Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#109031 - 10/18/07 08:33 PM New signal mirrors at County Comm
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Has anyone else tried out the new signal mirrors from County Comm?

http://www.countycomm.com/ccsignalmirror.htm

I find them excellent in their manufacture, finish and fit. I like their light weight, apparently high reflectivity, and crisp printing and sighting lines.

I was a little disappointed to find that there was no fireball or back-sighting feature. If I'm reading the instructions correctly, you're supposed to coordinate the reflection on your hand with the crosshairs, then move the crosshairs to your target.

I guess the idea is that if you keep the mirror in a fixed position relative to your eye, that calibration or alignment will hold across a distance. I don't find that to be the case.

In practice, it seemed more effective to use my fingers in a V. The spot of light seemed to drift well away from the crosshairs if any distance was involved.

Am I missing something?

Bear

#109036 - 10/18/07 09:18 PM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: dchinell]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
That looks like a good mirror...thanx 4 the heads up smile

I also saw that they'll have a Breacher Bar Tool coming soon. I don't know about you guys, but I want one.

P.S. I love the little note from the legal department @ the bottom of the page.

Quote:
A Note From The Legal Department: Although the EOD Breacher Tool was developed and designed to enter the real world of urban combat, and with a little work on a belt sander, grinder or a rock to it could be sharpened and converted to a Deadly stabbing or slashing instrument we can't recommend it. Likewise, The Flat on the handle end should not be used as a skull or rib crusher or for performing other blunt trauma. Be safe, and don't play with matches or run with scissors.

#109041 - 10/18/07 10:04 PM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: Themalemutekid]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Another note from the bottom:

A Note From The Legal Department: These Mirrors create a bright flash. Please use responsibly. Signal Mirrors do not work well at night.

-JAce

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#109047 - 10/18/07 10:35 PM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: dchinell]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have 3 of them in my basket. Without a fireball though I am going to skip them and order more from Rescue Reflectors. They are my favorites and not that much more.

#109049 - 10/18/07 10:38 PM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: climberslacker]
SoarnEagle Offline
Stranger

I have been reading backwards in the forum (have already covered 100+ pages) and just came across a signaling mirror thread which I was about to respond to. Since I saw this thread as I logged in I will add it here.

I carry as a signaling mirror an old rectangular, ladies' makeup compact. You can use it as is or you can drill (carefully) a hole in the center for sighting. Not only is it almost breakproof since it is in the compact, but I toss a bunch of fire tinder in the compact as well. I use cotton balls (100% cotton) either with or without vaseline. These will also ensure that the mirror doesn't break if dropped.

It is virtually breakproof; it is a real mirror, not metal; It is lightweight & slimline; it is a tinder holder or it can be used as a complete micro kit, and best of all (as I try to do with as much improvised equipment as possible) it is free! Why buy when you can make it free and many times come up with a better product?

Just my $.02 worth...

Soarn

#109054 - 10/18/07 11:21 PM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: SoarnEagle]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

You really need to borrow a real signal mirror and compare the ease of use to the compact homemade. I am guessing you will find that there simply is no comparison. A Rescue Reflector mirror is vastly superior to any other signal mirror I have used (real ones) and infinately superior to improvised devices. A flat mirror with a hole is useful, but will pale in comparison.

Some stuff is really worth buying.

#109060 - 10/19/07 12:25 AM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: Schwert]
SoarnEagle Offline
Stranger

Schwert...

Thank you for your input smile I do appreciate what you said. I am quite proficient with the compact, so I don't need the store brought item. But I am sure that it would be much easier for others that aren't familiar with the technique.

One of the problems that I foresee, however, with that approach is as follows. I learn every piece of equipment that I carry. I know how to use them, and what their limits are. Many (or perhaps not) who buy the storebrand.. with the fancy instructions will place it nicely in their kit without any understanding of how to use it efficiently (It has instructions after all). But when you see that chopper or airplane going 200 knots at 4 miles distance it is NOT the time to learn to use your equipment.

I have seen E-kits with brand new mag bars, unworn paracord, compasses without a scratch, knives that don't have a mark on them and the original factory edge untouched, etc, etc, etc. As a teacher that bothers me. People think that because they have a kit they are prepared. That kind of thinking is what kills people in an emergency.

You need to OWN your skills, and that includes equipment usage. When I put together my own equipment I know it's pro's, con's, limits, and usage. I test it until it works "for me". And whether one buys a store item or makes their own tools, they need to work with them until they "own them". Like in the military where they teach you to take apart your weapon, clean it, and put it back together blindfolded. If we can't use our equipment efficiently then we shouldn't take it with us for it will do us no good.

Thanks again for your encouragment on trying other products smile It is great advice...

- Soarn

Edited by SoarnEagle (10/19/07 12:27 AM)

#109071 - 10/19/07 01:16 AM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: SoarnEagle]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Point taken. However I still would encourage you to try out a signal mirror with a fireball.

There are loads of threads here and other places where folks carry old CD's, harddrive disks, polished Altoids tin lids what have you..

I would almost bet money they would toss those improvised devices for a real fireball mirror in a second if they used them side-by-side.

Once you use a fireball mirror it is obvious if you want to hit that plane going by at 200 kph, you had better be practiced and you will be much better off using a real signal mirror.

#109078 - 10/19/07 01:30 AM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: dchinell]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I recently purchased a couple of these mirrors from County Comm. They are actually quite nice. I was able to pick one up and aim the flash after just a couple of minutes of practice. They are sturdy and lightweight. They also come in a nice nylon case. Not a bad deal.

#109089 - 10/19/07 02:03 AM Re: New signal mirrors at County Comm [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Jace, you'd amazed how many silly people there are on this rock.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.