Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#111579 - 11/05/07 11:59 PM looking for a small folder
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Hi, I am looking to buy my dad a new pocket knife as a Christmas present. This knife will be for urban EDC, and used primarily for opening mail, boxes, and other small cutting tasks.

I'm looking for a small, good looking, high quality folder:

size: about a 2in blade
looks: non threatening, not to sporty or flashy, maybe something with a wood or an old school look would be nice
Locking mechanism: lock back, axis, frame, liner, etc, just something that locks
steel: good edge retention, I think he's getting lazy in his old age and doesn't sharpen his knives very often anymore. I just bought a Benchmade with 154cm and have been very pleased with that but am open to suggestions.
pocket clip: removeable, the last few knives he's had did not have clips, but I would like the option to be there.
Price: preferably around $60, but no more than $80

Right now the best I can come up with is the Kershaw Chive:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rio

#111585 - 11/06/07 12:24 AM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Rio]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I'm not a fan of Benchmade's "red" class knives, but the Benchmite would be worth a look. Depending on how much you'll go over on your budget, a 707 would be my preference (or a mini-Griptilian[within your price range].

Spyderco makes *several* small-bladed knives of high-repute. I think they're very well-made, but I'm not a huge SPyderco fan, so someone else will likely list what they think fits your criterion.

#111591 - 11/06/07 12:55 AM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Rio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#111594 - 11/06/07 01:01 AM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Rio]
bmo Offline

I second the Benchmade Benchmite (more enthusiastically than Stretch). I EDC this knife. It is a nice little "gentleman's" folder that is at home in a pair of suit pants or jeans. It is not expensive (I have found the second generation online for as little as $26.00, but more typically in the $35.00 range). It locks both open and closed (nice to know when your hand goes looking for that folder in your pocket). The blade is under 2" and it doesn't scare people. It keeps a good edge. By no means am I comparing it to the finer steels out there but you cited opening envelopes as one of the tasks. It can definitely handle the tasks you mentioned and much more. It is an excellent little knife. If you look around (eBay comes to mind) there are some first generation Benchmite models (Benchmite 310) with titanium handles and a decorative Celtic knot on one side that can go for $80.00 or more. The blade is a much nicer steel, but the mechanics and the dimensions are virtually the same.

#111602 - 11/06/07 01:53 AM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: bmo]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: bmo
I second the Benchmade Benchmite (more enthusiastically than Stretch).

Same here. I've got a ton of these Benchmites (blue class, black class, and red class versions), and I love them. For a small pocket folder their excellent. No clip, but that can be easily fixed with a clip from a pocket watch, like I did to the blue 310 in this picture:

I bought a few for my father (who has a problem finding knives he likes, since he doesn't like anything real thick in his pockets) and he loves them too. First good locking knife I've found him that he really likes carrying.

#111614 - 11/06/07 03:18 AM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Paul810]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Hey guys thanks for all of the advice. Is the Fallkniven readily found in retail stores? looks like it's worth checking out.

I was looking into the benchmites a while back but was a little disappointed to find that they discontinued the 310 with the 154cm blade steel. I'm a big fan of benchmade, but am not too familiar with the AUS8 steel in the Benchmite II. Any thoughts on how the AUS8 compares with 154cm or other blade steels would be great!

Thanks again,
Rio

Edited by Rio (11/06/07 03:23 AM)

#111617 - 11/06/07 03:38 AM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Rio]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Rio
Hey guys thanks for all of the advice. Is the Fallkniven readily found in retail stores? looks like it's worth checking out.

I was looking into the benchmites a while back but was a little disappointed to find that they discontinued the 310 with the 154cm blade steel. I'm a big fan of benchmade, but am not too familiar with the AUS8 steel in the Benchmite II. Any thoughts on how the AUS8 compares with 154cm or other blade steels would be great!

Thanks again,
Rio

Benchmades AUS-8 is about the same as their 440C. Won't hold an edge quite as long as 154cm, but IMO it's noticeably easier to sharpen. It's also a bit tougher than the 440 series steels IMO. It's not S30V or D2, but it works well in this blade. Most people wouldn't notice the difference.

#111644 - 11/06/07 01:53 PM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Paul810]
bmo Offline

I have to agree with Paul's assessment, even more so since he is also carrying both models. The older Benchmite 310s are still out there brand-new and in their boxes with papers, but I really don't think you are going to notice an appreciable difference in the blade steel.

Also, from the Benchmade site: "154CM: An American made premium grade stainless steel originally developed for tough industrial applications. Known for its best all-around qualities, it offers great corrosion resistance with good toughness and edge quality...AUS-8: A Japanese made medium-carbon, high chromium stainless steel, which offers a good balance of toughness, edge sharpness and corrosion resistance."

#111645 - 11/06/07 01:58 PM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: bmo]
Ready Offline

I would second the Fallkniven U2, fantastic little knife that gives you a lot of knife in a small package. It is light weight and slim enough to not even notice it. When you open it and grab the handle it just feels great and is strong enough for most tasks. I EDC this along with a much larger Benchmade. When I want a sharp knife I reach for the U2.

Can't go wrong with it.

Ready

#111647 - 11/06/07 02:11 PM Re: looking for a small folder [Re: Ready]
bmo Offline

I will have to check out and handle the Fallkniven U2 after the endorsements it has received. It really does look like a nice little knife. Does the powder steel require any special treatment when sharpening? How is the corrosion resistance? It is a nice and elegant looking knife.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 86 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.