearm bracer for my left arm.

I had a similar idea of sci-fi tubular bracer a while ago, but I was inspired by Lila from Futurama smile I even molded it of clay in order to understand the optimum volume and geometry necessary to integrate some of my electronics and allow it to open/close/rotate/stay in place easily. That's a lot of space if you don't mind your forearm looking like 1"1/8 thicker than normal smile I was able to integrate my PDA, mobile phone, GPS, Keyboard, and 20 AA cells easily along with wires, in- and out- connectors, lids, locks, handles and even a couple of ventilation fans in each half of it smile It was still like 1/4 of volume available for more ideas. An that's not like just a storage for all that stuff, but rather a single integrated device. The only problem was that it's too individual in shape. So, something like cold liquid plastic sheeting will be required to mold the shape of the inner surface right in place. And yes, it will be quite heavy.

#113218 - 11/22/07 12:56 AM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: TQS]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Are we talking about Zombies? eek I would suggest head protection since they like BRAINS. Shotguns are a good defense for them.

Seriously... it sounds like a good idea. Anything that you need for defense and survival is good to carry on you, great location also. I get your point to fend off attacks.

#113221 - 11/22/07 01:39 AM Re: Survival Bracer [Re: TQS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...incorporates hard knuckle pieces to facilitate a blunt offensive fist..."

That part of your gizmo sounds a lot like metal knuckles, a felony, under CA law...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 596 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.